In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

scrounging in January, in a Tee shirt, again...

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Rowerwet, Jan 28, 2018.

  1. Rowerwet

    Rowerwet

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2015
    Messages:
    2,310
    Likes Received:
    12,294
    Location:
    Seacoast NH/MA
    fishingpol sent me a scrounge alert in town on Friday, the city has a nice map that shows who owns what, and we found that the land the power company was cutting on is owned by the local Mosque.
    I swung by the Mosque on the way home and had a nice chat with one of the owners.
    so saturday I was out scrounging wood in my tee shirt again, just like last January, UGH!
    Had a cop stop and tell me that he had recieved a complaint that I was taking wood. but he didn't have much to say after I told him the property owner had given me permision.
    we were back for a secon trailer load when the city bus drops off a guy in a wheelchair, he heads across the street, and starts up a hill, this is an area where the sidwalk ends and there are no breakdown lanes, and he is wheeling himself along by hand.
    I went over to see if he if he was going to one of the houses near there, and he told me he was headed about a half mile down the road.
    We gave him a ride.
    He told me he climbed trees for years, ended up with his saw stuck in his belly once, pinned himself to the tree with one of his spikes before, and then ended up in a wheelchair because he got hit by a car....
    He offered me his almost new Timberwolf splitter to borrow, and says he has a bunch of trees to take down, and I can have all the wood.
    Not sure how you cut trees in a wheel chair...
     
  2. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    What type of trees did you end up with? Did you check out the downed tree further up?
     
  3. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    Great story!:handshake:
    You've been blessed.
     
  4. Rowerwet

    Rowerwet

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2015
    Messages:
    2,310
    Likes Received:
    12,294
    Location:
    Seacoast NH/MA
    We got a couple trailer loads of Oak I believe, with some pine thrown in for my son try selling in bundles for local fire pit owners.
    I got three trailer loads total, checked out the one further down you mentioned, but by then we were running out of daylight, and rather tired
     
  5. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Good grab.

    If your son is going to sell bundles of wood, I'd buy some for my outdoor wood oven. I can always use some pine to start it and maple or oak for the long burn.

    Right now I am using white cedar but I have a limited supply until a fence post snaps.
     
    Backwoods Savage and Horkn like this.
  6. JWinIndiana

    JWinIndiana

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2017
    Messages:
    1,440
    Likes Received:
    8,770
    Location:
    NorthWest Indiana
    I can't imagine being that bus driver and not worrying about this guy getting home. 1/2 mile, what the heck, take him all the way. Anyway, great on you for stepping up.
     
  7. Rowerwet

    Rowerwet

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2015
    Messages:
    2,310
    Likes Received:
    12,294
    Location:
    Seacoast NH/MA
    He'sa very independent guy.
     
  8. Rowerwet

    Rowerwet

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2015
    Messages:
    2,310
    Likes Received:
    12,294
    Location:
    Seacoast NH/MA
    I'll get him to split some up for you.
     
    fishingpol and Backwoods Savage like this.
  9. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Excellent. I fully support a young entrepreneur learning that a little hard work has value.
     
    Rowerwet and Backwoods Savage like this.