In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Poll: How happy are homeowners with the pellet stoves

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by jtakeman, Nov 24, 2017.

?

What is your current usage of pellets compared to alternatives(other)?

1. 100% pellet

23 vote(s)
    40.4%
  2. 75% pellet 25% other.

18 vote(s)
    31.6%
  3. 50% pellet 50% other.

8 vote(s)
    14.0%
  4. 25% pellet and 75% other.

5 vote(s)
    8.8%
  5. 100% other

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Taking a poll of the pellet users on current pellet dedication. Curious in these times(with cheap oil/NG) on your current usage. Checking to see your approximate(choose closest choice) pellet usage compared to the available alternatives(other) Other being Oil, NG, Propane, Heat Pump, Wood ect... And Electric(baseboard-furnace) if applicable!!

Those who choose 100% could you comment how happy you are with pellet heat? And those that assist with a % of other, Please comment what the other may be? Much appreciated!!

Thanks!!

P.S. I can adjust things as needed. Add suggestions in your comments..........

My vote was 100% pellet. Very happy with whole house pellet heating and only use wood as backup. Don't see a reason(just yet) not to be a pellet head having an all electric house. Just too expensive to even consider using electric unless its an emergency.........

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    bostonfan49, CleanFire, BHags and 2 others like this.
  2. will711

will711

I voted 70 / 25 pellet / electric , but it's closer to 90 / 10 . The electric is used in the upstairs bedroom to take the chill off . Pellet heat doesn't get all the way up there , rest of the house is all pellet with 2 stoves .

CleanFire, PelletHound, BHags and 3 others like this.
  3. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

I have my den on pellets and rest of the house on oil so my split is about 75/25 as a lot of heat goes up the stairwell.

4. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

We're ALL electric at my house...heat pump with electric backup....NG is not available....I love my pellet stove, probably even more than my wife :rofl: :lol:

5. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE

I voted 100% but its probably closer to 90%. I use space heaters in a couple hard to reach spots.

6. badbob

badbob

Mine is more like 95%-5%.

7. MikeSs

MikeSs

Probably 50/50.
    Have high efficiency NG forced air. Pellet stove in hard to heat family room. Also helps remaining of 1st floor. 2nd floor, needs the ng. Dont leave stove running during the day u less we are home.

8. Earl764

Earl764

Pellet heat is enjoyable heat.

My cost for fuel is locked since I buy for the whole season.

Only use oil if we go away.

Can heat the whole house.

9. Luneyburg

Luneyburg

100% here in the hills, love wood heat for 30 years was cordwood now with the hectic life I lead pellets all the way ! When i first moved into this old farmhouse and spent a ton of $ to install a new heating and cooling system (state of the art at the time) I regretted it immediately as the steam radiators were fricking awesome but the old boiler was on its last (asbsetos) legs so I had it abated and removed. That is the only other heat I have liked as well as wood heat. Some day if i ever get this house near complete I will look into a wood stove like Skeeters got, but until then its pellets 100 %

10. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

doood,im with you on that.....:rofl: :lol:.....i mean the NG not being avail.......

11. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

50/50 here,wood and pellets,used to be 100% wood with no back up plan:rofl: :lol:

12. BHags

BHags

75/25. oil during the day when needed, it costs the same as pellets right now. pellets all night long, making the house and floors nice and warm when we get up in the morning.

13. MtDew

MtDew

100% Pellet Heating. My ranch style house has electric baseboards and I have not even turned them on since buying this house in 2007. Very satisfied with the heat output of the stove and searching for pellet deals is so addicting!

14. bogieb

bogieb

99% pellets. Only use propane for backup and if I go away for a couple days. Still, if I go away I fill up the hoppers/extensions completely and let the pellet stoves go until they run out, so the boiler is barely used.

Don't have NG option. Electric very expensive and the boiler in this house is about 30 years old so probably not very efficient in its propane use. Couldn't change over to oil as there is no place to put the tank. Even if I could get propane at less than what I pay for pellets (would have to get below $1.50 I believe - not happening in my lifetime), I'd still use pellets for the basement heat and some of that would come up to the main floor.

I wouldn't mind a small wood stove for the basement now that they have the compressed wood bricks for about the same price per tonnage as pellets. That would get me thru any heating needs if I had a power outage. But, I really like being able to go anywhere from 24-72 hours between feedings for the pellet stoves, so don't actually see a wood stove as an option.

15. Rich250

Rich250

16. subsailor

subsailor

I've been 100% pellets for the last 5 or 6 years. I have a new furnace this year so may supplement a little but oil keeps creeping up so maybe not.

17. nailed_nailer

nailed_nailer

I voted 75% Pellet 25% other as I will probably use Oil at some point this season only because of the cheap price.
    I burn whatever is cheapest and available (on hand) for me.
    So far this year 21 bags of HD FSU's total and I did run the HHO furnace for about 1/2 hour to make sure it works.
    ---Nailer---

18. smoke show

smoke show

100% pellet, happy I didn't buy an Enviro.

19. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

At least one smart azz in the crowd hey?

Though you were sniffin skunk juice......

20. smoke show

smoke show

Smoking skunk weed