In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Split-end

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by iBob, Nov 29, 2017.

  1. iBob

    iBob

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2017
    Messages:
    369
    Likes Received:
    2,252
    Location:
    London
    To chop, or not to chop, that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer a bleedin' great axe or to go with the mechanical monster of outrageous fortune; I chose the latter.

    Bardy B:hair:b

    split.JPG splitz.JPG
     
  2. Mag Craft

    Mag Craft

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Messages:
    4,802
    Likes Received:
    27,736
    Location:
    South East Wyoming
    Well now that did not take long. Ready for stacking. How many ton is the splitter.
     
  3. iBob

    iBob

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2017
    Messages:
    369
    Likes Received:
    2,252
    Location:
    London
    5 ton splitter and for not a lot of money.
    I wanted to wet my whistle on something small before going down the 22 ton behemoth route :hair:

    So far soooooooo good.

    B:picard:B
     
  4. stuckinthemuck

    stuckinthemuck

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,247
    Likes Received:
    15,345
    Location:
    Wandering around in the NH woods.
    William ShakesBob. Is that you?
     
  5. Mag Craft

    Mag Craft

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Messages:
    4,802
    Likes Received:
    27,736
    Location:
    South East Wyoming
    That is funny, I did the same thing. I bought a 5 ton electric splitter and used that until I bought a 22 ton gas splitter. I still have the 5 ton, I used to set it up on the tail gate of my truck.
     
    Hammy, Moparmyway and iBob like this.
  6. blacksmithden

    blacksmithden

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2017
    Messages:
    362
    Likes Received:
    2,710
    Location:
    Alberta Canada
    Ive got all the stuff to build my 17ish ton hydraulic splitter except the pump (waiting for it to go on sale :) ) I keep looking at those little ones in the mean time. The only thing I dont like about them is the spring action. In all the youtube videos Ive watched, they seem to kind if shoot the splits out to the sides when they finally let go. Is this a common issue with them ? I hate getting wacked with flying wood.
     
    Hammy likes this.
  7. iBob

    iBob

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2017
    Messages:
    369
    Likes Received:
    2,252
    Location:
    London
    Alas, my liege, I remain, B;)B of the shire.

    Cheers!
    B:picard:B
     
    amateur cutter and Hammy like this.
  8. Hammy

    Hammy

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2015
    Messages:
    732
    Likes Received:
    3,522
    Location:
    New Brunswick
    I’ve work iBob. These little splitters do work well and save a lot of swinging:).
     
    iBob, Mag Craft and MikeyB like this.
  9. Fabz

    Fabz Banned

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2017
    Messages:
    802
    Likes Received:
    1,150
    Location:
    Buffalo ny
    I had ryobi like that before I got a SuperSplit!
     
    iBob likes this.
  10. Kimberly

    Kimberly

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2015
    Messages:
    5,072
    Likes Received:
    12,819
    Location:
    The Kangaroo State
    It depends on the wood. When I am splitting pine for kindling it will shoot the small splits; I just hold my gloved hand over the split in case it does pop out. Other wood I have not had any problem shooting wood out. On the big pine splits it doesn't.
     
    Mag Craft and iBob like this.