In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Sugar Maple Confirmation?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by John Harris, Dec 17, 2018.

  1. John Harris

    John Harris Guest

    Can someone please confirm for me if this is sugar maple? From a Craigslist ad, and I want to make sure I don't come home with norway maple...have enough of that already. Thanks!
     

    Attached Files:

    Woodsnwoods, Hammy, Slocum and 4 others like this.
  2. huskihl

    huskihl

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2016
    Messages:
    3,719
    Likes Received:
    21,422
    Location:
    Michigan
    Looks like sugar to me. But it's harder to tell if it's limb wood
     
    Woodsnwoods, Hammy, Slocum and 3 others like this.
  3. amateur cutter

    amateur cutter

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    5,997
    Likes Received:
    48,771
    Location:
    Gun Lake MI
    I think Sugar as well, but many say Norway burns almost as well.
     
    Woodsnwoods, Hammy, Slocum and 2 others like this.
  4. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,283
    Likes Received:
    66,660
    Location:
    IN
    Could be? Looks a little red maple-ish to me though.

    Most of the sugar maples I'm used to seeing have lighter bark but it's hard to tell when wet.
     
    Woodsnwoods, Hammy, Slocum and 5 others like this.
  5. John Harris

    John Harris Guest

    Thanks for the responses. I have limited storage capacity so I need to be picky! Will let you know how it works out. JH
     
  6. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,645
    Likes Received:
    130,661
    Location:
    Vermont
    My guess was red maple based on color.. Could be wet, limb anything.
     
  7. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,179
    Location:
    Central MI
    Could be soft maple but don't think so.
     
  8. mr.finn

    mr.finn

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2014
    Messages:
    618
    Likes Received:
    2,703
    Location:
    Mass
    Can you get a close up of bark or maybe a split?
     
  9. John Harris

    John Harris Guest

    I am planning to go by tomorrow afternoon to take a look. Will get a pic. Thanks!
     
    Woodsnwoods and amateur cutter like this.
  10. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,718
    Likes Received:
    224,382
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    It's all good.
     
    amateur cutter likes this.
  11. John Harris

    John Harris Guest

    I went out and got about 10 large pieces of the maple yesterday afternoon. The tree must have been at least 36" in diameter prior to cutting. All that was left was the first 10' or so of the base trunk. So others got most of it. Pics below. Seems to match up with sugar maple images I've found online. The wood is a really beautiful color, not as light as the silver maple that I have. Can't wait to burn it.
     

    Attached Files:

  12. mr.finn

    mr.finn

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2014
    Messages:
    618
    Likes Received:
    2,703
    Location:
    Mass
    that bark looks just like sugar maple, great score
     
  13. amateur cutter

    amateur cutter

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    5,997
    Likes Received:
    48,771
    Location:
    Gun Lake MI
    Nice score, pretty sure on Sugar now. Split that a bit bigger & you'll have some nice overnighter's.