In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Turkey opener thread 2, Ohio

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by swags, Apr 21, 2014.

  1. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    I was frustrated coming into season because all my spots that normally have turkeys had nothing. So this morning was opening day and I headed to a farm I hadn't hunted in a few years. Didn't know if there would any birds but wanted to at least get out. Had a bird gobbling three properties over and could just barely hear him but he was going nuts. I called enough to let him know I was there and waited for him to fly down. Soon after I heard a gobble a little closer but he was headed in south instead of west to me. So I kept calling a little and he kept answering, took him a whole but he made it over. The last 100 yards were the hardest, he hung up just inside the woods and wouldn't come out and cross the field to me. But I finally coaxed him out. Wow that guy out on a show too, he triple and quadruple gobbled constantly. What a great morning to be in the woods, amazing how excited a gobbling turkey will is. He had me all worked up.
     

    Attached Files:

    splitoak, basod, Chvymn99 and 7 others like this.
  2. bocefus78

    bocefus78

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2013
    Messages:
    3,694
    Likes Received:
    19,840
    Location:
    Indiana
    Niiiiiiiiice! I love it when they put on a show like that! I will be calling for my new neighbor, so I probably wont be shooting this year. Our opener is Wed. (Indiana) and I have not done any scouting. Owl hooter is gonna get a workout unless we get lucky Wed. morning.
     
    swags likes this.
  3. foragefarmer

    foragefarmer

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,479
    Likes Received:
    4,567
    Location:
    Central, Virginia
    Sweet, sounds like a fantastic hunt! Congrats.:thumbs:
     
  4. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Awesome bird right there! I won't get out until Saturday (thanks work) but am looking forward to it.
     
  5. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    Nice bird Swags! We cooking him at the GTG? ;)
     
  6. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Heck ya
     
    DexterDay likes this.
  7. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    Yes!!!! :thumbs:
     
  8. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    Man y'all season is late!! Ours ends today.
     
  9. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Ya and PA just starts this week, I think maybe tomorrow or Saturday