In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Stihl 660 decompression valve

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Dakota Hoarder, Nov 23, 2018.

  1. Dakota Hoarder

    Dakota Hoarder

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2017
    Messages:
    1,554
    Likes Received:
    9,094
    Location:
    Sioux Falls, SD
    the decomp valve on my Stihl 660 pops every time I pull the starter rope. It's not a huge deal unless I forget to push it down before the next pull and about pull my fingers off my hands.

    I'm assuming it's an easy fix, but I thought I'd ask first. Do I just pull the decomp valve and replace with a new one.
     
  2. huskihl

    huskihl

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2016
    Messages:
    3,719
    Likes Received:
    21,422
    Location:
    Michigan
    Buy a new oem decomp for a 390xp husky and it won't pop out til it fires
     
  3. Dakota Hoarder

    Dakota Hoarder

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2017
    Messages:
    1,554
    Likes Received:
    9,094
    Location:
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Interesting, never would have thought a husky and Stihl part would be interchangeable
     
    Screwloose, Chaz and amateur cutter like this.
  4. huskihl

    huskihl

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2016
    Messages:
    3,719
    Likes Received:
    21,422
    Location:
    Michigan
    Same threads. Same length. But the husky decomp has a larger relief hole
     
    Screwloose, Chaz, cus_deluxe and 2 others like this.
  5. Dakota Hoarder

    Dakota Hoarder

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2017
    Messages:
    1,554
    Likes Received:
    9,094
    Location:
    Sioux Falls, SD
    So I looked at pulling the decomp valve, but couldn't find a socket or spark plug socket that would fit in the space. Does it take a special tool to pull it?
     
    amateur cutter, Screwloose and Chaz like this.
  6. huskihl

    huskihl

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2016
    Messages:
    3,719
    Likes Received:
    21,422
    Location:
    Michigan
    Scrench
     
    amateur cutter and Chaz like this.
  7. Dakota Hoarder

    Dakota Hoarder

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2017
    Messages:
    1,554
    Likes Received:
    9,094
    Location:
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Yep, Tried the scrench, both ends, didn't fit, maybe my screen he's are different.
     
    amateur cutter likes this.
  8. huskihl

    huskihl

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2016
    Messages:
    3,719
    Likes Received:
    21,422
    Location:
    Michigan
    It's a 13mm. A 1/4" deepwell isn't deep enough. A 3/8" drive in 13mm might get in there. I've actually never seen a wrench that wouldn't fit. I'm sure there are other sizes out there, but mine are all the same size
     
    amateur cutter and OhioStihl like this.
  9. amateur cutter

    amateur cutter

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    5,997
    Likes Received:
    48,771
    Location:
    Gun Lake MI
    Dakota Hoarder I don't want to sound like a tool snob here, but quite often less expensive sockets have thicker sidewalls due to inferior metal used. Also look down the "barrel" of the socket, many aren't full size all the way through. 13MM & 1/2" standard are the same size, if you have a quality 1/2" deep well, try that.
     
    Screwloose and huskihl like this.
  10. Dakota Hoarder

    Dakota Hoarder

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2017
    Messages:
    1,554
    Likes Received:
    9,094
    Location:
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Thanks Amateur Cutter, that makes sense, I'm sure my sockets are the less expensive variety. No wonder I always have problem getting my sockets into tight places!
     
    amateur cutter likes this.
  11. amateur cutter

    amateur cutter

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    5,997
    Likes Received:
    48,771
    Location:
    Gun Lake MI
    Welcome! I'd like to think 30+ yrs of wrenching has taught me something useful. :D
     
  12. Dakota Hoarder

    Dakota Hoarder

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2017
    Messages:
    1,554
    Likes Received:
    9,094
    Location:
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I got the right socket and swaped out the decomp valve with one off my 441 part saw. Surprising how the having the right tool makes a job simple a quick.

    Thanks again for the help!
     
  13. amateur cutter

    amateur cutter

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    5,997
    Likes Received:
    48,771
    Location:
    Gun Lake MI
    :thumbs:
     
    brenndatomu likes this.