In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

More Inventory

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by thewoodlands, Apr 16, 2014.

  1. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    On my trip around the Woodlands I noticed something down across the trail at the base of the hill, another Cherry, while taking the picture I see the downed Beech, my cutting starts tomorrow with these two.

    Pic 8899 is what's left standing of the Cherry, pic 8900 is the Beech, pic 8902 is the same Cherry in pic 8899, pic 8903 & 04 is the trail that needs some attention before the sledding season starts, 8905 is some well deserved sun.
     

    Attached Files:

    Drvn4wood, HoneyFuzz, Stinny and 4 others like this.
  2. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Wow. Just layin it there for you again. Like, "Here you go buddy." Just a little gift for ya. :thumbs:

    Take your time and enjoy the work.
     
  3. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Snow melted fast !
    Gotta love the bright orb in the sky :)
     
  4. Fanatical1

    Fanatical1

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2014
    Messages:
    2,688
    Likes Received:
    12,293
    Location:
    Ohio
    Nice! :)

    Excellent wood, easy to saw, pick up, and split! My kind of find!
     
  5. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Gasifier, I always work slow, so slow I cut the wood twice.
    Bogy, that hill (west facing) will always lose the snow first, the deer hit it hard.
    Fan, I'm with you on that, the easier the better.
     
    HoneyFuzz likes this.
  6. HoneyFuzz

    HoneyFuzz

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2014
    Messages:
    4,490
    Likes Received:
    14,862
    Location:
    Northeast , Ohio
    Great pics. ! Have fun :)
     
    Oliver1655 likes this.
  7. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    Nice pics, easy work on tap.
    Nice to see the ground again :)
     
  8. Fanatical1

    Fanatical1

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2014
    Messages:
    2,688
    Likes Received:
    12,293
    Location:
    Ohio
    Now I see the standing cherry trunk. I bet you will get about a cord out of that cherry tree? I like that they aren't too big and easier to handle. They will split like butter too from the looks it.

    Nothing looks better in the stack than fresh cut cherry. :yes:
     
  9. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I only grabbed the top of the Cherry this afternoon, I'll be spending the whole day in the woods tomorrow, just running around grabbing downed trees.
     

    Attached Files:

  10. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    Doesn't seem as wet as the other day
     
  11. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    It's dry in that area, some of the other areas are wet.
     
    My IS heats my home likes this.
  12. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    Looking good nice and dry up on the ridges - when that snow melts I bet you have some mud slews on the bottom - get it before it melts
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  13. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    This area even though it's at the bottom of the hill usually is dry, some of the other areas at the base of this hill are still wet.
     
    basod likes this.
  14. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    I hate the tiny draws that turn into quick sand when the trailer wheels hit it - then you're winching it out.
    I have found some spots on my property where the water disappears under ground only to reappear 20-30yds down stream - probably riding over a root/shale plate but it's solid on the quad
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  15. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    So far the only winching I've done has been out of some deep snow. I only have one area that I can't cut or ride in because it's wet, most of the wood in the wet area is Basswood so the area is used for riding more than cutting.
     
  16. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I'll be grabbing this after the Beech, just down from this Maple is a Yellow Birch that was damaged in the ice storm that is coming down this weekend.
     

    Attached Files:

  17. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Today went good, I got the Beech off the hill, the Sugar Maple is bucked up and the Yellow Birch damaged by the ice storm is taken care of.

    Every place I worked today was at the base of a hill so I spent some time looking up for downed trees, more downed Beech up top on two of the hills.
     

    Attached Files:

    Drvn4wood and Gasifier like this.
  18. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    Looks like a good day on the hill. In pic 16 how much damage went up the tree? bugs?
     
  19. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Most of the Beech was good except for the first few rounds on both the bottom and the top, there is some disease that's doing this, Beech Bark Disease?
     
  20. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    Thats news to me (the disease name) I've had a lot of beech come through my racks here and I've been
    fortunate enough not to see anything out of sorts by way of disease. Beech seems very hearty and stable
    I'm sure the smooth bark helps it out quite a bit.