In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Jotul Castine Backplate Replacement

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Skier76, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Skier76

Skier76

I had a crack on the backplate in my stove; it was getting worse over time. I sourced the part from Woodman's for $90 to my door.

I've read that some have been able to wrestle out the baffle from inside of the stove. I've never been successful with that method. My course of action: remove the top plate, baffle, then the backplate.

A few notes:

Two 10mm bolts hold the top plate to the body of the stove. Use a small box/open ended wrench to loosen the 10mm bolts. They are tough to access with the limited space, but it's doable. Hit them up with anti seize before reinstalling.

Have some rope gasket or high heat sealer handy. The old stuff (rope gasket) between the baffle and stove body tends to deteriorate.

An ash vac comes in really handy! Clean up what you can while you are in there.

And clean your outlet pipe. This is about the best access you can get.

Remember to move the tabs on the baffle before you attempt to lift it up and out.

This job took under an hour and went smoothly. I've been in the stove before so I knew what I was dealing with.

Of course, pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marvin, FatBoy85 and BuckthornBonnie like this.
  2. Skier76

Skier76

I was happy the firebrick was in good shape despite the crack in the backplate.

[​IMG]

Tabs you'll have to rotate 90 degree before removal.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Backside of the old plate. Glad I removed this before burning season.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. fishingpol

fishingpol

Good project that you could tackle yourself. I've removed the assembly a few times before for cleaning and it is not easy. Awkward angle and heavy assembly.

Did the flat gaskets that sit on the top inner burn plates fall or did they stick to the underside of the assembly? I had one fall between the inner and outer burn plates.
    2017-09-04 07.13.42.jpg
    I've replaced them and secured with adhesive and have them loosen out.

I'll be cleaning the flue soon, I will remove it and take a look around in there.

Marvin and Skier76 like this.
  4. Skier76

Skier76

One of those gaskets stuck to the baffle, the other was stuck to the stove. I like your idea of using some high temp adhesive; I'll definitely use that next time I'm in there.

5. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie

Good job!

Skier76 likes this.
  6. Skier76

Skier76

Here we go again! The "new" backplate has cracked. I'm not sure why this keeps happening. Anyone have an idea on potential causes? It's cracked in the same spot, but not nearly as bit as the other crack I had in the previous plate.

BuckthornBonnie likes this.
  7. moresnow

moresnow

Any way to shield the back plate? I'd be getting real tired of replacing components. Seems odd? Any chance the stove is suffering from a failed gasket/seal that is causing excessively high heat? Almost has to be caused by over heating? Unless there is a inherent stove issue I am un familiar with (very possible:rolleyes:). Good luck!

8. Skier76

Skier76

Thanks! I'm running the Euro intake plate in the stove; wondering if that's part of the issue. I believe that has a larger air opening and it's more centered into the stove.

I don't have a very ideal chimney setup and the stove doesn't often get super hot. I'm usually cruising around 500-600F with hardwood in the stove.

This one has me stumped!

9. webby3650

webby3650

I service a lot of F-400’s, I’ve never seen a cracked back plate. FYI, the baffle is pretty easily removed without pulling the top off. I always remove the baffle and clean from below.