In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

I Gotta Go Back

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by thewoodlands, Mar 24, 2014.

  1. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    When I was in this area last year I tested this Beech where it broke off, it was punky so I left it, I've got to go back so I can check the top half of the tree.
     

    Attached Files:

    raybonz, Certified106, Loon and 5 others like this.
  2. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Good luck. I hope you find no punk ans can salvage what you can.
     
    HoneyFuzz and thewoodlands like this.
  3. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I think from the middle to the top I'll get some good firewood.
     
    raybonz, HoneyFuzz and Well Seasoned like this.
  4. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Keep those punks off your property woodlands. Ya can't trust em fir nuthin.
     
  5. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    It's almost time to check the POSTED signs, certain jerks like shooting at them during hunting season.

    What color signs are up on your property, we use yellow.
     
    HoneyFuzz likes this.
  6. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Mostly yellow. But I have some that are black/white/orange. Still need to put more up. But I need to be sure I put them in the right places. Have some clearing to do, etc.
     
  7. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    We have the south side of our property we want to redo this year, last year we did the north side.
     
    Gasifier likes this.
  8. HoneyFuzz

    HoneyFuzz

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2014
    Messages:
    4,490
    Likes Received:
    14,862
    Location:
    Northeast , Ohio
    Good luck on all that was mentioned above :)
     
  9. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    Usually if the top has leaves still it's good on beech! I did cut into a coon last year though I may not like them but I still felt bad all the same. For some reason they like to hide in newly downed beech around here...
     
  10. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    That would make me feel bad too, I'll start on the top first.
     
    Oliver1655 and Pallet Pete like this.
  11. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    This Beech was damaged by the ice storm so I'll take this once the snow is gone, this is just south of the Beech in the original post.
     

    Attached Files:

    raybonz, Certified106, Loon and 2 others like this.
  12. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    That's a sombeech tree :D
     
    raybonz and thewoodlands like this.
  13. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    You have some nice BTUs with all those beech trees!
     
  14. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Life is a real Beech for those poor trees you are cutting :rofl: :lol:
     
    HDRock and raybonz like this.
  15. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    It will be two weeks before I can even think about getting back in with the Rhino, we had some heavy wet chit fall on Saturday night.

    The Farmers' Almanac said we have a chance of another storm on the east coast around the second week of April.