In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

seasoning mixed year wood

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Spirch, May 27, 2018.

1. Spirch

Spirch

hello, first post here :smoke:

I got some 1 year old wood, some 2 years old wood both was badly seasoned. I also got some 2 weeks old one.

(time: that it was actually chopped, tree was delivered about 6-8 months before)

I just built these structures to hold the wood during spring/summer/fall, in October/November I expect to put these in a shed and get a new load of wood that will sit there during a whole year.

They are sitting on sidewalk stone above tarp, i left about 4 inch between each face cord for air circulation and structural reason, i got 2x4 attach to the bottom/side

something like that

Code:
    |              |
    |              |
    |\           / |
    |  \       /   |
    |   \    /     |
    ----------------
    the one year old was not properly seasoned, with a moisture tester, the middle of the wood is between 30-35%

the two year old is even worst, 35-38%

from left to right,

2 weeks old (above yellow cord, 1 year old) , 2 years old
    1 year old, 2 weeks old
    2 years old (above yellow cord, 1 year old) , 2 years old (above yellow cord, 1 year old)

overall, they can hold close to 8.5 face cord ( +/- 0.5)

I'm waiting for a last load of 2 weeks old to fill everything up and i need to stop having 3 different seasoned wood :pwhich should happen soon enough.

can you spot anything wrong or bad in my design? any recommendation?

unless it's something very bad, I will only fix it in the fall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hammy, milleo, Chvymn99 and 10 others like this.
  2. leoht

leoht

G'day and welcome Spirch.
    Your drying racks look good to me, stacked off the ground and top covered. Hopefully it will dry out enough for you during summer. What species of wood do you have there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    Hammy, Chvymn99, FatBoy85 and 2 others like this.
  3. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

Welcome to FHC

Your stacks/drying racks look good.

I would have skipped tarp under. That will be a place for skeeters to beeed if any water pools from a blowing rain. The stone will offer excellent drainage on its own.

4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Welcome to the forum Spirch.

You have a good idea with the drying racks; I like them. I would advise, like Paul bunion stated and that is to get rid of the tarps. You don't have to be so concerned that you get the tarps out right away but after you empty the racks then just get the tarps out. I do really like the covering you have on the racks.

By the moisture content of the wood I'm guessing you might be dealing with oak of some sort but I can't tell by the pictures. If it is oak, that is great firewood but it does hate to give up it's moisture. Your split size is good for drying and if those racks are where you will get some good wind, that will help a lot. Good luck to you.

Here is something you might take the time to ready. You can read it at the link or even download it for reading later. Hope this helps.

5. Spirch

Spirch

thanks all, I'm not really sure what kind of wood it is (i know for sure there is no softwood in it) i'm going to ask or can i take picture and you can identify them? i think i got 2-3 species of wood.

I will keep in mind to remove the tarp ASAP, when they are empty

6. Spirch

Spirch

not sure if i should make a new thread or put it here, few pictures of the wood if you want to try to identify the species for me

Wood - Google Drive

Hammy, Chvymn99, milleo and 1 other person like this.
  7. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

No oak, the thin skinned stuff looks a lot like diseased beech, especially this one Wood - Google Drive.
    Beech is great firewood, high BTU and dries on the faster side. You might have some sugar maple in there but its hard for me to tell. Beech and sugar maple often grow. In general its a lot easier to do online wood id wood if you have a clean picture of a un-split log and a shot of the cut end. There are a lot of visual clues that a solid log can show.

8. Spirch

Spirch

You got 2 out of 3 :salute:

I got an answer from where I got it and it is suppose to be a mix of Yellow Birch / Sugar Maple / Beech

Backwoods Savage and FatBoy85 like this.
  9. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

You got yourself a Trifecta. Probably close to the best mix of fast drying and high BTU wood you could ask for.

10. Dolphus Raymond

Dolphus Raymond

11. Spirch

Spirch

thanks, my dad made the choice for me and i dont regret it :thumbs:

pretty easy to make, must be at least 2 peoples otherwise you will have trouble to attach everything together :hair: 8" x ~6" x 38' (lower on the other end because of the slope)

12. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I concur! Nice to choose wood from whenever and kept it simple. Honestly I think for my volume I might try bays in a wood shed but he’s still got a great set up.
    Hey there Spirch welcome to the ranks! Im lousy on the wood identity around here unless it’s a static thing seen in pictures or bbq wood then you’ll see. Hope you get that wood cooked out in a couple years but with mention of hardwood hopefully you can get something soft or easy to season like some poplar or ash. Poplar is that gopher wood so it burns fast but heat being heat, its the stuff that helps balance out your shoulder season until the real burning season and cold snap happens.

Hammy, leoht and Backwoods Savage like this.
  13. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Whoops! I forgot to give the link: Primer on Woodburning by Backwoods Savage

I remember that I had copied the link but for some odd reason never put it in there yesterday. Sometimes I guess the mind wanders... :headbang::headbang:

Hammy, milleo, Spirch and 3 others like this.
  14. Spirch

Spirch

very interesting read :yes: