In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Taking the plunge with non ACA health insurance

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by wildwest, Dec 11, 2018.

  1. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,644
    Likes Received:
    144,582
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Wish us luck.

    It should loosen the slow but steady 5 year drain off our savings. That said, if something really terrible happens, we're not any ahead with our current obamanotsoaffordablecare that we can get here (ONE provider on the marketplace in Wyoming. ONE. ), it's double this cost of this plan. Non ACA penalty appears to be about $1500 though I heard that might be repealed.

    2014 ~$900/month for one adult with child, not including me-- (triple what we paid for all 3 of us 2013 including my pre-existing Sclero). I left the coverage so it's just those 2 now.

    Fast forward 5 years

    2019 after year after year of increases they are ~ $1350/mon for same adult and child in 2019 with no health concerns beyond an occasional earache or bad cold. And an extra $88/month savings, we have to pay separate for dental for them, Obama does not cover dental after age 6 in children nor any adults.

    Editing to add about the pics. Yes we make more than $64K. No, we do not make more than $97K. the pricing is a hot icky ugly racquet mess. I guess if we got divorced or adopt another child we could not be exploited?
     

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  2. In the Pines

    In the Pines

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2018
    Messages:
    1,454
    Likes Received:
    8,076
    Location:
    Ohio
    I thought the penalty was removed last year?
    I agree there is nothing affordable about any of the health care out there.
    It's cheaper for me to pay the penalty and just pay out of the pocket, if something bad happens, than it's bankruptcy.
     
  3. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    It's now gone.
     
  4. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,644
    Likes Received:
    144,582
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Agreed
     
  5. Warner

    Warner

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2017
    Messages:
    7,368
    Likes Received:
    47,698
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    I know some folks that have “divorced” for this reason. Tho they are still committed to each other as ever.
     
  6. NH mountain man

    NH mountain man

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    6,408
    Likes Received:
    37,833
    Location:
    WMNF N.H.
    I don't want to like your posts wildwest , that's a terrible situation to be in. The costs are the same as a mortgage. And you don't get much for that kind of money. Maybe you should go down to Mexico and sneak back into the country, then you can get free healthcare, so sad.:(
     
    Snigg, Chaz, hovlandhomestead and 6 others like this.
  7. Kimberly

    Kimberly

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2015
    Messages:
    5,072
    Likes Received:
    12,819
    Location:
    The Kangaroo State
    Take the monthly premium and invest it in a solid return account where you can make money on it and obtain it when needed. If nothing else, put it in short term CDs and keep rolling them over.

    Wow, $64K I would be living the life of Riley. I know that I have a secure home as long as I can pay the taxes; we never own anything in this world if it is taxed; don't pay property tax and the land you own is gone. However, why is it that I can live a comfortable life; yes, I don't travel, my transport is 20 years old, I don't dine out at all, I live in a Doublewide instead of a huge house, I don't have an iPhone, I don't buy new clothes; I shop at Salvation Army and Goodwill for my clothes, and in the summer I sweat instead of running ACs. However, overall my life is comfortable and content. I garden and raise flowers that give me joy; I raise a garden for food, I preserve; I made some pear relish from pears out of the back garden pear tree, so I have food, it may not be gourmet food but it fills my stomach and is nutritious. I have decent clothes, true they were once own by someone else but washed who cares? I don't know, it is a funny world.
     
    Chaz, hovlandhomestead, RCBS and 2 others like this.
  8. Kimberly

    Kimberly

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2015
    Messages:
    5,072
    Likes Received:
    12,819
    Location:
    The Kangaroo State
    Overall, the ACA was worthless. The only reason the Democrats yelled; and I am sorry for making it political but this is a heavily political world today, is that many of the ones that vote for Democrats now see the ACA as an entitlement because of the subsidies. Me, I didn't make enough money to get a free worthless Bronze plan with high copays and deductibles. BIL just got a huge hospital bill and he has ACA insurance. LOL
     
  9. Kimberly

    Kimberly

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2015
    Messages:
    5,072
    Likes Received:
    12,819
    Location:
    The Kangaroo State
    The idea here is that you simply save up the money you may need for health care expenses in the future. You can afford to just pay out of pocket for checkups; the only thing about the ACA is the free yearly checkup. You can get the basic monitors for blood pressure and glucose and check that yourself to see how they are. And if you want blood work done, that is about $80; depending on what you ask to be checked.
     
    NH mountain man likes this.
  10. Kimberly

    Kimberly

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2015
    Messages:
    5,072
    Likes Received:
    12,819
    Location:
    The Kangaroo State
    At the rate without the dental that is $16.200 you can put in a CD per year that will make some money; the banking system is another area where they shaft people. Money Markets are better but you want to invest in a risk free area. Anyway, if you just banked the money that $16 k the first year, then you have 32 k the second, $48 the third; you can see that in just a short time you may have the money to even cover a major surgery; especially if you are getting a return on this money as it sits waiting to be used.
    To get an idea: Gastric Bypass Surgery costs typically are within the range between $20,000 to $35,000 per surgery. So you would have close to that in the first year.
     
    NH mountain man likes this.
  11. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    sad indeed!
    unfortunately, as you know, there's no such thing as free...:handshake:




    the only way for someone to get free anything (health care in this case) is for a working person to give up that money first. (penalty, tax , fine.):zip:
     
  12. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,644
    Likes Received:
    144,582
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Update. It did not happen, I renewed them (hubby and kiddo, both very healthy) are now renewed for a middle of the road OBAMACARE policy for $1346/month:doh:. OBAMACARE is an injustice, we are paying through the nose because we make more than $64K income cap. WTF happened to Obama promising $250K cap!!???!!!! $1346 is a huge percentage of the income we live on.

    The non ACA insurance agent warned WWW to fudge and say he was a "contractor" , not a "roofer". Well, despite the fact he does not do labor he is infact , still in the roofing industry. They sent a requirement they want him to get an extensive list of expensive tests done at our expense and then "they would review it". Said non ACA insurance agent also mentioned they rarely approve one when they ask for those tests. I'm sorry, the tests they asked for were outrageous and insulting.

    We're back to hoping the new law this year for different industries to be able to form group health plans, anxiously awaiting one in Wyoming for the construction industry.
     
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  13. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,290
    Likes Received:
    31,227
    Location:
    Over here
    So happy to have employer insurance. It's not bad, but I supplement it with AFLAC and an HSA.

    Just imagine how expensive all this would be if it were the Gov being billed instead of an insurance company. We pay more per capita for our health services than does anyone in the world. Did you ever feel like you got the best service in the world when using our healthcare industry?

    Sorry for your situation WW. I don't think I've heard one positive experience about the ACA from those who are on it. Subsidizing seems to punish those who pay their own way and reward those who do not.
     
  14. hovlandhomestead

    hovlandhomestead

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2018
    Messages:
    2,428
    Likes Received:
    19,477
    Location:
    MN
    I know one person happy with his experience on the exchange. Our bachelor neighbor up north pays under $100 per month for great coverage, both medial and dental. He retired from his job as an accountant at age 60 with well over 1 million in assets including annuities and a stock portfolio, but lives on a budget that allows him to get the subsidies. His co-pays are minimal...last time I asked $3. I guess total assets are not looked at, only income from what I understand talking to him.

    He has minimal expenses as almost everything is paid for, including home, and he lives a simple, but not spartan lifestyle. He seems to eat well, enjoy modest trips, including regular fishing trips to Canada, and to visit family here and there.

    I think in addition to his assets he stocked up on a lot of cash off the books...enough to supplement his lifestyle until he takes his SS. But I am not sure about that as I am assuming he has not taken SS being he is now just turning 63.

    My wife and I have been temped from time to time to just retire now, pay off everything , move to our cabin, and get the subsidies while earning under the maximum income for couples. For now we are both happy to have good insurance through our jobs and really can't just up and leave now with aging parents.
     
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  15. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,644
    Likes Received:
    144,582
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Unbelievable, I'd like to know his secret!

    IDK hovland, either he's not declaring his income (under the counter, not reported to the Feds) and also taking the lowest plan since he has millions and can afford it. None of the above is possible for this middle class family, we use most of what we make, not willing to lose our home over a broken leg (deductable), and are not independently wealthy.
     
  16. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,632
    Likes Received:
    130,546
    Location:
    Vermont
    wildwest the secret to this just so you know is to have high assets and low income..

    I know several in area that are millionaires and are living in low-income senior housing.. their income is just Social Security and small pensions, and the program is income-based. 401k and assets are not counted..
     
  17. hovlandhomestead

    hovlandhomestead

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2018
    Messages:
    2,428
    Likes Received:
    19,477
    Location:
    MN
    I wish I had more details now for you wildwest. I don't know if it would help your situation.

    He told me they don't look at assets, only income. I think he said he has to take less than a certain amount of money from his assets per year to qualify. He seems to be totally above board, but like I said I think he may have stashed some cold hard cash for things that come up. I don't think that would be illegal, but I now know why the government would like to abolish paper money.

    I know his coverage is very good.

    DB101 Minnesota - Home

    Not sure what to make of it as I haven't had any time to study into it, but here is the link to MNSure.
     
  18. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,644
    Likes Received:
    144,582
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Thanks guys, hoping we can make some changes in future :)
     
  19. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,644
    Likes Received:
    144,582
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    What does $675 per person per month on the Affordable Care Act get you? Almost nothing. Once in a blue moon an office visit charge is covered, kiddo's annual checkup's are covered, and that's it. Period.

    We will never reach the $9000.00 deductible. God forbid we ever need to. $16,000 per year for father and daughter premiums = basically out of pocket till we shell out $9000 for deductible = $25000/year. I'm just so, um well this too :mad:

    Last summer her ears started growing skin over her earring backs, $371 for that visit, $105 office visit for the pediatrician that orig pierced her ears who consulted with two other doctors that came in to take a peek, another $127 office visit for both the ENT (next sentence) and one more $127 for the general surgeon they called in all during the same visit for a quick lance on the back of her ear. Yes, 3 office visits for one 40 minute appt.

    A string of 3 colds in a row in last fall and we took her to an ENT to double check her hearing after she saw her pediatrician. Waited two weeks for our appt., $105 office visit.
    InkedInkedIMG_20190304_095036131_LI.jpg

    Here's the tally on the flu that hit all 3 of us hard late Jan/early Feb this year (including WWW's $40 copay above, grateful that office visit was covered)
    IMG_20190304_104139118 (1).jpg

    InkedIMG_20190304_095107253_LI.jpg
    IMG_20190304_095049789.jpg

    Wish the big "Kids only Dental and Vision" actually meant something" their insurance cards brag about on the front meant something. It pays ZERO til we pay the $9000 deductible.
    InkedIMG_20190304_111646693_LI.jpg
    So, I bought the ONLY dental policy available in the state of Wyoming for them, Delta Dental, it's and additional $80 per month for both of them and covers one exam and 2 cleanings per year. Delta Dental in the state of Wyoming does not have any vision coverage available.
     
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  20. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,632
    Likes Received:
    130,546
    Location:
    Vermont
    What does your dentist charge for a cleaning if you pay cash.. Here 110, if dentist looks at you. 85 for hygienist only seems seems cheaper than insurance:loco: :crazy:

    Eyeglasses call your local lions club. Most will have a camera that takes pictures of eyes and give you a detailed prescription if glasses are needed order online.
    I think camera is 10 grand but we have 8 in our state and guy showing it too us was an ophthalmologist?? A real eye doctor.. He said it faster cheaper and easier on kids over 5.