In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Liner Question

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by ReelFaster, Jan 10, 2018.

  1. ReelFaster

    ReelFaster

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2016
    Messages:
    2,880
    Likes Received:
    19,969
    Location:
    S.Jersey
    Just doing a little homework for if and when the day comes I convert my open FP to an FP Insert. Couple of quick questions on the liner. What is absolute must have in a liner? I've seen some posts saying stay away from 2-ply. Also is it worth getting a pre-insulated liner? And is it best to get a smooth walled liner for easier cleaning? Any recommendations on a good quality liner, much appreciated! Thank in advance!
     
  2. Warner

    Warner

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2017
    Messages:
    7,368
    Likes Received:
    47,698
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    I’ll be interested in what people have to say as I’m in need of a liner myself.
     
  3. Warner

    Warner

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2017
    Messages:
    7,368
    Likes Received:
    47,698
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    And I’m no expert but it might help to know what size the flue is and if it’s on the outside of the house or center.
     
  4. ReelFaster

    ReelFaster

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2016
    Messages:
    2,880
    Likes Received:
    19,969
    Location:
    S.Jersey
  5. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    I'd start off by measuring the flue size and making sure a liner to fit the planned stove or insert will fit down the flue. A visual inspection should be done to see if there are any possible obstructions such as out of place clay flue sections that were not laid up perfect, or a cracked tile that a piece may have shifted.

    As far as liners we have a stainless flex with blanket insulation added on before it was installed. No issues cleaning the corrugated flex with a Sooteater. Seasoned wood just leaves some light ash that cleans easily.

    Liner suppliers have easy to navigate websites that have a lot of information and dimensions. Some have install videos too.
     
    ReelFaster likes this.