Getting to old for this chit, but drives me nuts seeing wood that needs processed. Body says, "You old fool. You don't need to be doing this." But I love doing it. We have worked through most of the last Wood Fairy dump. It was a semi dump truck load. Thinking about calling the fairy and tell him just to bring out a tri-axle dump load. It would probably satisfy my addiction for a quit a little while.
Marshel54 at our age we have to slow down a bit. Not so much that we want to, rather, too many parts of the body are wearing out, no? Myself, I too am thinking of ordering a truckload of wood to the yard for convenience sake! With the cooler weather coming, it'll be easier too.
They do make replacement parts now. I had a knee replaced 3 years ago. It was a miracle. No problems. A Quack-O-Proctor, that was working on my back, told me to insulate the house and stop the wood hoarding. Yhea! Right! Join the gym and pay some young testostral filled buck to design a workout for me. Not including my drive time and gas to get to the gym. Kind of figure the wood cutting is my work out and it has additional benefits.
It a marathan not a sprint, there Bud... every little bit at a time counts...As long as you can handle it, then do it. Is this something that is in bucked size or log form? Can you set it up for long term storage that you can steadily work at it?
Heck I'm only 34 and feel like I got hit by a truck at the end of a full weekend of cutting, hauling, splitting, and stacking. And with 3 youngsters getting older and demanding more of my time, I'm leaning towards a semi load delivered also. The convenience factor is what I need!! Go out and work for a couple hours here an there instead of having to dedicate a whole weekend.
nonsense !! You might not be young any more, but you still know what you can do. A little at a time. Just don't over do it!! When it's no longer fun, or you can't do it any more, then maybe it's time to try something else. What ever you decide, we're with you, Roger.
The dump comes in log form. Probably 10' to 14' lengths. Marathon is how I work. Buck up maybe 3 to 5 logs and tote the rounds to the splitting area. Split and stack over the next couple of days. The grandsons worked like killing snakes this weekend on the wood. I still have a week or more of rounds to split at my pace Not at all thinking about giving up. Just don't need a semi load to tempt me. "Nonsense" is what I thought when the Quack-O-Practor told me to give it up.
If you are getting log loads you should hardly have to handle the wood between ambitious grandsons and that mini skid steer...
I wouldn't sell the skid steer for 3x of what I have in it. Roll a large round into the bucket, roll it off to the splitter, split in half, roll one half into the bucket, and split the other half into manageable size. Bending over and handling is minimal. Not real efficient, but I am not pressed for time.
Right there with ya! I buy a log truck load about 7 cord every year and cut some from my wood lot . Just keep plugging away slow and steady and a few breaks. keep on Hoarding.
Log loads can be good for some if they don't have wood on their own land. One good thing is there is no brush to contend with. Another is less hauling of the wood to get it to your place. Another is that you can step out the door and start cutting wood...when you want to cut it. One does not have to cut all at one time. Shoot, we have one fellow not too far from us who gets 3 or 4 semi loads every year and always has logs stacked about 10' high and a long pile. He cuts as needed (OWB). I do not consider that log pile as an eye sore but, of course, there are some who would. Some just have their minds made up that a wood pile looks bad...even before they see it.