In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New kitchen window going in!

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Pallet Pete, Jan 18, 2018.

  1. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    These 400s are full screen too. Since we didn't know what the siding was going to be, I just got the beige-ish exterior.
     
  2. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,641
    Likes Received:
    130,635
    Location:
    Vermont
    lukem so do I, 3 feet by 6 feet, what I did, was I went to Pella retail store and they were throwing out sliding glass doors one side broke. if you take the frame off and reframe the window to so it fits. Real cheap fix glass triple pane windows there's three of my living room 1516389942347708755529.jpg
     
    milleo, Woodwidow, wildwest and 3 others like this.
  3. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,277
    Likes Received:
    66,632
    Location:
    IN
    My opening is 164" x 69". There's a similar window on the other side of the house and they spanned it with a single 12" header so I'm fairly sure they did the same on the one I want to replace.

    My window guy is a Pella rep and usually treats me pretty good. He can even get me into their "bone yard". I want to be able to open them up and get some air flowing, so this wouldn't work for me, but it's a really good idea.
     
  4. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    it’s official I’m calling wallside for the rest This windows is amazing! The draft is gone and it’s virtually noise proof in the kitchen now. No outside noise at all!

    The big teller was the lack of moister on the windows when we are cooking!

    They sent a flyer out stating that there is a buy one get one promo soon so I’ll be dropping money on 4 more windows in the near future!
     
    milleo, wildwest, brenndatomu and 3 others like this.
  5. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,641
    Likes Received:
    130,635
    Location:
    Vermont
    Bogo on windows :thumbs:
     
    wildwest, papadave and Pallet Pete like this.
  6. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    That’s what ours was only two windows opening opposite each other. The wife loves them but Not the cold. They lost the seal for the gas years ago and we didn’t realize it till this year. There was a missing piece of trim and I noticed a small crack in the bottom of the glass. Enough to let the gas out:bug:
     
    wildwest, fishingpol and papadave like this.
  7. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    INDEED! Both Hansen windows and Wallside do that a few times a year. I don’t know if one is better than the other but I do know the installers where very professional and friendly...
     
  8. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
  9. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    That lead me to replace our mudroom door. Old single pane wood frame door would fog up boiling water. Replaced with insulated steel skin door with insulated glass and never looked back.
     
    wildwest, papadave and Pallet Pete like this.
  10. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    Sounds like our front door! When we bought this place it had an interior door with three step windows as the main door and a $100 storm door:picard: cuz that makes sense.

    We picked up a half moon window insulated door at Home Depot and dad helped me put it in.
     
  11. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    A little up front cost, worth it in the long run.
     
    wildwest, papadave and Pallet Pete like this.
  12. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    Well he wasn’t kidding!! Looks like I’m ordering more windows!

    A7C63A00-E42B-4B22-833B-E6425FE5DB2B.png
     
    wildwest and papadave like this.
  13. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    Defiantly! We went years without doing many upgrades but we have been really working hard to fix this old house up the last couple of years.

    The wife really loves it here so why not.

    She showed that kitchen window to everyone via text! Lol not that that’s much different than my posting it here...:rofl: :lol:
     
    wildwest, fishingpol and papadave like this.
  14. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,655
    Likes Received:
    144,627
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Glad to see that!! My 16' slider window wall was ruined by a tiny tornado, it's getting replaced this summer, we were going to save all the 48 x 78 (ish) pieces for an addition in the near future, so glad others do it and it really works!!
     
  15. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Same here on our deck door, except no storm. Iced up in winter. Besides that, it was 32"
    Who thinks this stuff is a good idea?
    Dang Pete, thinking we should have checked out Wallside. That's a great deal if the windows are decent.
    Keep it going and like Stinny says, you'll be able to heat the place with a candle.
     
  16. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    I can’t say enough good about them! Talked to my friend the other night who used Hanson windows a few years back and has the same experience. All made in Michigan to size for him with something like a 35 year warrenty buy one get one.

    That’s a sweet deal he got too!
     
    papadave and Canadian border VT like this.