In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Thanks buckaroo:D
    :handshake:

2. Horkn

Horkn

Get better soon Eric!

I cut hauled split a load of wood from the wood lot.

This was the take away front the wood lot.

I hauled home a load of split elm to burn. That's all stacked on the patio. IMG_20180203_121621407_HDR.jpg

3. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

They have Ford's and gm, gm,s are are called holdens but Ford's are ford made in Australia. You almost recognize them

4. Horkn

Horkn

5. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

Awwwww. Beautiful creatures

6. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

New Chevy resembles a tundra way too obviously, no?

Ram looks decent with no chrome. I see they've finally added a 6th lug.

qi1mx33spzn71tgku2rp.jpg 2019-ram-1500-rebel-dirt.jpg

7. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Very true.
    .....still worth it. :emb:

8. Horkn

Horkn

It's going to be interesting seeing what gm will have for all of the drivetrains. But, I don't see them doing as much as ford has for 2018. The chevy, least that one looks a bit too unfinished. The ram looks good, I just don't know it's it's done enough. It sounds like the drivetrains on the team are pretty much carry over with some added programming and a few added things. If they had a small v8, or turbo gas 6 they would be helping themselves out.

The new GM's don't come out until the end of 2018, the new Rams come out in March.

Plus with the ranger coming back, and the Jeep scrambler, and new revised tundra this is a great year to buy a new truck.

9. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Jeep Scrambler?? Seriously? That would be really cool.

10. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

Well, Gm at least has the i6 diesel. Job to know how the diesel half tons will go...... the engines, im used to teenage trucks with small v8s, personally if its a proven reliable unit that gets mileage even slightly better than I'm used to, what am I missing? Mind you I'm a calm driver, I'm not obsessed with power, I don't haul more than a small trailer and that's occasionally. If I routinely hauled big trailers, I'd desire a but more power.

I can't say I'm truly impressed per se, the interior is decent, at least the wheel wells are round, but honestly looks uncannily like a current tundra from a lot of angles. I thought the new titan (which I like mind you, they've come a long way) had enough subtle similarities to recent ford's that it became not so subtle, but the new gm makes me more than highly suspicious of copycatting. All in all the looks are a huge improvement on both, even if the gm looks too much like a tundra, the tundra a quite decent looking truck, they've also come a long way. 10 years ago I wouldn't have touched a Toyota or Nissan, but buying new right now I'd look at them before gm or ram.

Looks wise, the front end of the gm is ugly, especially in Chrome, but I think a ptm bumper would be a huge help there. All in all, in spite of all the aforementioned, when I see them in person and I have a chance to tone to it, they might be my favorite gm since the 88-98. Those I loved, every gm since I've disliked with sclect exceptions.

The ram....honestly, I am fairly impressed. I'm interested to see the 2500 and 3500s of both the gm and ram, the current ram HD I like, the 1500 is nothing more or kess than a flat decent in the looks department. The new ram 1500 is intriguing and unique, designing a truly unique truck is hard, and I don't see many if any features suggesting copycatting.....some huts of previews dodge trucks of course, but otherwise....perhaps a hint of tundra around the wheel wells, but it's hard to avoid a single hint.

An underappreciated and dying class, I'd like to see the regular cabs.

The ford....I would imagine they won't be doing a whole redesign till at least 2020 or 2021. I fell in love with the 2015, the first truck that did that to me for a long time.... 2018 refresh saddened me....they've grown on me a little, but most of the grilles still don't impress me.

One thing I wonder about, being from a salt rich environment.....the new frames are light yet strong, but how long will the thinner metal stay sound, being that there's ultimately less to give under corrosion? I also wonder, for all the benefits of aluminum, will it's higher corrosion resistance only hasten the demise of the iron frame - the chemically weakest metal goes first. Let's hope - and let's be under no delusion that they make them as rust resistant as possible, we know that wouldn't help new truck sales - that the metal is increasingly rust resistant.
    PS, I have to laugh about people brushing off the risk of corrosion on aluminum bodies - granted, it might be much slower to lose its strength than steel, but it'll still break through the paint with a distorted surface if not properly cared for. The aluminum hoods and other parts they've used for years prove that.

The ranger is ok, I'm still waiting and wishing well for the bronco.

All that being said, I'll drive my 2002 ford as long as I can, and even then, I probably won't be able to afford a new one, so I'll just munch the proverbial - or is it metaphorical - popcorn, and see how all this plays out :seasoned:

For a NFLD truck over 15 and a half years old, she's aging well. Edges of the bed supports are fading and there's a few bubbles over the rear wells I should address when it's warmer, but most trucks this age here are literally broken in half or close to it.

DSCN2776.JPG

Gasifier, Midwinter, bogieb and 4 others like this.
  11. Horkn

Horkn

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    Gasifier, bogieb, Chvymn99 and 5 others like this.
  12. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

13. Horkn

Horkn

They'll be pricey though. Especially with that diesel.

Gasifier, Jack Straw, bogieb and 5 others like this.
  14. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

Pricey...nothing new for a jeep :rofl: :lol:

Gasifier, Jack Straw, bogieb and 5 others like this.
  15. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Cool, I'll keep my eyes out for one. "Detroit" is always doing high altitude testing here, I'll try to be nice to those drivers. ;)

Gasifier, bogieb, Chvymn99 and 3 others like this.
  16. Horkn

Horkn

I personally love the new grills / front ends of the 2018 Ford's. They are a huge improvement over the 15-17 front ends, imho. Yes, aluminum can still corrode. Ford learned a lot over the years by having aluminum hoods over the years. Company's like Audi figured it out successfully, even making entire vehicles bodies/ unibody out of aluminum ( a8).

Ford's frames have been seriously beefier than the competition for years. How else is it that their all aluminum body 15-17 150s were still the same weight as the GM twins despite losing 700 lbs on average? Yes, the turbo v6 probably weighs less than any of the GM v8's. Fords 5.0 surely weighs a little more than even the 3.5 ecoboost. The chassis or the running gear has to be the rain. Either means that it's built well.

Even with the salt we put down here, there's a buttload of f150s in your years that are running around. My buddy's 98 with the 4.6 has a very clean frame. I don't think his is atypical.

Jack Straw, bogieb, Chvymn99 and 3 others like this.
  17. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

Get better soon, Eric. I feel for ya, as my lower back always hurts.

18. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

Haha, different strokes I guess....I love the 15-17, especially the sport grille. Well, the world would be boring if we all had the same tastes....

I agree, ford's frames have been overall ahead of the rest for a long time. They're all improving in the ability to make stronger frames out of thinner metal than before, some faster than others. Let's just hope they make them more corrosion resistant. Sure, a brand new truck might have a much stronger frame than an older one due to improved metal, but assuming equal corrosion resistance, the thin high strength steel on the new one will give out first in a corrosion battle of course, simply less of it to rust before it's gone. The 04-14 fords seem to hold up to rust well, im amazed just how well my 04 held up to all the abuse threw her way. Time will tell on the 15s. As far as an all aluminum body, I'm guessing it won't be all that long before the others hop on the wagon.

I do still see a good few 97-03 f150s in decent to excellent shape, but I've also seen a lot go the way of the dodo. Mind you, that's not just a Ford problem - the dodges were as bad if not worse, and don't even get me started on the 99-06 (07) GM......the bodies go like hot cakes on all them, the 1500s frames didn't hold up worth a damm. The HD frames seemed more rust resistant, but then they were famous for cracking when plowed with, even when not rusty. (Although I'll admit that issue goes far before 99).

Mind you, we don't just have road salt, we have salt air and a lot of trucks are backed into salt water and probably never washed. How they're looked after is the biggest thing. My 02 was looked after. Very solid frame and body for the age. My 04 was shot, despite being younger. Drive train still ran like a scalded ape, body and frame were all but gone. But she was abused. Can't blame the newer generation either, cause I lost my 99 to rust too.

Honestly, for whatever reason, I think the only pickup truck I haven't seen or heard of corrosion damage on is a Ford super duty.

And occasionally, you get an individual truck of any model that just won't die......farmer near me still has an early 80s dodge. Very little rust for the age, still purrs like a kitten, and I know she wasn't looked after right, I wouldn't doubt but the rain is the closest thing to a wash the trucks ever gotten. "Should" have been ready for the scrap pile at least 15 years ago, but somehow beat the odds.

And usually, it's the low mileage ones I see rusted out. Especially in a northern and/or coastal environment, sitting kills them a lot more than driving them all day ever will. It's funny, down south and some places out west where they only use sand and don't have salt air, good engines are comparatively high priced with high demand, and they'll scrap a rust free body part if they have no use for it cause there's just no demand for it. Places like here, good used engines are dime a dozen, but the trucks are rusted out around them, and rust free parts, and especially whole trucks, bring top dollar.

NortheastAl, Horkn and bogieb like this.
  19. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

Was out with my buddy in an 09 Silverado with over 220K miles......ended up that he took me to work and picked me up haha. Trucks not bad, except the passenger door doesn't open from inside......

He showed me a couple old trikes he has, and I've seen far worse wood piles.......l :stacker:

DSCN4451.JPG View attachment 155159 DSCN4452.JPG

milleo, NortheastAl, Horkn and 5 others like this.
  20. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

What's in those plastic pallet boxes by wood?

NortheastAl, Horkn, Gasifier and 2 others like this.