In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Truck shopping

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Loon, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Loon

Loon

2. Armbru84

Armbru84

They aren’t cheap anymore...that’s for sure. Sure are fun to drive though!

Hammy, Horkn, Chvymn99 and 2 others like this.
  3. Brian72

Brian72

I just got mine a few months ago. Just a plain XLT. The dealer had 2 of them. 2016 leftovers. I paid less for this than my last truck, a 2014 Sierra 1500. They were practically begging me to take it. All the gadgets have just gotten ridiculous and pricing is just beyond insane but they sell like crazy. I don't understand it.[​IMG]

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

4. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

Yep they are ridiculous on prices now. especially if you get the top of line with electric butt wipers and all that other stuff. I bought one not too long ago and still cringe at what I paid for it.

5. Fanatical1

Fanatical1

I was brought my Dodge to the dealer for a side airbag recall and while I was waiting for them to repair it, the sales guy tried to sell me a used Ford pickup for $69,995. Used?!

I didn't realize they have run up this much since I last went shopping!

6. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Yep aint cheap, thats for sure... I was looking at new, but ended up with a couple year old for a decent price and low mileage...

7. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

yep I bought a 2015 with 31,000 on it.

8. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I don't know who's buying $70,000 trucks...but it ain't me....

65 -97 month loans are now the norm....ARE YOUFRIGGIN KIDDIN ME ??!!??

9. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

I can remember saying I would never give 10 grand for a vehicle, LOL..was I ever wrong.

10. Maina

Maina

My 2010 Silverado just turned 43k and I expect it to last another 15 years or so hopefully. I started getting it sprayed with fluid Film a couple years back to keep the rust at bay. That’s what usually gets them up this way.
    I saved about 10k off the sticker when I bought mine but that’s not much of a dent these days. I’m not likely to buy another one regardless.

11. Blstr88

Blstr88

There are trucks selling for stupid prices these days but if you're a regular Joe looking for a truck for regular Joe type stuff you can still find them for fair prices.

I got my brand new F150 with V8 (extended cab, 4x4, STX Sport) for $28k. That's reasonable to me.

Just gotta shop around and be open to any of the manufacturers, look for more basic trims and especially leftovers.

Plenty of brand new can be found under $35,000

12. JotulYokel

JotulYokel

I hate all the electronic gadgets on new trucks. I'll keep my Dodge/Cummins awhile longer. I've got 399,650 miles on it.

[​IMG]

13. Blstr88

Blstr88

One big thing I noticed that sets higher trim levels apart from lower are rims. Often times the lower trims come with real basic rims that give the truck a much "cheaper" look...but if you look past that it's the same truck as the one with fancy rims.

The funny thing is too, you can find real nice factory rims all over the place on Craigslist. Guys buy these high trim trucks and then install lift kits and new rims/tires etc and throw the factory ones on Craigslist.

14. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

I think I'll just stick to my 01 V10 with a low 226K miles on it.:D Only bad part is the gas mileage. Going to be using it more now that I sold my low mileage 06 E350 van (300,680).

Attached Files:

savemoney, Hammy, Maina and 6 others like this.
  15. Horkn

Horkn

Well back in 2010, 10k off was a good bargaining point. Now, that loaded half ton trucks are 50-60k msrp, you can go further than that.

I'm getting closer to getting a new half ton myself. All the competition is really going to make this easier to get the deal I want.

16. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

Truck prices are straight up insane these days. 19 years ago I ordered a 1999 F-250 XLT ex cab long bed with a V-10. I paid 28k on a 31k sticker.

I actually just saw that truck for sale on CL the other day. I traded it in back in 2001 with 18k on it. A local municipality bought it and put 50k HARD miles on it. It's selling as a parts truck.

That was my first new truck. It hurt to have seen it getting more and more beat over the years.

Hammy, Maina, Horkn and 5 others like this.
  17. tamarack

tamarack

There are houses for sale in some parts of rural eastern oregon for cheaper than this pickup. Just ludicrous what they want for a new pickup these days. I got 2 old trucks 77 chevy and 79 ford, both 3/4 ton 4x4 im praying that they will keep goen till im dead. Im a big fan of the 1st gen dodge cummins hoping i can score a deal on one of those here soon. I love the old 70 s pickups but diesel is soooooo much better for pulling- hauling.

18. Blstr88

Blstr88

The example the OP posted is extreme...it's in Canada too so I'm sure their prices are higher than ours by a lot.

I'm not arguing truck prices have gotten ridiculous but there's still plenty of trucks in the high 20s-low 30s which isn't unreasonable.

You just can't get a high trim, 4 door diesel and expect to be under $50k.

An extended cab 4x4 half ton will do great for 90% of people and those are all over the place for around $30k.

As for guys saying "oh I paid xxx back in 1997, trucks are ridiculous now!" - look around....EVERYTHING has gone up through the roof over the past 20 years. My parents bought their house 20-something years ago for $160k and will be putting it on the market for $460k this year. Food prices, fuel, clothing...everything goes up, it's called inflation.

That said, waaaaay more family's buy quad cab pickups nowadays as grocery getters which is why trucks come with so many unnecessary options and buttons.

More basic, reasonably priced pickups are still very easy to find.

The Tradesman trim Ram offers is a great example of it.

19. concretegrazer

concretegrazer

Odd that I was just paid the same as in 96.

Hammy, blacktail, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  20. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Like here. We bought it for him in 2010 but long story short it's my main vehicle now except for towing the 5th wheel or trailers from work or other things requiring a truck bed, but most often just picking up kiddo from the bus stop. I'm not comfortable driving cars since we got my Blazer in 1993, I drove too many miles for too many years and stupid drivers come in both cars and big trucks, I'd like to be above the point of impact if I somebody does hit me someday.