In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Early retirement

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by bushpilot, Sep 28, 2018.

1. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I couldn't be happier with our financial planner. Without him, I'd have been in a tougher situation than I am now, when I was laid off 3 yrs ago at age 59. Now at 62, I've no need to file for ssi.

I'm basically retired and am responsible for keeping our heating costs as low as possible.

2. Boomstick

Boomstick Banned

That's not true for ny.
    Ny has a deficit, but also the second largest budget 171 billion..wisonsin sits at a measly 37b.then look at state gdp vs debt etc....
    NY is out of control and it's lifeblood is wall street and the harbor supplying the cash(everyone incorrectly says NYC does it's not the city)....it's like a spolied kid not knowing how to take care of themselves.

I digress..its not public workers draining the system it's the people who don't work.....and major major corruption.
    The cutting of state worker funds is soley a power play to diminish the power of the state worker unions.
    I'm hugely against government anything, but i acknowladge and admit, public workers/military have been the lifeblood of alot of rural places especially in NY.
    Plattsburgh was a nice city until the base closed in the 90s...it's a dump now....

Earl764 and NH mountain man like this.
  3. Rope

Rope

If you can justify early retirement. GO FOR IT! Sounds like you have put some thought into your decision and have some really good points and experiences voiced.

Freedom!

I personally am on track for the 56.5 retirement. While I have been planning and saving since I was 18. If I walk into retirement today. I am not going be able to have the same quality of life we enjoy today. At 47 and fairly young kids 10,8,6 we enjoy living and experiencing what Alaska has to offer. Not wanting to give that up I am staying. Alaska is an expensive lifestyle and worth every experience. For me my work does not translate/carry over to a retirement job that I want. At least one that would allow me to be home much. And in 9.5 years I feel I will be retiring well.

I have been running with the principal of I want the same annual income in retirement as I make employed. I think that will give me options.

I look forward to hearing of upcoming retirement adventures. Sounds wonderful!

4. Rope

Rope

39A50FE5-489A-48BE-93A4-D7849B3B3319.jpeg Fitting for FREEDOM Friday retirement! 77 year anniversary of Pearl Harbor.

5. MikeyB

MikeyB

I'm about right there with you Rope, I'm 48, and we have 2 boys 10 & 7, not 100 percent sure when I will be able to retire, but I told the wife if I could pay the mortgage off tomorrow and continue to grow our savings and pay our taxes I would be selling doughnuts on the corner before I travel into Manhattan to work another Day there.

6. Unicorn1

Unicorn1

I retired from federal service with 29 years at 53. I worked for the state of Texas the following Monday for 9 months before leaving there. I didn't work from Feb-Oct 2018 but took a part time position at an industrial electric business in October. My wife started a full time position in October also. We had so much free time we got bored.
    I receive a pension and social security plus I rolled over my Thrift savings plan into dividend paying/reinvesting stocks. I have no idea what people save during their life time but monthly pension already has fed tax and full continued health insurance paid out.
    I still have a three day weekend and really like my part time job .:)

7. Gary_602z

Gary_602z

Wife has 41 years in at her job! She is 59 and thinking about retiring. I told her I was figuring on her working another 15 to 20 years!:rofl: :lol: That went over like a lead ballon!
    Ran some figures and told her that we could probably make it ok but she would have to cut make on her shopping. Her exact words were "Thats not going to happen".:thumbs:

Gary

8. Rope

Rope

I can relate, I will have 34 @ 56.5 I have no interest in working for a paycheck, once popping smoke. Concentrating on high 3 now.

9. Unicorn1

Unicorn1

Super, no way I was going to continue commuting from Amarillo to Albuquerque for 4 more years until mandatory retirement at 57.

10. Rope

Rope

How many miles? I pull 93 each way with 9.5 years to go.

11. Unicorn1

Unicorn1

270 each way, plus a place to live, power, water and state tax.

12. lukem

lukem

I walk 3 feet to work most days. The other days require airplanes.

13. Rope

Rope

No doubt the right choice. Just got the need you to work Saturday until Tuesday phone call. It will save fuel.

14. Super44

Super44

Correct you are!! A couple years back the union ( wife was a teacher ) was sending out propaganda about Walker raiding the fund. I asked and got the reply that Wisconsin will not be messing with something that is not broken. Wisconsin is doing Ok on that one.

15. Erik B

Erik B

And now with a former educator in the gov. mansion starting in January, I don't think he will even try to mess with it cause of the teachers depending on it.

NH mountain man and Rope like this.
  16. bushpilot

bushpilot

Well, I am committed now, last day of FT work is June 30. I will be looking for a new PT job, or I also have side gig going that I may try to build up a little. 2-3 days per week would be great.

17. papadave

papadave

Zero to zero days per week is gooder. :whistle:
    Congrats on having an end date.

yooperdave, Midwinter and Stinny like this.
  18. bushpilot

bushpilot

Yes forgive me for I have failed. :(

yooperdave, Midwinter and papadave like this.
  19. Stinny

Stinny

Retired usually means you'll be busier than you were before... paid or not. That list can get long... ;)... :yes:

20. papadave

papadave

Yeah, thank goodness I'm not getting paid for all the work I do now.....uh, wait. :hair:
    I guess part of the payment comes in the form of doing it when I want, instead of when I have to.

Stinny, yooperdave and Midwinter like this.