In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Kindling cutoff storage

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Woodwhore, May 18, 2018.

  1. Woodwhore

    Woodwhore

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2016
    Messages:
    2,371
    Likes Received:
    19,091
    Location:
    Mason NH
    Im going to make a few of these boxes for storing the cutoffs I get. Good campfire wood and kindling for the stove. I sandwiched two heavy plastic pallet slip sheets between scrap 2x4 so i could just roll the cover back (like one of the covers on a p/u bed)once the front is on. Two boards across the middle too so it doesnt collapse. 8D826ACF-4F52-41FF-AFC8-96BAE34F8A44.jpeg
     
    T.Jeff Veal, Maina, milleo and 8 others like this.
  2. Midwinter

    Midwinter

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2017
    Messages:
    19,846
    Likes Received:
    130,475
    Location:
    Nashua, NH
    Remember snow weight on the roof! This weekend rain will be a good test. Those cutoffs look addictive.
     
  3. Woodwhore

    Woodwhore

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2016
    Messages:
    2,371
    Likes Received:
    19,091
    Location:
    Mason NH
    I have 2x6 board cutoffs going across under the sheeting
     
  4. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    Great box hope it serves you well!
    Boy I did that collection to the point where I made several boxes on my own to get some of this stuff to hang around but now its getting burned for another purpose and likely get another supply going later. Having struggled with kindling, I amassed it and kept it under dry storage as much as possible since I got used to making kindling out of the same wood I was planning on burning in the fire. Whacks with a hatchet worked but often wood was rained on having just moved into my house. Now no issue there...haha abundance in non-issue.
     
  5. Woodwhore

    Woodwhore

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2016
    Messages:
    2,371
    Likes Received:
    19,091
    Location:
    Mason NH
    Thank you, I usually put good size rounds on my splitting log that has a tire mounted on it and beat the heck of the round to make kindling, sonetimes ill even use the log splitter. I can get truck loads of these cutoffs so might as well get it. Plus they make good early season fires in the stove and summer camp fires.
     
    T.Jeff Veal, Maina, milleo and 4 others like this.
  6. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,156
    Location:
    Central MI
    I'm considering using one of these for kindling.
    Wood boxes-2.JPG
     
    T.Jeff Veal, Woodwhore, Maina and 5 others like this.
  7. Erik B

    Erik B

    Joined:
    May 12, 2015
    Messages:
    5,649
    Likes Received:
    39,074
    Location:
    Western Wisconsin
    I have two kindling bins in my pole barn. I am on a two year plan for kindling.
    DSC02653.JPG The one below is mostly empty now and will need filling this summer and fall.
    DSC02655.JPG