In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The Feel-Good Moment....

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by FatBoy85, Nov 9, 2017.

  1. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    From a perspective, last month I was waiting around this time for the weekend to finish. I had the date and all this coordinated for the stove install.They promised a notification saying if the installers were en route and they stayed on that. Now as a first year wood-burner for Almost a month, I just had another feel good moment. Bringing wood in the house is rare to me but I did it tonight. There was justification right in front of me. B5E54C6C-6486-454E-8ADA-4A1D71794CC5.jpeg
    The amount of wood here will more than likely heat me throughout the night and into tomorrow but as I pile this in front of my heater...the biggest realization and relief hit me. Wood has saved me in some light. I’m actually happier. Happy to have the stove and really glad I gave myself a headstart in the wood!!

    Fire has a certain quality of being uplifting and warm not only physically but mentally. Everything about fire has me no longer seeing the wall heaters anymore. Whilst I won’t take them out(though I damm well want to!!) they may come in handy later if I am legally not allowed to burn. Until that time comes... it’s a no brainer... 41098CC2-6AC5-45F8-8844-336D8D0BEC49.jpeg
     
  2. Warner

    Warner

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2017
    Messages:
    7,368
    Likes Received:
    47,698
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Gotta love wood heat! There are many aspects to enjoy.
     
  3. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    I’ve got too many to list. And that too many is a great thing.
     
  4. Warner

    Warner

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2017
    Messages:
    7,368
    Likes Received:
    47,698
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    For me it’s when I come in from being outside on a cold February day and the stove is radiating. That’s the life
     
  5. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    Did that last weekend, it was snowing, hard! I had loaded up apple, cherry and plum from the bbq wood stash as I wanted to smell it. After that just coming into the house was unreal. This is exactly why I did it. It’s earned its keep already for me. Just some things money doesn’t buy. Wood is my master card.
     
  6. Kimberly

    Kimberly

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2015
    Messages:
    5,072
    Likes Received:
    12,819
    Location:
    The Kangaroo State
    I am happy to hear that your stove is giving you more than just a warm house; it is lifting your spirits as well. I think I understand. For me it was years of freezing in the winter and worrying about the electrics costs and I hated the winter months. Every time the electric furnace came on it would make me cringe and I would bump the thermostat down. Now I can get back to enjoying this season of the year.
     
  7. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,179
    Likes Received:
    166,482
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    Temps are dropping tonight. It was 22° on my way home, and it's supposed to be 15 tonight. I came home to a choochin' fire and 72° inside.

    I love my stove, and how it makes my gas bills near non existent.
     
    Gark, BigPapi, Timberdog and 6 others like this.
  8. amateur cutter

    amateur cutter

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    5,997
    Likes Received:
    48,771
    Location:
    Gun Lake MI
    Yep, went from $2400.00yr in propane to about $240.00 for DHW, Clothes dryer & oven. Can't imagine the cost if I'd had to buy gas when it was way high a few yrs ago. Get the tank filled once a year now instead of once a month in winter. Tell me again what my saws & truck are worth?
     
    bear 1998, Gark, BigPapi and 9 others like this.
  9. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    You understand and I believe anyone who has gone through high costs to heat their home in a cold winter has every reason to burn like we all do. Different motivations come out of this but as it boils down, it’s peace of mind when warmth comes in this form. Its huge, flowing, the house becomes WARM. When you don’t feel a draft for long, at this point it’s a solution already for me. Now just wanna share it.
     
  10. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    Priceless if you use it to keep your house warm. Nothing is free but the PAYBACK is in dividends. There’s nothing like this. Comfort is in the eye of the beholder but can’t put a price on something that does more than you expect.
     
  11. mirnldi

    mirnldi

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2017
    Messages:
    429
    Likes Received:
    2,156
    Location:
    Ct
    Yes it’s hard work. But I don’t care. No oil bill. No natural gas bill. I’ll burn wood until I can’t load the stove anymore.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
     
    Gark, amateur cutter, Chris F and 8 others like this.
  12. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    :thumbs::fire: Glad you’re staying warm Tom,along with the rest of you.
     
  13. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    Just what I told my lady earlier. You got the right idea. :campfire:
     
    bear 1998, BigPapi, Rope and 2 others like this.
  14. mirnldi

    mirnldi

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2017
    Messages:
    429
    Likes Received:
    2,156
    Location:
    Ct
    I told my wife. Next time a 3 pack of chains show up in the mailbox, don’t complain I’m spending money on crap...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
     
  15. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    :yes: I guess there’s more than one way a wood nut is considered a smart one.
     
  16. bushpilot

    bushpilot

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2015
    Messages:
    3,240
    Likes Received:
    14,366
    Location:
    Eastern Washington
    Not wanting to throw cold water on the moment (I love wood burning too!) ... but you know to not burn pressure treated lumber, right? Those pieces of dimensional lumber there look pressure treated from here.
     
    BigPapi, FatBoy85 and papadave like this.
  17. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,179
    Likes Received:
    166,482
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    I just rechooched the stove. We're all set for the night. Reload in the am before work.
     
    BigPapi, FatBoy85 and Rope like this.
  18. Rope

    Rope

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2017
    Messages:
    5,752
    Likes Received:
    34,118
    Location:
    Alaska
    The satisfaction that we are proving heat/warmth for our loved ones. Satisfaction from a hard days work. Being able to see the value of the wood pile. Value of the heat it will produce on a cold winters night, value of a job well done, the accomplishment of taking care of things. In the cold, long nights or the time after a storm and there in no electricity, the ability to warm and cook. :stacker::MM::campfire:
     
  19. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    They were processed to be treated like pricked as you see but talked to a worker at the lumberyard where I picked them up. I asked him and he said they were not placed in treatment. He was actually the one placing the wood in the free bins.
     
  20. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,777
    Likes Received:
    66,336
    Location:
    Central PA
    To me, there is no better satisfaction than the wood heat lifestyle.


    :saw: :tree: :axe::stacker: :fire::woodsign:

    Yes I said LIFESTYLE, because that's exactly what it is.

    From harvesting the wood, transporting it home, splitting and stacking it, watching it season over the years and finally bringing it in the house to warm your family. There's nothing quite like it.

    Been doing it for many years now, wouldn't change a thing about it.....

    Congrats on your setup, FatBoy85. Sounds like you have the bug!!