In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Essential logging tool questions

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by Born2Burn, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

I've been a legitimate firewood hoarder for at least 15 years now, I think it's time to add to my essential lumberjack tool collection.

I would like to get myself a Pickeroon, a Can't Hook/Peavey, and a set of tongs for the tractor bucket. I have done some preliminary research and right now I have a 48" Can't Hook and a 30" Penobscot Pickeroon in my shopping cart on Peavey's website. Thought I should inquire with all my friends here first.

From my reaearch, it looks like most prefer the Cant Hook over the Peavey. I will be lifting medium to large logs off the ground to saw and to wrap a chain around.

I am around 6-ft tall so the 30" Pickeroon seems to be a decent length.

Haven't had much luck on tongs yet.

I like Peavey brand over the log rite brand because I'm a wooden handle guy. I'll give it to them, fiberglass and other synthetic materials are generally stronger and last longer, but I prefer wood. Especially once it's nice and worn in and oiled.

So my question is: Does this seem like a decent choice? Any other quality U.S.A. brands I should be looking at? Any other advice?

Thanks

2. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

3. Rowerwet

Rowerwet

I have two Fiskars XA22 pickaroons, nice and light, and lifetime warrantied.
    My son and I love using them to roll rounds to the trailer, splitter, and I use it to pick up splits when stacking

leoht and Born2Burn like this.
  4. leoht

leoht

5. Will C

Will C

I have always used a Peavy, and I too like the wood handles. I have a Peavy that my dad used logging. Probably 50 years old. Can't hooks have usually been used more around sawmills.

Born2Burn likes this.
  6. Brian72

Brian72

I also have the Woodchuck dual. Very nice tool. Spend the extra $20 and get the log jack attachment. Works great for getting it off the ground for wrapping chains or bucking long logs to shorter lengths. Made in upstate NY. Great customer service too. I called and spoke to owner, placed my order and had it the following day. I also have a smaller Dixie cant hook that I really like too. Another excellent tool.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

7. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

I have a 60” Peavey and pickaroon from Peavey. No complaints about either. Longer is more leverage. I like the wood handled tools too.

I find pulp hooks to be really handy tools too. 2 of them are great for picking up middsized rounds.

8. Rowerwet

Rowerwet

Tools I have the basic one of these, just got it for Christmas and haven't had a chance to test it yet, it seems that people really like theirs

9. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

Thank you for all of the kind replies.

Although I don't doubt the quality and efficiency of the Fiskars brand, I am very partial to the old fashioned wooden handles. I have taken all of your advice into consideration but I still think I'm going to move in the Peavey Manufacturing direction with the wooden handles.

I have changed my mind a bit though after more consideration. I think I will move on a 54" Cant Hook and a 36" Pickeroon. From some additional research, it seems a longer Cant Hook is better than a short - yet I rarely find myself working with logs larger than 18". If I do, I figure I can always just use a bit more muscle to spin it over.

As far as the Pickeroon goes, I'm kind of sort of just guessing on a length. I don't know exactly what I'll use it for most but I hear it's a "must have" in the tool shed.

Which brings me back to the seemingly endless debate - Peavey vs Cant Hook. From my research and video watching, it appears a Cant Hook is the tool for me. I do not operate a log mill or a river operation. I spend my logging work out in the woods dropping a tree or four down, dragging them out with the tractor, sawing them up, and splitting for firewood.

10. Brian72

Brian72

For rolling logs, both work great. I do find the spike on the peavey to be a better all around working tool in the woods. It gives you more bite on the bigger logs and rough bark. I like a longer peavey for leverage but I also have a 3 foot cant hook that is quickly becoming my favorite. So much easier to handle unless I'm dealing with big logs. My peavey is aluminum and cant hook is wood. Both are great but I do love the feel of the wood handle.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

11. Rowerwet

Rowerwet

I went with a pickaroon that is long enough to stick into splits on the ground, without any bending or squatting.
    It also happens to be a perfect length for pulling big rounds around with it.

12. saewoody

saewoody

I have the Fiskars ax22. I believe it is 28” long, which at 5’10” allows me to reach to my feet, but not too far away from me. So I ordered a 36” pickaroon this winter, but haven’t had the chance to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

I received my 54" Peavey Manufacturing Cant Hook yesterday in the mail. EXTREMELY nice tool! Better quality and better usability than I expected!!

I am able to turn over a 18-24" log with little to no effort. Goodbye to the days of hitting them like a linebacker!

Pictures soon

Paul bunion likes this.
  14. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

Finally got to get some use out of the Peavey cant hook. Once again, awesome tool. Don't know how I ever survived without it

Attached Files:

Stlshrk, Joe Seaton, MikeInMa and 3 others like this.
  15. MikeyB

MikeyB

That’s a Beast B2B. I am going to look into the Peavy tools. Thanks for sharing.

Paul bunion likes this.