In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Alaska Firewood part 2.... kinda..sorta

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by MikeInMa, Oct 24, 2017.

  1. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,852
    Likes Received:
    114,820
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    I almost, but didn't hijack the other thread with this silliness ~smile~

    There's a show on Discovery - Edge of Alaska. I just watched season3 episode 3

    It takes place following a pretty serious wind storm. There's multiple instances of tree cleanup and felling, using chainsaws and heavy equipment.

    I found it to be entertaining and educational to the point of what not to do.

    Anyways.. if you about some time to kill, try to catch it.
     
  2. Erik B

    Erik B

    Joined:
    May 12, 2015
    Messages:
    5,653
    Likes Received:
    39,095
    Location:
    Western Wisconsin
    It is an interesting show.
     
    Horkn and TurboDiesel like this.
  3. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    Hmmm.
    I kinda sorta wish i had cable...
    Oh well...maybe ill catch it on internet somehow :yes:
     
    Hammy, Horkn and FatBoy85 like this.
  4. Erik B

    Erik B

    Joined:
    May 12, 2015
    Messages:
    5,653
    Likes Received:
    39,095
    Location:
    Western Wisconsin
    Life Below Zero is another fun one to watch.
     
  5. Midwinter

    Midwinter

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2017
    Messages:
    19,846
    Likes Received:
    130,475
    Location:
    Nashua, NH
    I love that show! That and Alaskan Bush People, and Alaska, the Last Frontier. My husband leaves the room when I watch them.
     
    Horkn and TurboDiesel like this.
  6. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,724
    Likes Received:
    224,409
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
  7. Nitrodave

    Nitrodave

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,083
    Likes Received:
    7,444
    Location:
    Grayling Mi.
    I have noticed that the saw that Jeremy uses looks as if it has the Mastermind Saw sticker on it .....
     
    savemoney and Horkn like this.
  8. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    I liked this one a lot. Especially the Inupiak family if I remember correctly.
     
    Horkn likes this.
  9. Mwalsh9152

    Mwalsh9152

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2017
    Messages:
    5,325
    Likes Received:
    38,830
    Location:
    Pelham NH
    never seen Edge of Alaska. I cant stand Alaskan Bush People though. I watched a few episodes when it first came on, and it was so stupid I was actually hoping for something to happen to one of those morons.
     
    VOLKEVIN, yooperdave and Horkn like this.
  10. Sean

    Sean

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2015
    Messages:
    2,873
    Likes Received:
    16,813
    Location:
    Kootenays, South Eastern BC Rockies Canada
    I like edge of Alaska as well. I had never heard of the town McCarthy before. I also like Yukon Men. I was watching Yukon men one day and a guy was cutting the back cut on a tree while someone was right behind the saw pushing on the tree. I was a bit dumbfounded that this would be considered a good idea. Nothing like exposing your full torso to a chainsaw wielded by another man let alone what can happen to the tree. Mountain Men is fun as well. I like watching eustice in the blue ridge mountains do his thing. I love his wood fueled truck. Also find it cool seeing Marty fly his little plane around Alaska and make his income trapping. The last Alaskans is one I look forward to as well......
     
    savemoney, Chvymn99 and MikeInMa like this.
  11. Midwinter

    Midwinter

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2017
    Messages:
    19,846
    Likes Received:
    130,475
    Location:
    Nashua, NH
    They're kind of cute. I like the way they sold out to the Discovery Channel, and now seem to have enough money to pay for cancer treatment, and to buy land in Colorado.
     
    savemoney likes this.
  12. Mwalsh9152

    Mwalsh9152

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2017
    Messages:
    5,325
    Likes Received:
    38,830
    Location:
    Pelham NH
    Im pretty sure the mother and father are at least first cousins
     
  13. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,724
    Likes Received:
    224,409
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.

    Someone else has mentioned it also.....each kid has a different accent.

    One thing about any of the Alaska shows, the scenery is great!

    But with the amount of doufus in most of those shows, well, thats enough of a reason not to watch!

    99 likes them pretty much.

    One thing is for sure; it seems they all burn wood for heat. (As expected) Don't think any of them have heard of the three year plan!
     
    savemoney likes this.
  14. Mwalsh9152

    Mwalsh9152

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2017
    Messages:
    5,325
    Likes Received:
    38,830
    Location:
    Pelham NH
    Pretty sure the Kilcher's on Alaska the Last Frontier burn coal. There is a huge coal seam under their property. You can see it up on the bluffs in some of the beach shots. thats about the only show I watch of that type, because it doesnt seem to be made up bullchit. Seems to be about as close to real as you can get. Lots of redneck engineering, half finished homes etc.

    Granted they live off the land literally minutes from 21st century civilization though lol
     
    savemoney and yooperdave like this.
  15. Midwinter

    Midwinter

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2017
    Messages:
    19,846
    Likes Received:
    130,475
    Location:
    Nashua, NH
    No, they seem to go out and cut a standing beetle-killed tree whenever they run out of firewood! There's one who is building a house out of stacked firewood, with mortar between the splits.
     
    savemoney likes this.
  16. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,852
    Likes Received:
    114,820
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    I wish they'd get the new house moving. The whole firewood walls and mortar, has me scratching my head. I understand wanting to build the house as a "throw back", embracing the old ways,but, I'm not so sure about this one.
     
    savemoney and Midwinter like this.
  17. Midwinter

    Midwinter

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2017
    Messages:
    19,846
    Likes Received:
    130,475
    Location:
    Nashua, NH
    The firewood is the easy part. They are going to need a huge amount of mortar. I hope they have some sort of mixer they can kluge together from their junkyard.
     
    savemoney likes this.
  18. Erik B

    Erik B

    Joined:
    May 12, 2015
    Messages:
    5,653
    Likes Received:
    39,095
    Location:
    Western Wisconsin
    We record that show and the one we watched last night showed a friend dumping a truck load of sawdust to use in making the mortar for the cordwood walls. That is different.
     
    Midwinter likes this.