In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Colder here. What's your temp? What ya burnin?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Gasifier, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

Supposed to get down to 27F tonight. Just loaded up with some maple. Time to put the little one to bed.....and maybe go make myself vomit after eating too much.

2. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

Sitting at -5 C (22 ish F) with a bit of wind, snow supposed to fall, and warming up? slightly. It didn't rain though, which I was not looking forward to hunting in (of course I would have!) but the day isn't over yet.

Let the stove die out to clean the glass seeing weather is mild, so I'm burning heating oil. I think the stove has been running 24/7 since the 3rd, and I didn't clean the glass then because I was in a hurry to get fire. Imagine that.:D I'm gonna take a pic of the glass to put on Fatboy85's clean glass thread.

Horkn, Sean, FatBoy85 and 6 others like this.
  3. BigPapi

BigPapi

Loaded this morning at 3:30 with a bunch of uglies - mostly red maple. I hate to burn the hard stuff before it gets cold, but I don't want these getting buried and we're over due for snow. Wife tossed a couple splits on around 11 so I wouldn't have to tend the boiler when I got home from work at 1230. Straight to the feast! Got a keeper here I think. ;)

Topped up with hemlock for the overnight - mid to high 20s on deck, 29 a at the moment.

4. Ejp1234

Ejp1234

30's tonight! Finally some winter temps...

Mix of cherry, walnut, red maple and two honey locust splits! House is a perfect 72* and will stay that way! The secondaries are rolling!!

Horkn, Chvymn99, greendohn and 3 others like this.
  5. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

I found a 5" piece but even with a bit of sanding, my eyes can't pull the rings out

Horkn, Well Seasoned and Rope like this.
  6. Rope

Rope

Now you know why I used a magnifying glass.

7. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

image.jpg image.jpg
    I found a 5" piece, but even with some sanding my eyes can't make out the rings. I'll find a belt for the sander tomorrow n get er smooth as glass. That might help.

8. Rope

Rope

Wow they are hard to see 41 maybe.

9. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

31 out tonight so we're having another pine fire.

10. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

It was 20 below when my wife went to bed at 9ish pm. Ambient. When I took the dogs out at 11 pm there was 5-10 no breeze blowing and it was 2 above amb.
    Breeze was out of the north too. . we get another snow and I'll have enough to bank the house.

Horkn, Sean, saskwoodburner and 5 others like this.
  11. Gasifier

Gasifier

26 this morning. Pine and Ash burning in the Wood Gun.

Horkn, Rope, saskwoodburner and 4 others like this.
  12. boettg33

boettg33

High of 37 yesterday with a low of 28 last night. Loaded up the stove before bed with the Envi-blocks, Envi Blocks - The Friendly Firewood - at Barefoot Pellet Company - Troy PA.. Got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. Our room is still a bit cold. You go down the hall and in the next room you feel the warmth of the wood stove. It's so inviting.

My dream is someday build a house with an open floor plan where the wood stove would provide heat to all areas of the home. Hey a guy can dream.

Speaking of which I need to go put more block on the wood stove. Working a half day from home.

Jason from RI

Horkn, Rope, saskwoodburner and 2 others like this.
  13. yooperdave

yooperdave

Currently...in the low 40's with rain scheduled to show up.

Looks like mild temps for the next 7 days anyway.

Horkn, Rope, saskwoodburner and 3 others like this.
  14. greendohn

greendohn

Was 32 this morning with north winds,,loaded that greedy hungry beast out back last nite with a bunch of junk maple and mullberry.
    I'll check it this evening before going to work.

15. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

Currently sitting at -3 C (26 F) with a bit of wind.:thumbs: Has anyone seen my draft, because it went missing this morning! Glorified poplar kindling fire to chase the chill away.

Horkn, Sean, greendohn and 4 others like this.
  16. Erik B

Erik B

53 OAT amd 79IAT. Think I will let the fire go out. Could be close to 60 later this afternoon and the wife is doing some baking, so that helps.

Horkn, greendohn, Rope and 4 others like this.
  17. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

It was 45° this morning, started the fire just a bit after 5 AM. I burned a little bit of oak, locust atop of alder. Burn still going well but outside getting just a little warmer. Cooling down for the next 5-7 days at least.

Horkn, Sean, greendohn and 3 others like this.
  18. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

You did that! Nice perspective, sometimes the browning is good like it has a lens effect in a darker color. but the white doesn’t do much favors for flame.

I cleaned mine yesterday, it was fantastic, I hadn’t done so in about a week. The corners were browned to the point where it was a red resin color. But a couple paper towels wet with a dip in fine white ash is the best way to clean. Crystal clean. Wish I took pictures of it but next cycle I should!!

Horkn, Sean, greendohn and 4 others like this.
  19. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

If you put a small fan on the floor at the doorway of the cooler room blowing toward the warm room . It will warm the cool room right up. .
    I put them just inside the doorway of the cold room . even a 6" box fan will get the air circulating from the warm to the cool. But IT NEEDS TO PUSH AIR FROM THE COLD TO THE HOT . Not the other way.

Horkn, Chvymn99, Sean and 6 others like this.
  20. Rope

Rope

I do the exact as Cold Trigger Finger does. I use a small 6?inch box fan. I pull the air from the cold room The warm air will backfill the room. Iwill add that you can over push the air. I believe that when you are trying to heat the slower/cleaner the air flow the better thermal dynamics works. I feel a smooth clean air flow allows the warmer air column to fill the cooler room. In the past I pushed the air and used a stronger fan. When trying to cool the house in summer you need to push the most air you can. Opposite in winter with heat.