In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

First chainsaw experience, considering purchasing one - next steps?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by BeantownBurner, Apr 9, 2018.

1. BeantownBurner

BeantownBurner

Yesterday my neighbor, who shares a duplex style house and yard with me, gave me my first chainsaw lessons, and I'm now considering if I should by my own, and if so, I'd love some advice.

He gave me a lessons on a brand new Ego 14 inch rechargeable lithium battery powered saw. I'm sure some here with chuckle at the idea of anything other than a gas powered saw, but I was really impressed with how easily it went through a 14 or so inch tree trunk, how quiet it was (no ear protection necessary), and how easy and manageable it was to use. I asked him about gas vs. chargeable, and he said that while gas was clearly better in many ways, for the amount of work he does (uses it maybe four or five times a year), this was just easier to own for him. One clear drawback was that the battery went dead quickly, and while having two batteries sounds like a good option so you could rotate one in while charging the other, the battery alone costs $100.

I'm a newer wood stove owner and don't plan on using the saw a lot, but I have some trees to go at in my yard (though I can always borrow the neighbor's for that - we're tight), but also see a lot of people in my area giving away free wood if you have a saw to cut it up (I'm talking about trees that are already downed but just need to be cut into manageable rounds), as well as inexpensive delivery of log length trees.

So, my questions are - gas vs. chargeable for my situation and wanting to keep relatively ease of use? What size blade? Brand(s)? New vs. used? Other considerations?

Finally, can anyone identify this tree that we cut up yesterday? I'm not sure what kind it is.

Thanks!
    IMG_2557.JPG IMG_2558.JPG IMG_2559.JPG

Barcroftb, Chaz, basod and 9 others like this.
  2. dougand3

dougand3

For scrounging away from a battery recharger, gas would be better.
    Depends on what who is your best dealer - Echo, Husqvarna, Stihl. Echo CS400 - 16" bar would be a good choice.
    If you are handy with small engines and can tune carb yourself, even a new Poulan would work. They are competent saws if not run lean and hot with a dull chain. Learn to sharpen.

Barcroftb, Chaz, Hammy and 6 others like this.
  3. RCBS

RCBS

The tree is black cherry.

I've run the Ego saw. My boss has one. I have yet to embrace battery saws. The technology is advancing, but is no replacement for gas power at this point.

The Echo saws in the 45-50cc range might be a good fit for your needs. Sounds like you'll be using intermittently...I'd recommend buying the canned fuel to avoid the stale gas issue that plagues occasional-use saws.

Whatever you end up with...Be Careful. I hope your neighbor is teaching you good habits. It only takes a split second for a chainsaw to cause mucho damage to flesh.

Barcroftb, Chaz, basod and 8 others like this.
  4. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

BeantownBurner, looks like cherry, the proper way to use a chainsaw is a very important thing to know. The problem is so many people do it improperly it's hard to learn how to do it right.

I would strongly recommend you take a weekend and come up to Well Seasoned get together June 9th and 10th, there you will probably get to try some saws, get lots of coaching from people that do it right and meet some FHC members. :handshake:

Barcroftb, MikeInMa, Chaz and 14 others like this.
  5. mark.nowak

mark.nowak

Years ago when I was living in a subdivision I seriously considered a battery powered saw but in the end I went with gas (stihl MS 170). It all came down to personal preference, when I start a job I like to do it on my time schedule...not the schedule of a battery charger. I guess that’s the reason I have more drill and batteries than I can count.

That being said, I also knew subdivision living was not for me and I would be moving to a house with some acreage, so a saw would be getting a lot more use. Another thing that I considered was that I already had mixed fuel for my trimmer, blower...so fuel and fuel storage were not a issue. I knew that I would always have fresh mixed fuel that was constantly being used.

Looking back on my decision now, I believe it was the right one. I know I will get many many years out of my gas powered saws, I know that battery technology has come a long ways but I still do not think the life span is there. Also in my opinion almost all battery powered products are now disposable, and they are priced that way. Why buy a new battery for my drill at $50 when I can buy a whole new drill with two batteries for $100?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barcroftb, Chaz, basod and 11 others like this.
  6. cnice_37

cnice_37

Rechargeable saw makes sense if you are cutting up the occasional branch that fell after a storm. They aren't a replacement for saws meant to cut wood and heat your home. I also don't care for the idea of batteries as a good gas saw will last a lifetime properly cared for, a battery saw won't.

Bar size - how big do you want to cut? If you think a single saw will suffice, 60cc is the "do-it-all" size and get a 20" bar. Or get multiple bars.

New vs used - my vote is used pro grade but I have learned how to work on them. Either new or used, definitely hang around the equipment forums and pick up how to take care of them.

My lineup is all Husqvarna, 50-85cc, 16"-32" bars. As a scrounger I cut what I can get, so that arsenal can do the job and get the job finished without worries. If buying wood or maintaining your yard, a 50cc saw and 16" bar is all you need.

leoht, Barcroftb, Chaz and 11 others like this.
  7. chris

chris

Some 30+ years ago I had a electric saw( cordless were not around then nor pole saws, it was just the ticket for the odd branch that came down in the city lot I had at the time. Times change, needs change and now I have an arsenal of 35-120cc saws and an electric pole saw. ( I use small genny to power that having a bit of experience with an acquaintance with a battery rig.)

leoht, Barcroftb, Chaz and 9 others like this.
  8. bocefus78

bocefus78

If scrounging free wood from the local area, get a gas saw. You gotta be quick on the scrounges, or the wood will be gotten by someone else. A dead battery means no more wood for you that day until the battery charges. Buying an extra battery puts you over the price of a quality gas saw.

That tree is a cherry. Decent wood.

As for a saw to buy, get one that a local dealer supports. Stihl echo or husqvarna. Stay away from the Lowe's etc saws.

I can highly recommend a stihl ms170 14" from a homeowner standpoint. It should be around $200 or less. Get a spare chain while You are there.

You also need protection equipment. Chaps, and ear pro as a bare minimum.

leoht, Barcroftb, Ashwatcher and 13 others like this.
  9. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

Odds are your going to become addicted to firewood hoarding and chainsaws. A gas saw will serve you better. Nobody on this site will try to stop you from taking the leap. They will help you be safe and knowledgeable.

leoht, Barcroftb, Ashwatcher and 11 others like this.
  10. Marshel54

Marshel54

I second on attending Well Seasoned's GTG. You will meet a lot of friendly people that are not afraid to get you started correctly and will see and have the opportunity to run many saws. I have learned so much from attending GTGs.
    Electric saws have their place. I have a corded electric that I use occasionally to trim up some pieces that were cut to long for the stove. I love it for that For an urban area where you have the occasional downed limb it would work great, but I couldn't image making much wood with it.
    I don't know your future living plans, but a MS170 would be an excellent saw for under $200 if you plan on doing any scrounging. Especially if you are running a trimmer that takes mixed gas.
    I too would shy away from the big box store saws. Been there done that. Dealer support has a lot to be said. If you go to the big box stores, all most of the sales people know is you pull the cord and it starts up. RIGHT.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    leoht, Barcroftb, MikeInMa and 8 others like this.
  11. Marshel54

Marshel54

"Probably" ? o_O Come on CBVT. The correct word would be definitely.:D:DUnless you New Englander's are cut from a different cloth. :DI have been to GTG in MI, OH and NY everyone was more than willing and went out of their way to help out.
    I originally signed on to Well Seasoned's gtg but schedule is getting very busy. Still not out of the question though.

leoht, Barcroftb, Chaz and 8 others like this.
  12. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    leoht, Barcroftb, Chaz and 6 others like this.
  13. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

A battery powered saw might be okay for the occasional trimming and of course one would need 2 batteries.

On the other hand, one first needs to determine what sized trees he will need to cut. One does not need a large pro saw if cutting small (like 16" and under diameter) trees or logs. On bar size, that depends upon the saw you buy.

If you plan on cutting only small trees and/or limbs and logs, then a small saw is the way to go. For starting out, yes, a small saw can make sense so long as you don't have big stuff to saw. In the Stihl line, the 170 has been mentioned but also the 180 or 250 make good sense and not that much higher in price.

A couple years ago I finally took my wife's advice and got a small (Stihl 180) saw because they are so lightweight. I did not expect much but was almost blown away at how good of a saw it is and I love the lightness of the saw. If I remember correctly it was around $200 for the saw and well worth it.

Good luck.

14. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

If you plan on scrounging a gas powered saw would be the way to go. Something like a Stihl MS250 or MS251 would be a good starter saw.

15. Maina

Maina

I agree, an electric saw is great for cutting limbs and smaller trees around the yard, but a gas saw is needed for anything more serious. Another consideration is safety. Chaps can save your legs with a gas saw, but most of not all electric saws will cut right through them a lot easier. Chaps are a necessity imho, especially if you’re new to chainsaws.

leoht, Barcroftb, Chaz and 9 others like this.
  16. woody5506

woody5506

Go with the recommended Stihl saws and I'll mention the MS211 served me well as a first saw and took a lot of abuse burying the bar in anything I could scrounge. If the batteries are $100 each and you want at least two, you're well over the price of the Stihls that have been recommended here.

17. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I didn't realize how expensive they are.
    Special Buy Of The Day

18. woody5506

woody5506

Me either, I was just going off what the OP said about each battery being $100, and assuming at the absolute least the saw itself would be $100. The only battery saw I think I'd be willing to invest in would maybe be a pole saw. But, I already bought a Stihl pole saw last year. Probably not the wisest purchase I've made...

19. M2theB

M2theB

I'd go with gas. You don't want to miss out on a nice scrounge because your not charged or end up with partial scrounge because you ran out of juice. I didn't see what the electric cost. I can tell you that I've picked up 3 descent running saws and one exceptional saw from Craigslist adds in the last two months for $175, total. Just keep watching.
    To Echo the group, safety first! A sharp $100 saw will bring the ambulance as quick as a $500 saw. Learn the basics and have the PPE. This site has resources and the internet has great ones too. Cutting with experienced hoarders would be would be great.

Welcome aboard!

Black Cherry

20. wfournier

wfournier

There are some classes being offered through DCR and the Mass Forest Alliance over the next few weeks. I guess they got a grant to fund it so they are free and at least at the class I attended last weekend they provided PPE (chaps and helmet) to every participant (to keep not just for the class). It would be a hike from Boston but the training for free is a real good deal imo.

Safe Chainsaw Operation Training (2018-04-28)