This Jøtul came with the house. Unfortinitly looks like the insides are pretty toasty to say the least. I’ll bet it will be a step up from Warner the wood beast but is it worth it?
If it only needs a few parts, I would say so. It is quite a heater around 80k btu's. Looks like it has the top loader foot pedal to lift the top. It could bring some value on CL too.
If you can’t find parts, maybe see if there’s a fabricator who might help you out? If anything looks like you got some plate metal but could otherwise be ok to fix. Where are you planning on having it?
It would replace the stove in the basement. At some point id like to move the wood heater onto the main living level but for now it’s safest in the basement. My dad bought it with the cat burned out and used it anyway. Mostly as a back up if the power went out or when it got real cold. Until the damper plate was so warped it was scary hard to control. I called the local jotul dealer and parts are scarce and expensive. Like almost 1000$ just for the parts I can see. Who knows what I’ll find when I take it apart. It is the heaviest stove I have moved. We slid it down the steps on a piece of plywood on top of some planks attached to the kubota. I’ll have to take it apart to get it out. Maybe I’ll do a better assessment then. As far as Craigslist I wouldn’t want to sell it to someone unless they fully understood that it’s unsafe the way it is. Someone(like my dad) May just think it’s a good deal and use it anyway.
Getting the wood beast going after work I kept looking over at the jotul. I said what the hell why not. The bolts have come out much eaiser than I had expected. The fella that I talked to at the local dealer seemed to want to sell me a new stove rather than parts. Anybody have any suggestions where to get parts? She may live again!
Hope you find out where. I know this may sound dumb but suppose you did a CL search for the same stove. Maybe be that you like the color of this but better parts in another? I'm really reaching here but if You found another stove, parts may not be either available or getting them may cost more than the stove is worth? If that plate back there runs 200 but you find another stove for 250 and intact, you can piece it out for backup replacement on just about everything. Something to think about...good luck sounds like a really good winter project.
I surf cl pretty regularly I haven’t seen one of these stoves come up. The outside pieces are in good shape. A few nicks in the enamel but no cracks. I suspect that any used stove would need the same parts replaced.
The combustor is busted, the back plate is torched and the damper assembly is sagged. Any help with parts location would be greatly appreciated.
Another big question is will this thing burn less wood? More heat? If more of the smoke is burned then there are environmental bennifits at the least...
Great project! Just as important, have you been taking FULL coverage pics of the disassembly process or do you have the exploded view/manual?
I wish I could find a parts diagram. I have taken pics. I’m an auto mechanic at a dealership my brain is trained to take things apart and get ALL of them back together. I was a bit intimidaded at first but it came apart real quick. Only took 3 beers to get it into pieces
I did some reading and this stove is very desirable being a cat and top loader. Search the net. This dealer is right in NH and looks like they can get parts. Just verify that it is the right model. Jotul Firelight, model 12 As far as being hard to control, it could have been a combination of bad gaskets or cracked stove cement where plates meet up letting extra air in. It would be a great project breathing life back into it.
Thanks I’ll check that out. I believe it was hard to control because of the damper assembly. The housing is quite distorted so the the door dosnt shut tight. Probably because it was still used with the cat burned out. Perhaps it’s called the bypass? Cat stoves are all new to me. I’m used to the steel box.
Thank you fishinpol! I can see an entire piece that I’m missing infront of the “back plate” . It’s difficult to see the diagram on my phone but that will be quite helpful.
I saw that part missing on yours and hopefully there will be no other surprises. The stove may look a bit of a mess right now, but if you disassemble and clean the parts up, it may show as a gem under the soot. My Jotul Castine was a CL find and it was burned poorly and vented into an 8 inch flue. It was pretty filthy inside, including the glass, but a teardown and cleaning has it back in near mint condition. I have a thread on here somewhere I'll see if I can find it.