In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Finally caught up,split/stacked the last load yesterday

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by thistle, Oct 19, 2013.

  1. thistle

    thistle

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,736
    Likes Received:
    9,757
    Location:
    Polk/Guthrie Counties,IA
    Had some free time so I finished up this dead White Oak & Shagbark Hickory that was dropped & bucked from late July to last weekend. Just over 3 p/u loads for everything.:axe:

    Still have 6 more medium to large snags to get - 2 White Elms,1 Red Elm (just noticed it had died in past month,it was the 2nd biggest one on the property unfortunately,gonna leave it until next June in case some Morels pop up at its base in late April-May),2 more Shagbark Hickories & 1 Black Oak.Should be between 7 & 8 p/u loads total.Will know more once its all down of course.

    Will try to get at least 3 of these before the snow flies,2 of them are at the bottom of very steep slope,a few feet from NE property line.Only accessible when ground is extra dry without snow or ice.If not,they can wait until Spring no problem.
     

    Attached Files:

    • 009.JPG
      009.JPG
      File size:
      171.3 KB
      Views:
      9
  2. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    How big of property do you work? Sounds like a lot of quality BTU!
     
  3. thistle

    thistle

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,736
    Likes Received:
    9,757
    Location:
    Polk/Guthrie Counties,IA
    Just 10 acres.It was much easier years ago obviously.But I still look forward to working in the woods 2-4 days per month when weather is decent & work schedule allow it.
     
  4. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Looking good thistle. I think working in the woods keeps a man sane.
     
    Jack Straw and thistle like this.
  5. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    Nice job thistle ! I agree if I didn't go to the woods my brain would get cobwebs and shut down. :tree::axe: Sanity for me.
     
  6. thistle

    thistle

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,736
    Likes Received:
    9,757
    Location:
    Polk/Guthrie Counties,IA


    Hmmm I'll let you know if it still works.After 30+ years not sure if its helped or not...:rofl: :lol:
     
  7. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    Whenever we have to go to the city, we can hardly wait to get home and then it is time to head to the woods! Regain some sanity for sure.
     
    Chvymn99, thistle, Jack Straw and 3 others like this.
  8. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    I'm thinking you better get out in the woods more often then! LOL.
     
    Jack Straw, thistle and Pallet Pete like this.
  9. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    you're not getting older you're just getting better :thumbs:
     
    WeldrDave and Jack Straw like this.
  10. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    I wish I could say I was caught up, but instead I am going to get more Monday despite having a trailer full of ash.
     
    Chvymn99 likes this.
  11. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Nice work Thistle, (the woods) tough on the body but good for the brain.
     
    thistle likes this.
  12. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Hoarder!
     
    thistle, papadave and milleo like this.
  13. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Very nice! :thumbs: Always good to feel like you are ahead of the game. I could spend all day out in the woods without even realizing it. I know what you are talking about with the areas the weather hasto be perfect to get into. I have some hills on my property where the conditions have to be just right or it can be treacherous so be careful.
     
    thistle likes this.
  14. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    :emb:
     
  15. thistle

    thistle

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,736
    Likes Received:
    9,757
    Location:
    Polk/Guthrie Counties,IA
    Here's one of the worst on the property,most aren't quite this bad.Very little flat space over most of it.When its muddy,snowy or icy I wear caulk boots,even when just walking,morel hunting or picking up nuts.Most of the hills are more gradual so that makes things easier.
     

    Attached Files:

  16. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    I know what you mean. Half my property is similar, add boulders though. The local hikers call it rocksylvania.
     
    thistle likes this.
  17. thistle

    thistle

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,736
    Likes Received:
    9,757
    Location:
    Polk/Guthrie Counties,IA

    My back & shoulders sure don't feel that way after a 50 hr week.:DOnly thing is now I have less than 10 years until I can retire,so now its downhill finally.