In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Quick wood I'd question

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Midwinter, Sep 9, 2017.

  1. Midwinter

    Midwinter

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2017
    Messages:
    19,846
    Likes Received:
    130,475
    Location:
    Nashua, NH
    I'm at the dump, and there's a big pile of this. What is it? IMG_20170909_55791.jpg
     
  2. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,490
    Likes Received:
    113,801
    Location:
    KC Metro
    Leaves are of a Elm species, from I can see...
     
  3. Midwinter

    Midwinter

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2017
    Messages:
    19,846
    Likes Received:
    130,475
    Location:
    Nashua, NH
    I think you are right. I took 6 or 7 pieces. Maybe I'll test that folk wisdom this winter that frozen elm is easier to split.
     
  4. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,185
    Location:
    Central MI
    Good luck. Elm likes hydraulics for sure when it has been cut like that. Splitting by hand you want the pieces no longer than absolutely necessary as the shorter the pieces the easier (relatively) it will split. Also don't be afraid to let those logs sit a year before you attempt to split. You also may need a couple of steel wedges for splitting that stuff or rent a splitter.
     
  5. Midwinter

    Midwinter

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2017
    Messages:
    19,846
    Likes Received:
    130,475
    Location:
    Nashua, NH
    Figures why somebody threw away a whole tree.
     
  6. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    It's BTUs
    Well earned BTUs
     
    Ronaldo, Gark, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  7. JCMC

    JCMC

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Messages:
    1,601
    Likes Received:
    10,119
    Location:
    Just outside of Shushan, NY
    Looks like Elm stringy and hard to split without hydraulics but not impossible. Good firewood
     
  8. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,178
    Likes Received:
    166,479
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    So is the bark. It's elm. Decent wood, just be sure to have a hydraulic or electric splitter. Splitting elm with a maul or axe will make you go insane.:hair::wacky:
     
    Ralphie Boy, Ronaldo, Eric VW and 8 others like this.
  9. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,178
    Likes Received:
    166,479
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    It isn't easier to split when it's frozen. The grain is still interlocking.
     
  10. Midwinter

    Midwinter

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2017
    Messages:
    19,846
    Likes Received:
    130,475
    Location:
    Nashua, NH
    Oh well. I usually find dead, dry elm at the dump. I have never seen fresh green elm there before, so I got snookered. Now the final indignity will be that crazy uncle making a double entendre out of "snookered".
     
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  11. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Elm is pure misery. Fiskars bounces right off. Put it to the curb with a free sign on it.:whistle:
     
  12. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,853
    Likes Received:
    114,822
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    Noodle it in half, cut it to length, and let it sit to season.

    Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
     
    Eric VW and Flatlander Pete like this.
  13. Midwinter

    Midwinter

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2017
    Messages:
    19,846
    Likes Received:
    130,475
    Location:
    Nashua, NH
    Maybe I'll lay it on the ground and stack other wood on top of it, a la Backwoods Savage!
     
  14. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Post it on craigslist and see if Mwalsh9152 will stop over and grab it.:whistle:

    Just funnin' ya.
     
  15. Midwinter

    Midwinter

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2017
    Messages:
    19,846
    Likes Received:
    130,475
    Location:
    Nashua, NH
  16. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    That is quite a haul. That poster has quite some wood piles in the background.
     
  17. Midwinter

    Midwinter

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2017
    Messages:
    19,846
    Likes Received:
    130,475
    Location:
    Nashua, NH
    Someone should invite him to join here, before he deletes his Craigslist post! In a way that wouldn't seem like a scam.
     
  18. Midwinter

    Midwinter

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2017
    Messages:
    19,846
    Likes Received:
    130,475
    Location:
    Nashua, NH
    OK, I invited him, in a non-scammish manner.
     
  19. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,853
    Likes Received:
    114,822
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    Is there a picture of the final haul, with something like a hat for perspective?

    Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
     
  20. Mwalsh9152

    Mwalsh9152

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2017
    Messages:
    5,325
    Likes Received:
    38,830
    Location:
    Pelham NH
    I ended up with family day today. Maybe tomorrow if I have some time. Though, I'm going to be out of town for work next week, so I may not be able to.