In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

First chainsaw experience, considering purchasing one - next steps?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by BeantownBurner, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

That’s incredible!
    Good advice here BeantownBurner! Also, even a Big Box store offering (Husqvarna in particular) would do you well... my first saw was a Husky 445 and after 6 years with no real extensive service, it’s still running fine on non-ethanol mix....:thumbs:
    And with the occasional 20” bar, to boot!:yes:

leoht, Barcroftb, Maina and 7 others like this.
  2. BeantownBurner

BeantownBurner

This sounds like a super cool event! It's on my radar!

leoht, Barcroftb, Maina and 2 others like this.
  3. BeantownBurner

BeantownBurner

Thanks for letting me know about these classes - what a great thing!

4. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Take class if can free chaps and helmet:yes:

5. BeantownBurner

BeantownBurner

Thanks everyone for the great advice! Sorry for my slow response. After I put up my original post, the week got very busy and this is the first chance I've had to respond, but I had been following along with each post here. The busy-ness of my week included, amongst other things, scoring almost a cord of 3 year seasoned, cut, split and stacked oak and an 1/8 cord of some unidentified green wood for $80 total and three trips not too far from my home in the minivan! So, at this point, I'm at about three cords of seasoned wood, another cord and a half of semi-seasoned and green, and another cord or so of rounds waiting to be split - working my way towards a three year plan!

A few follow up questions:

I read somewhere that once you get above an 18 inch saw (20 and above) they become much more challenging to work wth as someone new to chainsaws. Is this true? If so, I'm thinking maybe an 18 is good for my first saw.

One of my concerns is that I probably will use the saw pretty infrequently as I simply don't have that much space to store wood (I'd have a lot more space if my yard wasn't on a hill, but as it is I'm trying to keep my stashes on the little bit of level land I have). Ideally, my three year plan would be about 9 cords, so I'll have three cords a year (I'm getting a Woodstock Ideal Steel in a couple weeks and from what I hear I won't be able to put more than three cords a year through that (if I remember correctly, I think Canadian border VT told me that!). Once I get this going, I'll only be looking at getting three cords a year to keep the plan going. Is it bad for the saw to use it so infrequently (in terms of it sitting around with gas and oil in it getting stale)? I didn't know that there existed premixed fuel for chainsaws until now - this seems like a great idea for someone using a chainsaw infrequently as it means I don't have to have gas sitting around my basement getting old.

Thanks again everyone!

leoht, Barcroftb, basod and 1 other person like this.
  6. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Okay there is a difference between the engine size and the bar size. The engine size is measured in cc's. The bar size is measured in inches. A lot of homeowners saws put the biggest bar you can possibly fit on the saw because it's they somehow think it's bigger.
    If you are only going to use the saw infrequently. I would recommend getting a can of true fuel.

leoht, Barcroftb, Maina and 4 others like this.
  7. BeantownBurner

BeantownBurner

Yes, what I had heard was that a bar size of over 18 inches was harder to control, at least for a newbie. Not sure about the engine size. What are your thoughts on both of these for a newbie who would be using infrequently?

leoht and Barcroftb like this.
  8. cnice_37

cnice_37

Bar size isn't hard to control IMO, sounds like a 16" bar on a 50cc head is where I'd steer you. How far out of the city are you? I'm about an hour south. You come block some wood for me and try out some sizes.... win, win :D

leoht, Barcroftb, Maina and 6 others like this.
  9. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

10. BeantownBurner

BeantownBurner

Oh I'm a true Beantowner, right in the city, but on the southern edge - Roslindale. Thanks for the great offer! Do I get to take some rounds home with me? :D

leoht, Barcroftb, M2theB and 5 others like this.
  11. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

You could try renting a saw at the Home Depot just to try it. About $40

They have Makita (Dolmar) saws for sale or rent. (Around here, everyone refers to them as Dolkita because they are one and the same.) Very good saws! And occasionally HD sells off the rental units in excellent condition for a fair price.

leoht, Barcroftb, Maina and 5 others like this.
  12. RCBS

RCBS

Not really harder to control, just more to keep track of and a little heavier. I got by for many years with 50cc (18" bar) being the largest saw I owned. It is still my preferred size for a "tractor saw" that can nearly 'do it all'.

leoht, Barcroftb, Maina and 4 others like this.
  13. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I'm doubting a battery saw will last more than a couple years cutting 3 cords per year.

I've pushed 4+ cords through my IS so far this heating season. Partly because it's a cellar dweller.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    leoht, Barcroftb, Maina and 3 others like this.
  14. cnice_37

cnice_37

No, but you can split and stack too if you'd like! Honestly if a weekend lines up swing south, I have 50,71,85cc and a bunch of bars.

15. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  16. basod

basod

The main detraction against a battery powered saw I could see is the good scrounges are going to come after a storm - power will be out and you'll be hearing everyone else's gas saws running while you're on the side lines with a dead battery. A poorly maintained gas saw could leave you in the same situation.
    I've become a convert of using only ethanol free gas(and mixed oil in 2-strokes) in all my outdoor power equipment. It's a few extra dimes a gallon and you have to go a little different direction to get it, but you'll spend way more $ and time fixing carburetors and fuel lines plus down time from 10% ethanol fuel.

Now that you're buying a gas saw....
    The second thing you need to do is send it to be ported :D

leoht, Barcroftb, RCBS and 3 others like this.
  17. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Hahaha! Easy there big fella, let the poor guy get used to a saw before you send him out on a porting mission.:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:
    My 2 cents is similar to most, 50cc class saw & 18" bar will make a lot of firewood for a long time if cared for. If you can, ethanol free gas for sure, long term storage in between uses, just dump the gas out & run it dry, they'll keep fine that way. As has been stated, safety & proper use is the answer to successful chain saw work. Welcome to the forum BeantownBurner ! Consider cnice_37 's offer. Great way to learn before spending.

leoht, Barcroftb, M2theB and 7 others like this.
  18. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

So do I 4.25 cord this year, but some very knowledgeable IS owners have questioned how I do it. Do I shovel out hot coals? Do I forget to engage cat? No to both, they were serious and could not believe I put more than 3 through it. Been burning pretty steady 10/15 still burning as its 39 and rainy but STT is only about 450.

leoht, Barcroftb, Maina and 6 others like this.
  19. basod

basod

Total sarcasm from me - that seemed to be the main answer for any new chainsaw here a few years ago...
    Pro saw and port - otherwise the saw won't cut wood right?

20. Dancan

Dancan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

32cc and a 12" bar will take care of a 16" at the butt tree without too much effort , finesse and a sharp chain is all you need .
    Lots of good saws in the sub 50cc class from most of the majors but I find that most bars that come on them are just too long for the cc's .
    If you choose to go cordless and want the convenience of other cordless tools Makita uses 1 battery platform for their complete lineup .

leoht, Barcroftb, RCBS and 3 others like this.