In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Great news at our cabin...

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Stinny, Oct 5, 2017.

  1. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    It's been 4 years since my son dropped a whole lot of trees at our cabin, to open up the view. No time to get back at it since has left 20' alders growing up through the whole mess. Turns out now... the only way we'll ever get this lower area cleaned out is paying lots of :makeitrain"for equipment and manpower. I'd given up...

    Until today... a whole new possibility just opened up... right outa the blue... all done by others... no $$$... !

    Here's what it looked like before the alders grew up all through the mess... about an acre in area. Can't see most of the downed trees.

    upload_2017-10-5_20-51-15.png

    The 100 acres all around our 8 acre lot has just been bought. The new buyer is going to have his lot select cut over the next 1-2 years. The guy heading that work has contacted me (have known him all my life, very respected logger) and asked if I'd want to have any cutting done on our lot too. One thing led to three, and it looks as though our stumpage $$, bigger than 8", should be more than enough to... cover the $$ of an excavator to clear our area of the mess so it can be mowed next year... leave the good (not rotted) tree length logs, for firewood, stacked off to the right side... and open up the entire view across both mountains (Mt Abram in pic, Saddleback to the left of pic). Might even be a few bucks left over. I can't believe this is happening. Grateful beyond words.
     
  2. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Here's what it looked like 3 years ago... alders are 2-3" at the base now, growing up through it all... :picard:

    upload_2017-10-5_21-16-18.png
     
  3. Mag Craft

    Mag Craft

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Messages:
    4,802
    Likes Received:
    27,736
    Location:
    South East Wyoming
    Sound like a win win. I guess you never know what is right around the corner.
     
  4. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Well, don't that just beat all..........
    Good things come to those who know someone, who knows someone, who happens to be logging nearby who happens to know you.
    Wait, did I get that right? Might be too many someones in there.
    Win, win, win, win , win....
    Of course, we'll need pics of all the magic hapnin. Way too cool.
     
  5. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,173
    Likes Received:
    166,458
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    Ah, Mt Abram. Right down the road from where I used to live off of East Bethel Rd.


    Good for you stinny!
     
  6. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,654
    Likes Received:
    144,622
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
  7. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    I'm not sure if the clearing work can be done this fall. We're running out of fall... so, we'll see. All of the skidder work will be done when the ground's frozen. Should be interesting up there with all of the logging activity going on. My honey and I are planning to haul the JD up to mow everything, next Thursday and the logger is going to meet us there.

    Yup, as things go along, I'll be snappin' plenty of pics. Been a while since I've been on FHC much... but I'm sure I can drive everyone nuts in no time... :whistle::D
     
  8. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    This pic was taken about 3 months ago. Can't even see the felled trees anymore... sure didn't take long.

    upload_2017-10-6_6-30-28.png
     
  9. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,717
    Likes Received:
    224,377
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Great!

    One of those can't see the forest because of the trees sorta thing, no?
     
  10. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Ayuh... :yes:
     
  11. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    That's cool , to have someone come along take care if the mess :thumbs:
    You can sit on the porch watch :cheers:
     
  12. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    The pics don't even close close to showing how bad the mess really is, HD. Hindsight 20/20... I was becoming pretty sure it wasn't worth seeing the view, leaving such a clustahfugg. Yep... I've become a pro at watchin' stuff happen these days... porch will be a nice place to be... :coffee:
     
  13. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,640
    Likes Received:
    130,635
    Location:
    Vermont
  14. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Not a better porch to be on either:yes:
     
  15. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,640
    Likes Received:
    130,635
    Location:
    Vermont
    yup 1 day I'll get an invite to that porch HD hope we are there together:handshake:
     
  16. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Oh come on... no... really... come on... ovah... anytime... :D
     
  17. XXL

    XXL

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2014
    Messages:
    2,935
    Likes Received:
    15,702
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    Very nice but it is going to take some work to keep your fantastic views. Primary succession trees like alder and poplar will take no time in reclaiming this newly exposed real estate. Going at it at least once a year with a decent brush saw will have you enjoying that million dollar view for years to come.
     
  18. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    That "going at it" will probably be my son and son-in-law, and maybe our grandsons eventually. They tried a decent walk behind bush hog for 5 hours a while back. They were well educated afterward as to what they'd be lookin' at to keep things knocked down. The only way they'll have a chance is if this crew can get the area flat enough to mow in the years to come. Not much top soil up there. We'll find out more as they clear it out. Here they were hoggin'...

    upload_2017-10-6_21-37-9.png
     
  19. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    You need goats. Lots of goats, They will clear an area of all the thick underbrush. Doesn't matter what it is, the goats will rid you of it. I've read where some places rent out their goats just for that purpose.
     
  20. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    I'm perty sure that area was fenced in for livestock back in the 1800s Larry. Maybe they had goats... who knows... :thumbs: