In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New truck shopping

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Horkn, Mar 29, 2017.

1. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

It is always a trade off. I like the Duramax mated to the Allison transmission but am not the fan of the interior and exterior of the truck, I like the ford interior and exterior but the 6.0 and 6.4 is what turned me off. Now the diesels have the pizz tanks and are too complicated with more systems to break. I would love to have a Ford Super Duty with a gas engine but then I load my truck with gravel in the dump trailer and I love a diesel.
    It’s a balancing act with priorities and wants. My father in law gets an employee discount at ford and always makes fun of my Chevy, if he would ever buy a long bed I would buy it off of him when he wants a new one.

eatonpcat, Woodsnwoods, mat60 and 6 others like this.
  2. Ashwatcher

Ashwatcher

643D2AFA-8F53-4C74-9EEE-B39BB56470E1.jpeg Like this one clemsonfor ? 10K lb truck with 16” tires-LOL I dont adapt well to changes in body style for a minute either...Undecided on the new HD pictured above by Horkn

eatonpcat, Woodsnwoods, mat60 and 5 others like this.
  3. chris

chris

if you really dig a bit you can find ford v10. its a beast of an eng. fuel mileage is all dependent on gearing of course. mine , was a 99, with a 477 rear end 4x4 so it was 8-10 mpg no mater what. sold it last year and got 04 6.0 deleted. getting 15 mpg. with a 21ft trailer loaded to almost max. course maintenance is higher on oil burners. but not a daily driver for me .

4. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Exactly like that one!

eatonpcat, Woodsnwoods, mat60 and 3 others like this.
  5. Ashwatcher

Ashwatcher

Mines the 6.0 and 8-10 mpg is what I get, glad the farms just 7 mi away...suits my needs

6. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

8-10 mpg out of a diesel? Are you still running emossions, fully loaded or huge trailer all the time?

eatonpcat, Woodsnwoods, mat60 and 3 others like this.
  7. lukem

lukem

He's got a six liter...not a sick leaker. Chevy 6.0 gas...if his signature is correct.

8. chris

chris

2500 gasser 8-10 gpm depending gear ratio that's about right and year of course. one of mine 5.4l gasser f250 06 issue 11-14mpg 378 rear end
    Mid 2000 oil burners were not the greatest on mileage across the board due the emission stuff.
    You woundn't get far either if someone was choking the xxxx out of you on both ends.
    Ford 6.7 is doing pretty good from what i hear mpg wise course that does not take into account how much extra that def costs per mile

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  9. Ashwatcher

Ashwatcher

6.0L is correct-gonna tune-up in spring to see if I can get a lil better mpg

10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

My FIL has your same truck only in silver...he's had it for years, gets about the same mileage as you are...

11. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

NGK Rutherium plugs, wires & clean the throttle body will gain 1.5 to 2.0 MPG. Yes Rutherium is a real thing. About as good as it gets with the 6.0 gasser. I work on these things everyday & the 6.0 is a decent engine.

Ashwatcher, Hammy, eatonpcat and 5 others like this.
  12. Kevin in Ohio

Kevin in Ohio

Am I to assume that a high ranking GM exec just had a son graduate from design school and he place him in charge of this design?? Looks like it's upside down in my opinion. I guess they won't have to worry about overtime to line workers due to demand.

blacktail, Hammy, eatonpcat and 6 others like this.
  13. Horkn

Horkn

Ruthenium HX

I've had great success with iridium plugs, I can't see why the ruthenium plugs wouldn't be even better.

Ashwatcher, Hammy, mat60 and 2 others like this.
  14. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Unless you have really neglected a modern vehicle, a "tune up" rarely sees any performace or MPG gains. The computer is smart enough to compensate for dirty filter and weak sparks. And a tuneup now a days is basically just plugs, and cleaning throttle bodies and MAF sensor. You old put new O2 sensors if you spect yours are lazy or really old or you have a toyota, haha (these things seem to wear them out more often than other vehicles ). A new air filter too if you haven't done one recently.

When I got my sequoia, the air filter was nasty. Not sure if it was a year or year and a half old, maybe more if they didn't drive much. No idea how old the plugs were, 50,000??? That's how long since the last t belt but that does not mean they were done then? They could of been done 80,000 miles or 20,000 I just don't know ? Brand new plugs , filter, clean all that stuff really made no disernable difference. It maybe seemed a little more responsive but that could of been placebo effect. Didn't seem to get any better mpg as a daily driver as we normally use it. As far as Highway trips, cursing backroads and not stopping at lights every 20 miles when in town and running errands in town, i don't know as I didn't have much of that before I swapped all that stuff out.

15. Boomstick

Boomstick Banned

Could very well be incompetency...it happens alot..
    Probably didn't even go to design school.
    Probably got a "feel good" participation degree like International relations....basket weaving.... communications:rofl: :lol:

Hammy, clemsonfor, mat60 and 3 others like this.
  16. Kevin in Ohio

Kevin in Ohio

:heidi: :heidi: For the kid and his Dad.

Hammy, clemsonfor, mat60 and 3 others like this.
  17. Boomstick

Boomstick Banned

For the guy that doesn't even know how he got there!:p

18. Woodsnwoods

Woodsnwoods

My 17 midnight Duramax is a nice looking truck with great power, but sits a little low. I worked for GM for six months years ago as a supervisor. They were the most overpaid and lazy people I have ever seen. Vehicles would cost 40% less if they worked for half a shift. I like the truck, but the union has skewed the people and cost of the vehicle. To be clear, there are good people at GM, but where I was it was horrible. 93159561-F80A-4417-9A24-B3231B1CAAC6.jpeg

19. mat60

mat60

Sweet.

20. Boomstick

Boomstick Banned

That's a beautiful truck!

It happens in every large corporation. Just another cog in the wheel.

The unions ruin everything.

GM makes the most off their trucks, it's crazy to think of other manufacturer profit margins.

Hammy, eatonpcat, Woodsnwoods and 2 others like this.