We only use our Jotul 602 for the occasional fire in the sunroom. Haven't been using it much in the past while as the sunroom has 6' high vinyl windows on 3 walls and the little 602 struggles to keep up when the temp drop much below 5F. So we get a buildup of unburnt coals in the ash. What I normally do is pull as much live coals as I can in front of the inlet vents and this helps to burn the coals down to dead ash. but the front lip of the stove below the door is only about 2" high, so this limits how much live coals I can stack in front of the inlet vents. So I'm thinking of having some kind of grate fabbed up that I can stack the coals against. Check the thumbnail: Has anyone made up something like this?
I'd be curious if it works. Makes sense that it would. You could always bend some expanded sheet in a "v" and put it upside down across the front so it free stands.