In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Hiking the White Mtns.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Well Seasoned, Jul 23, 2017.

  1. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    I picked up this Cannon Mountain tram post card circa 1938. I also grabbed a few from Bretton Woods and Mount Washington. There were some old Flume cards too.

    :hair:


    20170730_082310.jpg
     
  2. NH mountain man

    NH mountain man

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    6,408
    Likes Received:
    37,833
    Location:
    WMNF N.H.
    Fantastic! I believe the Cannon Mt Tram was the first, or one of the first in North America. Awesome Jon.
     
  3. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Wow, 1938! That's amazing, thanks!
     
  4. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    I am looking for an Old Man postcard. I'll make some nice little frames and hang these on the wall.
     
  5. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    That's a good idea! The old man brings luck to a house that hangs him. Dawn is starting to paint one. You think you'll be making your way up sometime this summer/ fall?
     
  6. NH mountain man

    NH mountain man

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    6,408
    Likes Received:
    37,833
    Location:
    WMNF N.H.
    I have many, I have a pretty good collection of old NH mountain memorabilia. The Salem historical society wanted to display them on a loan, I said sure but it never happened. Maybe someday I can show you.
     
  7. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    I'll be up there on vacation for a few days in 3 weeks between Lincoln and Gorham.
     
  8. NH mountain man

    NH mountain man

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    6,408
    Likes Received:
    37,833
    Location:
    WMNF N.H.
    I'll be there in a couple of days. Can't wait!
     
  9. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    A little bump for this thread. We hiked Mt Major just about 30 minutes south of the Whites yesterday in the Belknap range. Is sits south west of Lake Winnipesaukee. Elevation 1,785. 1.5 mile hike for 1,100 ft elevation gain. Commanding views of the lake. Pretty clear day, low humidity, a little haze off in the distance. We took the blue marked trail up on the north side.

    The trail description said pretty easy to moderate hike for ages 5-65 and about 1 1/2 hr hike. It seemed to me the trails got hit hard on washouts. Lots of scrambles to negotiate.

    20180821_090337.jpg

    20180821_092131.jpg

    Salamander in the orange stage.
    20180821_091145.jpg

    Looking north towards Rattlesnake island I believe.
    20180821_100659.jpg

    Looking south towards Alton NH. Nice tourist town that we stopped and rented stand up paddle boards. Our legs could barely hold up. It was nice to get into the lake and soak off some of the tiredness.

    20180821_094723.jpg


    I liked this pic as it was a small stunted tree on the granite with its' roots holding back what little dirt it had for its' very survival. It reminded me of a bonsai.

    20180821_104359.jpg


    We descended on the yellow marked Brook trail. Part of it followed a brook with some small waterfalls. A small brook crossed into the trail. This section had some wet areas and we had a few slips with wet soles on the sand and gravel.

    Good hike overall, great views. A little bit of a crowd and dogs are allowed.
     
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  10. HolsatiaRedneck

    HolsatiaRedneck

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2017
    Messages:
    1,134
    Likes Received:
    6,204
    Location:
    Schleswig-Holstein
    Well nice buddy, looks like you and your wifey had a good time doin a wee hillwalk :rofl: :lol:
    Landscape is amazin - i enjoy a wee hike myself from time to time.
    I hope wee see more of those flix!
    Wee Hillwalk - thats what my buddy fae scotland says if we go climbing mountains
    (im a flatlander so its all mountains to me above lets say 300m).

    P7250095.JPG
    The Cobbler 2016 - Scotland.
     
  11. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,846
    Likes Received:
    114,765
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    Nice.

    I'm headed to Bretton Woods in a few weeks, for a couple of nights. My wife's and SIL's birthday. Not sure what activities we'll undertake. Weather dependant. It'll be whatever the birthday girls want to do.
     
  12. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Enjoy your visit Mike. Its such a great area to visit.
     
  13. Mwalsh9152

    Mwalsh9152

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2017
    Messages:
    5,325
    Likes Received:
    38,830
    Location:
    Pelham NH
    Sweet! I'm heading to Portland tomorrow, then N Conway Friday. I might do the black cap mountain hike if my wife is up for it. Pretty easy hike we've done before.
     
  14. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Great pictures fishingpol! Come early October up in my neck of the woods, the foliage will be spectacular!
     
  15. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI