In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Edged tool restorations

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by fishingpol, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Dancan

Dancan

I'll take a guess at Tramontina for the axe maker .
    That a 6 or an 8lb on the TT ?

HighCountry, Eric VW and Mag Craft like this.
  2. Dancan

Dancan

BTW , Awesome handles :)

3. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I looked at it real close with a pair of magnifiers on and I compared it to a 8 lb. It is 6 lbs. Thanks.

I have not heard of Tramontina is that good, bad, or just ok. For what I paid I am guessing just ok.

HighCountry and Eric VW like this.
  4. Dancan

Dancan

I've not seen their axes and that's only a guess , I have a few kitchen and sport knives Tramontina made , not bad stuff , better than the Chinese run of the mill stuff , I'd certainly pick one up to add to the collection :)

5. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I went ahead and googled Tramontina and I think you got the maker right. Thanks.

6. Dancan

Dancan

Glad I was able to help :)
    I tell the wife every day that I'm not just a pretty face but she doesn't believe me lol

HighCountry, Eric VW, Chaz and 4 others like this.
  7. Dancan

Dancan

I picked up a 2 1/4 Sandvik a while back .
    [​IMG]
    I gave the head a quick cleanup
    [​IMG]

It was on a 26" haft , I have plenty of longish handles so I figured I'd turn it into a carpenters ax at 20"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I have 2 20" carpenters axes ;)

8. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Was doing some cleaning in the garage this morning and ran into some gear that had once belonged to my Father in Law. Found this double bit axe rather rusty but in fair shape. I cleaned the rust off and gave it a quick oil. Probably not an heirloom but still a nice old axe!

Attached Files:

9. ole

ole

I have my Dad's adze from the farm. It is in pretty rough shape and has a homemade handle. The mark says "2 W. Butcher Cast Steel Sheffield"

IMG_9476.JPG

IMG_9477.JPG

Ima just gonna hang it up in the ManShed

10. ole

ole

I buffed the makers mark out a little bit.

IMG_9478.JPG

5 minutes of Google research tells me a "W. Butcher" made hand tools in Sheffield England from 1825-1852. If my Dad was still alive my question to him would be, "Just how the heck did an adze from England end up on our farm in Southern Wisconsin?"
    If this old tool could talk,,,

11. fishingpol

fishingpol

Nice adze. It would be great to learn the story of it.

Lots of iron came over from England. I have a few mid 1800 planes made in America with English irons in them.

Sheffield was producing very good iron at that time and exporting it. Nice family piece to own.:yes:

12. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

If we could place it by the flickering firelight and actually hear it tell it's story of people, times and places. I'm sure we would listen, spell bound, into the wee hours!

13. ChipsFlyin

ChipsFlyin

Picked up this nice old hatchet at an estate sale today. I just couldn't resist giving it a tune up. I was able to get the old handle off without cutting, reused and tried to keep some of the old underlying dirtiness in the grain. For some reason the handle has a slight curve. I don't mind - it gives it some age.
    There are no markings on the head, weight 1 lb - probably was more years ago. I think I'll use it as a fun throwing hatchet.
    DSCN6737.JPG DSCN6738.JPG DSCN6741.JPG DSCN6742.JPG

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  14. ChipsFlyin

ChipsFlyin

This is my Collins that I cleaned up with a customized the handle. It was and big roundish handle that needed some shape for a grip. I'm making it my my primary league throwing hatchet. It has a good balance a hits the axe board nice a true.

DSCN6745.JPG DSCN6746.JPG

15. ole

ole

On a recent trip to Montana my cousin gave me two old pieces of iron that were his Dad's. His Dad was a Blackfeet Tribal Member who grew up on the rez outside Browning Montana.

The first item is what my cuz called a buffalo meat cleaver. "It's how the indians chopped up frozen buffalo". I remember my dad had one of these on our farm growing up-he called it a pig splitter and that is how we used it. To split hanging hogs when we butchered.

IMG_9573.jpg

IMG_9574.JPG

this thing is a monster

IMG_9576.JPG

sandwiched between the wood is a long metal handle

IMG_9577.JPG

16. ole

ole

The other item is a cedar shake shingle axe. You stuck in in the block then hit it with a sledge

IMG_9572.JPG

IMG_9575.JPG

Gonna make a handle for it and hang both items in The ManShed

Hoytman, HighCountry, Dancan and 9 others like this.
  17. fishingpol

fishingpol

Both of those are very impressive. That cleaver looks pretty substantial with the full tang. I was scrolling down the first pics and thought it would be full, looking at the handle length. It looks like the tang thins out towards the end of the handle and is thicker at the business end.

I'm curious if you will find a stamp on the shingle axe. I'm also curious if it was machine forged or hand forged. If you could post a pic of the top looking down the eye when you have a chance, I'd love to see it. Could be mid-1800's, maybe earlier.

18. ole

ole

I am going to work on em a little bit later next week. I head up nort early in the morn for our annual men's fall ATV ride.
    (actually lot of beering not much ATVing)

I see no makers mark on either so far but I thought I saw the number 8 stamped on one of them
    I will get back to you on your questions

19. Warner

Warner

AE75FC36-ABAA-4743-8045-7AE482E76679.jpeg I found this axe cleaning out my grandparents house, it is stamped Snow&Neaelley Co. Bangor With a 2 stamped on the bottom of the but. It belonged to my great grandfather his name is stamped on it as well. 9591FB51-9D1A-4A6C-8F74-523FFB2DAB60.jpeg It would be cool to clean it up and display it in the house. Any info guidance would be appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  20. Warner

Warner

157A8375-5E67-4467-9920-3AFFB1C74B71.jpeg 069C9E51-9A85-4E0F-821D-8AA2962384EA.jpeg Also found these fishing gaffs my grandpa made or at least that’s the story I got. I thought they were pretty cool