In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Wood ID?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by ReelFaster, Nov 5, 2018.

  1. ReelFaster

    ReelFaster

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2016
    Messages:
    2,880
    Likes Received:
    19,969
    Location:
    S.Jersey
    Man ur just on a role pal!!!! You should be nominated as forum police..lmao!!!!

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
     
  2. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,549
    Likes Received:
    141,563
    Location:
    US
    :rofl: :lol:
    :D

    :salute:

    :handshake:
     
  3. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,178
    Likes Received:
    166,475
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    We let him do that, he gets in less trouble that way.

    I used up my smarta$$ comment of the thread on you earlier with the wood chips. ;)
     
  4. NH mountain man

    NH mountain man

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    6,408
    Likes Received:
    37,833
    Location:
    WMNF N.H.
    Talk about putting the fox in charge of the henhouse.:hair::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:
     
  5. huskihl

    huskihl

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2016
    Messages:
    3,719
    Likes Received:
    21,422
    Location:
    Michigan
    He's been called worse.....
     
  6. Suburban wood snob

    Suburban wood snob

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2017
    Messages:
    927
    Likes Received:
    3,964
    Location:
    Milwaukee
    Lets just say that you get what you pay for, on the small electrics. I have a fairly decent size one and I would not trade it for any gas one. You can cut all day long and not get a numb hand, creates no smoke and very little noise... Plus no fuel!
     
  7. ReelFaster

    ReelFaster

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2016
    Messages:
    2,880
    Likes Received:
    19,969
    Location:
    S.Jersey
    I agree 100% Suburban wood snob electrics without a doubt have their place, usually close to an electrical outlet :rofl: :lol:!!

    J/K but in all fairness they do have their place for all the reasons you mentioned above. They have their cons but have many pros as well. My cousins electric chainsaw was just really small for the job and extremely under powered for what he was trying to do with it. It was more for smaller limbs, branches, and smaller rounds. I'd estimate this oak tree was at least 28" in diameter wouldn't be shocked if was over 30", I'll try and measure it if I get back over there soon or ask him to measure, now am curious!
     
  8. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,181
    Location:
    Central MI
    Just remember this: Sharpen often! You can even sharpen it after every tank of gas or at least every other tank. If you sharpen often, only a couple strokes on each tooth will do the job so it becomes a quick and easy job and the cutting will always go much better. So sharpen early and sharpen often. And don't forget that the files also wear out.
     
  9. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,283
    Likes Received:
    66,660
    Location:
    IN
    Just to add to this advice...if you look at the cutting edge of your cutters from the top, there shouldn't be any shiny spots. Those shiny spots are where the metal has curled and that means it is dull. Also, when you run a file across the cutter, if it grabs or is rough...its dull. Push the file across the cutter with light pressure until it feels smooth. If you do that every tank or 2 you'll be in good shape.
     
  10. Moparguy

    Moparguy

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2017
    Messages:
    1,137
    Likes Received:
    8,274
    Location:
    TN
    Like everyone else said, mulberry.

    I cut a branch from one the other day. Nice stuff.

    And I love this time of year, when all the tree/wood i.d. questions come out!
     
  11. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,283
    Likes Received:
    66,660
    Location:
    IN
    Watch out for that sap leaking. That stuff is STICKY.
     
  12. Suburban wood snob

    Suburban wood snob

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2017
    Messages:
    927
    Likes Received:
    3,964
    Location:
    Milwaukee
    The cordless ones are surprisingly good with a fresh chain. I have a corded one that I like except for one thing...the auto adjuster has wonky keeper, that comes off so often that I replace it with a circlip. Other than that it can go through any thing and because it's electric it doesn't have to wind up so high rpm to cut thru the log.

    If you are used to little 14" inch all plastic jobs that go for 29 bucks at menards , this is a revelation.

    It cuts better than my gas Poulon. And I don't have to fool around with the gas, oil, finicky starting, etc. If you have to in the woods, or you're not at home yeah you gotta have a gas chainsaw. But for suburban wood hoarders who have easy pickings for wood, I don't get much use out the gas one.
     
  13. NH mountain man

    NH mountain man

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    6,408
    Likes Received:
    37,833
    Location:
    WMNF N.H.
    Whatever works for you is the best saw for you. Keep hoarding!:yes:
     
  14. Suburban wood snob

    Suburban wood snob

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2017
    Messages:
    927
    Likes Received:
    3,964
    Location:
    Milwaukee
    Very true ... For a lot of things in life .
     
    ReelFaster, Horkn and NH mountain man like this.