I apologize in advance because am not giving much to go on, but figured I'd give it a shot. I am trying to get more pics with the bark on it!!! Was helping out a family member yesterday who had a enormous oak tree fall onto his fence and smack into another tree, which then smacked another tree and knocked it down. Three tree's in total!! This particular tree in the pic was little tougher to cut through and had a distinct looking color to it!
The heartwood looks like Black Locust, I'd need to see the bark to be sure. There are other trees with yellow heartwood. More pics would be good. Good score anyway, enjoy the btu's
Thanks NH mountain man , I have a visual in my head of what it looks like and it was something I've never really seen before something definitely different. I hope it is black locust, I hear some good things about it.......!
Could be several different varieties... Black Locust and Mulberry comes to my mind just from that picture...
Ima go with mulberry..... large sapwood ring, distinct color. Depending on how much cover it had above it, it can grow a little quicker and spread them growth rings out a bit. Not saying it couldn’t be a young BL either... Oh and bud, sharpen that chain...
Looks like mulberry from here. Bark would telk us for sure, mulberry and honey locust have much different bark.
All these little guys in this pic, based on scaling them from your bar in the pic...all I’m sayin is the chips look smallish from here-
Gotcha!! I only ask buddy for two reasons #1 I want to better learn what size shavings I should keep an eye out for to stop and sharpen up the blade after all she is my new baby!!!! And #2 I wasn't the only one cutting, my cousin was out for hours before I got there with his electric saw about size of my forearm trying cut up some some big a$$ red oak rounds. He has even less of a clue than I do with this stuff! He had been working on a round for almost 15 - 20 minutes, when I arrived I zipped a similar size round in under 60 seconds, he turned to me and laughed and said I have a toy saw compared to that.....LOL!
Thank you! I think I saw on here somewhere that Mulberry was pretty good stuff? For the stove and for smoking food?
I noticed a few propah sized chips but looks like a whole bunch of smaller particles in the mix too.... but where you added the part about the electric saw- that could be a dull chain? See what you get outa yours in a clean spot
Yeah those now learned mulberry shavings are mine and his are mostly the red oak. He'd been at it for awhile so am sure he dulled his blade. He hacked up most of that mulberry with that electric saw before I arrived. I won't cut again till I sharpener her up