In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Normalcy bias and circulation lines

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by Casper, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Casper

Casper

I have a Hardy OWB with a 100' run. We heat the house and domestic hot water. Last year I had to replace my Taco pump due to the impeller breaking apart. This was the first time I needed to replace the pump since the install in 2004. After swapping, the forced air wasn't very hot, warm, but not hot. I immediately thought there was an obstruction. I ran Sizzle through the lines and exchanger thinking there was a little calcium from my make up water. I drain and fill with rain water every year but thought maybe a piece of plastic may have lodged in a calcium deposit somewhere underground.

Last year was warm so the blower did fine keeping up with heat demand. This year the blower has been running much much more during the cold snaps. I was starting to think I was going to have to excavate new lines. Last night while laying in bed I remembered slightly kinking the hot side line when swapping the pump but rounded it back out and didn't give it another thought at the time.

Today, I did a quick test by changing the domestic hot water feed line and the formerly kinked circulation line. Problem solved. I'm going to pull the damaged line 3-4' and extend the copper in the basement to make up the difference.

I've been wracking my brain since the first of January dreading the thought of buying new line and the mess of digging. Now, it's a simple fix.

Yea for those midnight inspirations!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    MikeyB, campinspecter, GrJfer and 3 others like this.
  2. fuelrod

fuelrod

That's great! I too do some of my best work in bed!:rofl: :lol:

campinspecter likes this.
  3. Casper

Casper

What a difference, wood use has dropped the past few days. The firebox was 2/3rds consumed almost every time I filled it. The past few days it's been over half way full both morning and night. I bet burned an unnecessary 2+ cords the first three months of the heating season.

Glad it was an easy fix.

4. fuelrod

fuelrod

Sometimes that type of problem will make you assume the most difficult or expensive component is whats bad, I know that is usually my typical reaction. It's great that the right problem just "came to you" and a straight forward cheap fix did the trick.:thumbs: