In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Part of a Cherry Coming Down

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by thewoodlands, Nov 22, 2017.

  1. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    This will be the area we store the backhoe and some other things, so the Cherry in the picture will come down on Friday so that we can drop the backhoe there on Saturday.

    100_0678.JPG
     
  2. billb3

    billb3

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    10,513
    Likes Received:
    54,562
    Location:
    SE Mass
  3. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,718
    Likes Received:
    224,379
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Finally rebuilding the cherry stockpile!
     
  4. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,951
    Likes Received:
    52,505
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    Man does that do my heart good to hear you talk about some cherry for the pile.
     
  5. Boomstick

    Boomstick Banned

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2016
    Messages:
    1,379
    Likes Received:
    4,615
    Location:
    Saratoga county ny
    You have a ton of cherry trees!
     
  6. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Not much this year but I did cut some yooperdave .

    Locust Post , if I can keep my arse off the tractor enough next year we'll have a nice size cherry c/s/s.

    Boomstick , our bigger lot holds a lot of cherry. I'll see if I can get a picture of the bigger cherry that's down that will be my first or second job next spring.
     
  7. Mag Craft

    Mag Craft

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Messages:
    4,802
    Likes Received:
    27,736
    Location:
    South East Wyoming
    Looks pretty straight forward. Congrats on the cherry wood.
     
  8. amateur cutter

    amateur cutter

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    5,997
    Likes Received:
    48,771
    Location:
    Gun Lake MI
    I love Cherry, cures pretty quickly, decent heat. Great for 20-35 deg. temps, & smells superb.
     
  9. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    All went well with the drop so after I bucked it up, I put the American CLS to work on it. I'll finish the rest of the splitting tomorrow.

    I did use the pallet forks to get rid of the smaller branches. The last thing I did was get two different areas ready for stacking, it will hold 6 face cord or around 3.66 cord.
     

    Attached Files:

  10. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    you are brave storing equipment under those pines. Messy, sticky pitch, and can't go through a storm without dropping limbs. The vast majority of damage done here during the last storm was due to pines falling. White pine is everywhere here. Grows like weeds.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  11. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    All these years we've had stuff in the woods underneath pines, nothing has been hit with only one close call. Next year that area might not have any trees there, I'm running out of good days so we plan on bringing down two more pine but I need to stack some firewood first.
     
  12. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I split the rest of the cherry and what pine was left, the cherry will get stacked first.

    In pic 0690, I took a few stumps out with the chainsaws.

    Once the cherry is stacked, I'll rake up the area we plan on putting some trailers and other equipment.
     

    Attached Files:

  13. Mag Craft

    Mag Craft

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Messages:
    4,802
    Likes Received:
    27,736
    Location:
    South East Wyoming
    Looks like you got those stumps pretty low.
     
  14. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,951
    Likes Received:
    52,505
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    Good day it looks like.....I cut about 1/2 cord of poplar
     
  15. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Low enough for this year, next year some of the stumps furthest from the trail will come out.

    I plan on digging out the stump closest to the trail before Wednesday.
     
  16. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Since it's still warm for this time of year we put in two loads of pine, after I was setup for splitting the rains came so it was a wet one.
     
    Backwoods Savage and Gasifier like this.
  17. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Nice work there thewoodlands.
     
  18. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I've put the camera away for awhile but I did stack some of the cherry the last two days, tomorrow I'll have two face cord up.

    We've been doing a few things inside the house or else it would've been done yesterday.
     
    Backwoods Savage and yooperdave like this.