In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Snow skiddin… Saturday (pics)

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Stinny, Mar 8, 2014.

  1. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    It was sunny and warm today. Snow was getting soft fast. Pulled out 4 chunks of the bigger ash that I dropped yesterday. Will try some different rope rigging to speed up the load, un-load times. But obviously, if I was doing this as a job, I'm so slow… I'd starve… :whistle:


    100_0018.JPG

    yup, saws…I know, only 2… hangin with you guys… it's embarrassing.:emb:

    100_0017.JPG
    100_0021.JPG

    Then there was Bertha… bout all I want on… real heavy… nice log tho

    100_0029.JPG 100_0034.JPG

    Giz and Hoarder… ain't them chaps spiffy… :D

    100_0035.JPG

    walking the horse… damm thing stepped on me yesterday…:mad:

    100_0042.JPG

    Man that sun was nice… I'm waiting for the whole stack to drop in the 12" snow under it.

    100_0045.JPG

    Really feeling it after today but it's a good hurt. Can't wait til next time.
     
  2. Art C

    Art C

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2014
    Messages:
    165
    Likes Received:
    333
    Location:
    Northern NH
    NICE!!!
     
    HoneyFuzz and Stinny like this.
  3. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Nice Haul! Love the tracks on your 4 wheeler.
     
    HoneyFuzz and Stinny like this.
  4. Art C

    Art C

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2014
    Messages:
    165
    Likes Received:
    333
    Location:
    Northern NH
    Managed to get a couple problem cherries down today. One didn't fall the exact spot I wanted (ended up cleaving the pile from the last cherry). Oh well, will keep me busy for a few days.
     

    Attached Files:

    Backwoods Savage, HoneyFuzz and Loon like this.
  5. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    I had a leaner yesterday that I was going to pull over with ropes. Had it all set to go, and the wind started in against my pull. I took the rope off and let it go toward my neighbors. It layed down on the stonewall between us. I spent an hour trimming all of the top branches that went over the wall and throwing them back on our land, while wallowing around punching thru the crust and 18" snow. Worked off some lard I'm sure… :rolleyes:
     
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  6. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Nice work Stinny, only two saws but a kick azz setup, great pics.
     
    HoneyFuzz and NortheastAl like this.
  7. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    I really like the 257. I started out using the 338 because it's lighter and was enough for the smaller ash I started with. When I started in with the 257 and a new chain… damm… like it a lot.
     
    HoneyFuzz and thewoodlands like this.
  8. NortheastAl

    NortheastAl

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,887
    Likes Received:
    28,161
    Location:
    Putnam County NY
    Great log sled. Nice wood there too. Those tracks look unstoppable.
     
  9. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Thanks. Oh the tracks can be stopped. I found out that it really doesn't like a 6" log in deep snow. I was going along no prob up at our cabin, and stopped so quick I almost went thru the windshield. The front track goes up and over but the rear doesn't have that same ability. I started carrying a couple short 2x6 pieces in the cargo box, so I could "ramp" up and over a log, if it ever happened again.

    Today, the snow was getting corn mealy and when I lifted ole Bertha there, I could have made 4 big holes if I'd kept digging. There is a big advantage if that ever happens… even with the tracks down in their own 16" deep holes, you can release the load and just crawl up and out. Can't do that with wheels. I've tried, prolly like everyone else.
     
  10. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,283
    Likes Received:
    66,657
    Location:
    IN
    I could have used tracks today. If nothing else to keep from rutting up the trails too bad. It was muddy...nasty....did more damage than I would have liked to.
     
    HoneyFuzz likes this.
  11. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Mud isn't fun is it? Have used the Suz on tracks in soft slimy conditions a few times and it does pretty well …"floats" on top of it even better than it does on snow. Terrible to steer on the ground tho. Unless you're going straight all the time… :whistle: I've gotten so I only want the tracks on in winter now. I like the easier steering the rest of the time.
     
  12. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Nice set up
    Good days work even with the ATV
     
    Stinny likes this.
  13. HoneyFuzz

    HoneyFuzz

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2014
    Messages:
    4,490
    Likes Received:
    14,862
    Location:
    Northeast , Ohio
    What great pics !! The great pics of the saws...to the awesome tracked ATV pulling logs !! I especially like the pic of you sitting on the log with the dog..smiling ........thats what its all about :)
     
    Stinny likes this.
  14. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,177
    Location:
    Central MI
    Stinny, what happened on that one ash on the right? Looks like you notched it but it went the opposite direction on you.