In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Shop heater

Discussion in 'Non-EPA Woodstoves and Fireplaces' started by Warner, Dec 27, 2017.

  1. Warner

    Warner

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2017
    Messages:
    7,368
    Likes Received:
    47,698
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    3F4C3554-7B89-4113-843F-D580AFCB0D95.jpeg I have tried several heaters in the shop none have really worked all that great. Surfing Craig’s list I found a through the wall kit and got myself a late Xmas present.
    Last night I was talking to my bud that drives a trash truck and asked him to keep an eye out for a stove for me. He said he knows where one is that could be had for free! In his garage he took it out of his house when he moved in. I didn’t want to go into full stove geek mode so I said thanks and I’ll be by to check it out tomorrow.
    Now if it wasn’t so damm cold out I’d be putting the kit in but I think today will be inside projects.
     
    boettg33, wildwest, Chvymn99 and 4 others like this.
  2. shack

    shack

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2017
    Messages:
    656
    Likes Received:
    4,086
    Location:
    Upstate NY
    That is Awesome...sounds like the stove may be in decent shape...and free is the best. Nice score!
     
    wildwest, Chvymn99 and VOLKEVIN like this.
  3. Warner

    Warner

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2017
    Messages:
    7,368
    Likes Received:
    47,698
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    76EF5414-0B03-483D-A103-4639543412CB.jpeg Turns out it’s a VC Intrepid. I figured it would be a non epa...

    Outside is a bit rough from sitting in a garage for 10 years but the inside looks good! It’s smaller than what I’m used to but the price was right. I gotta go get some propane for my useless space heater and start putting up the stack.
     
    boettg33, wildwest, milleo and 6 others like this.
  4. WeldrDave

    WeldrDave Military Outpost Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,182
    Likes Received:
    56,138
    Location:
    The Communist Socialist Republic of New Jersey
    Super cool!!! :cool: I have a good buddy who is heating his house with one just like it! I believe his is an Intrepid II? Top load, he loves his and I've been to his house many times drinking beer in front of his! :drunk: Some elbow grease and she'll clean up nice. Can you get it sand blasted? I did my Grandma fisher with a heavy wire cup and the paint just isn't as good as if it were blasted.
     
    wildwest, Chvymn99 and TurboDiesel like this.
  5. Warner

    Warner

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2017
    Messages:
    7,368
    Likes Received:
    47,698
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Thanks for the ID.
    I suppose I could get it blasted, but it’s gonna be in the shop so it makes no difference to me as long as it heats. Maybe this summer when I disconnect it to get it out of the way.
     
    wildwest, Chvymn99 and WeldrDave like this.
  6. WeldrDave

    WeldrDave Military Outpost Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,182
    Likes Received:
    56,138
    Location:
    The Communist Socialist Republic of New Jersey
    I'm with ya! I'm one of those guys that I gotta make it look nice before putting it into action! Kind of a OCD thing... Well, I looked at this for 20 years! o_O:eek: But she had been doing her job well! And I had been away for 12 of those 20 in the military. Then I decided it was time to give her a face lift.
     

    Attached Files:

    boettg33, wildwest, milleo and 2 others like this.
  7. Warner

    Warner

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2017
    Messages:
    7,368
    Likes Received:
    47,698
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Looks great! My buddy’s uncle has a sandblasting trailer so I’m sure I can get him to do it some day. I don’t think he will be running it much as of late. Too cold...
     
    wildwest and WeldrDave like this.
  8. WeldrDave

    WeldrDave Military Outpost Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,182
    Likes Received:
    56,138
    Location:
    The Communist Socialist Republic of New Jersey
    I just looked at the Intrepid II, That's what my buddy has, it has the full glass vs. the half glass like yours. That should be a super little heater. :cool:
     
    wildwest likes this.
  9. Warner

    Warner

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2017
    Messages:
    7,368
    Likes Received:
    47,698
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    DD410D7B-E829-44D1-AF20-D7EC5E2AA40C.jpeg C014F232-EAC3-460D-BD2D-16E1605E3DE2.jpeg This stove is starting to clean up nicely!
     
    wildwest, shack and WeldrDave like this.
  10. Warner

    Warner

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2017
    Messages:
    7,368
    Likes Received:
    47,698
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    9DAFFB16-4B94-4171-9055-B9280467F097.jpeg Got the intrepid all hooked up. Just want to put a heat shield in the ceiling above the pipe and she’s ready for fire.
     
  11. WeldrDave

    WeldrDave Military Outpost Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,182
    Likes Received:
    56,138
    Location:
    The Communist Socialist Republic of New Jersey
    "SUPER" Nice!!!! :yes::cool: She'll give you many years of service. :)
     
    fishingpol and wildwest like this.
  12. Warner

    Warner

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2017
    Messages:
    7,368
    Likes Received:
    47,698
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Thanks. I’m just hoping it won’t take a week to heat the cold shop with this little stove.
     
    wildwest and WeldrDave like this.
  13. WeldrDave

    WeldrDave Military Outpost Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,182
    Likes Received:
    56,138
    Location:
    The Communist Socialist Republic of New Jersey
    Well, get you a cheap box fan and circulate the heat, I think it may suprise you. I realize your in NH but it may be a little gem to take the bite off.
     
    wildwest likes this.
  14. Warner

    Warner

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2017
    Messages:
    7,368
    Likes Received:
    47,698
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Some insulation may help:emb:
     
    wildwest and WeldrDave like this.
  15. WeldrDave

    WeldrDave Military Outpost Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,182
    Likes Received:
    56,138
    Location:
    The Communist Socialist Republic of New Jersey
    Little at a time, I bought a pallet load of torn and ripped stuff one time from a distributer, I was adding a layer of insulation in my attic, got 12 rolls of ood, mixed stuff and thickness for $50.00. :dex: Did my whole attic.
     
    wildwest likes this.
  16. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,549
    Likes Received:
    141,565
    Location:
    US
    Nice set up Warner :thumbs:
    As for insulation, maybe look to stuff some around that wall penetration :yes:
    Can’t wait to see fire in the stove :fire:
     
    WeldrDave and wildwest like this.
  17. Warner

    Warner

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2017
    Messages:
    7,368
    Likes Received:
    47,698
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Thanks, the light shining in bugs me! Didn’t have any spare insulation in stock.
     
    wildwest and Eric VW like this.
  18. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,549
    Likes Received:
    141,565
    Location:
    US
    Want me to send you some of this to you-
    image.jpg
    :eek:
    :whistle:
    :rofl: :lol:

    JK

    I’m removing it from the basement ceiling in order to paint the joist bays.... it’s kinda superfluous anyway since we heat from the bottom up....
     
    WeldrDave likes this.
  19. Warner

    Warner

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2017
    Messages:
    7,368
    Likes Received:
    47,698
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Paint the joist bays? For looks? Or is there some other benifit?
     
    Eric VW likes this.
  20. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,549
    Likes Received:
    141,565
    Location:
    US
    Will paint white for some light reflection, and to give it more of a cottage feel, light some of the beach cottages down the road from my childhood home on the north shore of Long Island:yes:
    No other benefit really.:)