In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

husky 61 compression?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by chuck172, Feb 17, 2018.

  1. chuck172

    chuck172

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2017
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    sussex county nj
    I've been having a hard time starting my chainsaw. Compression is 90 psi. Too low?
     
    TurboDiesel likes this.
  2. walt

    walt

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2016
    Messages:
    978
    Likes Received:
    8,614
    Location:
    north central ohio
    I don't think it is going to start,takes about 120 to run weak. I'm sure some of the mechanics will chime in soon
     
  3. huskihl

    huskihl

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2016
    Messages:
    3,719
    Likes Received:
    21,422
    Location:
    Michigan
    Take the muffler off and check the piston for vertical scoring. If it's still smooth, the rings are possibly worn out. Easy saw to work on
     
    Cold Trigger Finger likes this.
  4. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    I don't use my 61 much anymore but compression is 160
     
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  5. Cold Trigger Finger

    Cold Trigger Finger

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2017
    Messages:
    2,866
    Likes Received:
    17,359
    Location:
    Easern Central Alaska
    Good chance the ring stuck on the exhaust side. If it's not scored real bad it's a relatively easy fix.
    The 61 is a good basic powerhead.
     
  6. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    Welcome to the club, chuck172 !
     
    walt likes this.