I have several 1/4 split locus fence posts to cut. A few still in the ground, most are stacked and never used. I have heard stories about sparks flying from the chain when cutting black locus and am figuring that these posts will be hard as can be. I have 2 chains for my saw. My good one and another that had a run in with a pipe. I have dressed the one up that attacked the pipe and it cuts fair. I was wondering. Would you put the old one on to do the locus or just figure to be filing the good one many times? Maybe doesn't matter at all? Kind of figuring if I am going to destroy a chain, it might as well be the old one.
Yes, semi-chisel. If there is a better chain to do the job let me know. I can stop and see if the dealer has one.
I'd go with the new one, I have cut lots & lots of black locust, some pretty old and yes it can throw a spark but I don't think it dulls a chain much quicker than any other good hardwood. If you need to give it a quick dress up with the file so be it.
I am fairly new to sharpening and my kit had a flat file and gage for the rackers. I couldn't figure it out from video. I ask Armbru84 at a recent GTG about it. Come to find out my gauge was different than most, but he figured it out. Will have to go back and file the rackers on my chains now that I know how to use it.
Tweaking the angle? Greater or less angle? Presently filing at 30 degrees. If I go to tweaking, I will use my backup chain. Should be a good learning experience.
Just a quick note Marshel54 I only file the rakers every 3rd or 4th sharpening, don't need it every time.
nothing about this is worrisome. As long as there isnt mud, nails, rocks embed from being used it should be a walk in the park.
Figure I will give it a try in the morning. I want to return the area to yard and the locus should be dry being 1/4 split and the age. Should be some good BTUs.
I run 30/60/10 3/8 full chisel on all but my small saws. Cut everything from locust to pine. Don't fear the wood with your chain, just the metal/dirt/rocks. It cuts just like any other wood, just a bit harder. If you don't want to cut those posts, I'll use them for stacking my wood.
Finish the posts today. Everything went well. Actually it cut easier than some of the logs in my pile. The wood wasn't as good as I envisioned it would be, but it is BTUs anyway and the area needed cleaned.