In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Work for Saturday

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by thewoodlands, Mar 7, 2014.

  1. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I plan on starting on this Cherry tomorrow if it's not iced in, this is up in the bowl. You can't tell by this picture but it's a good size Cherry.

    The Cherry is behind the root ball. This area has tons of rocks so I better bring a few extra chains.

    Pic 6938 is the same Cherry that's on the ground.
     

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    Art C, Chvymn99, SolarandWood and 6 others like this.
  2. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Nice Wood! Hope you get pics of what you get today…

    I'm headed in to haul the 5 ash I dropped yesterday. Should grow the stack a bit.
     
  3. HoneyFuzz

    HoneyFuzz

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2014
    Messages:
    4,490
    Likes Received:
    14,862
    Location:
    Northeast , Ohio
    Good luck , be careful , and have fun !! My favorite wood to cut . It smells so good :)
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  4. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    It should be okay to cut since it's up off the ground some, I have to check on widowmakers first, there was one but I'm pretty sure it came down last fall.

    If there is a widowmaker I'll move on to some other downed stuff.
     
  5. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    How much snow left for the sled?
     
  6. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    We've got 12"-18" under a crust. I'm in for lunch right now and it's sunny and really nice down there. Snow's getting corn mealy but the trail is holding up so far and packing well with each log coming out riding on the sled and skis.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  7. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I loaded up the Moose Cargo Tub then headed back in with the sled, the trails on our property are still good for running the sled.

    Will get some nice firewood from this tree, I'm saving the biggest part of the Cherry so I can mill it, attached are some pics.
     

    Attached Files:

  8. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,177
    Location:
    Central MI
    Don't cut the rocks zap; just the trees.

    Our snow has loosened a bit because this morning my wife even broke through and sunk past her knees right by the house.
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  9. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Very nice, love burning that cherry.
     
  10. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Looks great you still have a lot of snow
     
  11. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,952
    Likes Received:
    52,508
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    Looks like good day Zap. Just can't go wrong with some more cherry in the stacks.
     
  12. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Looks like you've got some steep banks to deal with. Nice stuff.
     
  13. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    There are three different trunks coming out of the base, after I cut the top loose it stayed in the air, easy cutting on all three.

    Swags, we always have three cord of cherry ready each year, except this year, just over two cord.

    Certified106, it was a nice day, had to cut it short since my brother was coming tonight, just finished a nice meal at Sergi's in Potsdam New York.

    Locust Post, it felt good cutting today, I'm ready for some serious cutting this spring/summer/fall. Tomorrow might be a day off from cutting since my brother will be here, my nephew will be here too so I might take him out on one of the sleds for a small ride.
     
  14. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    We still have some good snow depth in certain areas, the footing was excellent.
     
  15. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Perfect…
     
  16. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,952
    Likes Received:
    52,508
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    Yes we have to remember to take time away from the work from time to time. Enjoy your time with family Zap.
     
    Stinny likes this.
  17. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Once you get on the west side of the hill that runs the length of the brook, we're losing snow quick.

    The deer are eating what they can find on that hill, not much snow at all.
     
    Certified106 and Stinny like this.
  18. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,952
    Likes Received:
    52,508
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    Here's a new family member that will be joining us next week. Australian Shepard...he gets his 6 weeks shots on Wed. then he'll join us.
     

    Attached Files:

    thewoodlands and Certified106 like this.
  19. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    They hear a chainsaw then show up, they were up on the hill (laying down) watching me cut, when I started to load up to head home they came down.
     

    Attached Files:

    swags, Stinny and SolarandWood like this.
  20. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    It's a BOY… congrats… :thumbs:
     
    Locust Post likes this.