We used to call it "gate night" but I've heard it referred to as mischief night, devils night and hell night. What was it called in your locale? Way back in the early days, my Mom had told me that a horse drawn wagon was placed on the roof of a house during the hours of darkness! Lots of outhouses were tipped over. Now thats some mischief! I bet Eric VW could come up with some mischief of his own on this site tonight.....
Never really shenaniganned as a kid. Couldn't get away with it where I grew up. Now it's a question of snow. It always snows on the 30/31 of Oct. It's snowing now. We buy candy but if I've handed out more than a handful in the last 10 years I'd be surprised.
we didn't save doing stupid stuff for any specific night usually that happened on a warm bored to death no plans for tomorrow Summer night. Parental units were usually pretty good about having plans for tomorrow. Something to take away if you did stupid stuff.
For a while we would tie a pocketbook to a fishing pole. We would cast the pocketbook out into to Road and then we’d hide on the side of the road. When someone would stop to get the pocketbook we real it in. We had reactions from people laughing to some really pizzed off drivers.
WE went to the driving range once and next door in the woods was tons of golfballs they never cleaned up because it wasn't their property. We took a shopping bag full home. (paper, not plastic) Inside those golf ball was a really long rubber band. So long that you can tie one end to a tree on one side of the road stretch the rest across the street, attach a bigass paper plane to it, soak the paper plane in gasoline, ignite it, and if you time it just right get the flaming plane to cross a windshield.
We always called it the night before Halloween. Unique? I never got into mischief as a young lad. I do remember one time others did though and put a hay wagon on top of a local bar.
Same here Dennis. If I did something to cross my parents, I knew that razor strap was going to be on my backside and leave an impression on me. I got that or a stick. both hurt like hell. I disciplined my kids but I didn't beat them and they did just fine.
It was called Cabbage Night, here. kids in town used to throw eggs, toilet paper houses, Tomatoes etc etc. Basically anything that was gone bad in the garden. Teenagers would go to local park, beer and eggs in everyone's hair and clothes. Harmless fun, if you were caught by the police, you got a ticket, and the next day you had to go clean up spots for the elderly for some of the kids that got out of control. Basically self censored and nobody got hurt.
Used to take off the hub caps of cars, put some small stones/pebbles in them and then put them back on the car!
I call it "get the hell off my lawn" night. We stayed out of trouble for the most part. Most of the neighbors were elderly and we looked out for them.
Pumpkin smashing was our thing. After all they'd just throw it away anyways. So, we'd run up to a house, snatch the pumpkin and run like hell. You'd be surprised how many people are attached to their pumpkin. Edit.. to be on topic, it was "beggars night" on October 30