Dawn and i climbed Mt. Cannon today. Elev 4180' a touristy place (tram) , so we made our stay at the summit short. Dawn making her way up..... A view of lonesome lake from up high....... Dawn still going up...... A nice lookout......
The ascent included a ladder mounted to the slab. Going up..... The ladder view from above...... After our stop at the summit, we descended to lonesome lake.... Beautiful lake up high....
Probably, but getting out of the truck at home this time wasn't as bad. Actually nearly ran down it for the last mile. Gotta be quick with the trekking poles.
Another beautiful day for a hike. Did you leave from Lafayette campground? Lonesome Lake is a nice stop.
Yes we did. We left Lafayette, onto the lonesome lake trail>hi cannon trail>kinsman ridge trail>summit, back down the kinsman ridge trail>lonesome lake trail>dodge cutoff trail>hi cannon trail and lastly the lonesome lake trail. Kind of a mess from the closure. The lonesome lake trail is closed from the hi cannon trail to the dodge cutoff trail for trail maintaince. I think the 3"- 5" of rain in an hour we got a month ago did some major damage.
The trail crew is amazing. Had i known about the seek the peak happening today, we would've done that. There was a section coming down cannon on the kinsman ridge trail that was crazy. First time in awhile my legs began to shake. Dawn navigated it like a mountain goat. Slab with a steep pitch over a good sized drop. It was only about 8 ft long, but enough that i sat for a minute till the leg shakes subsided. I'm not a big fan of heights believe it or not
I think uncertainty for me with steep pitches is that I'm a little tall with a higher center of gravity and that cause some unsteadiness. We went to the Lost River a few years ago and the walkway railings are what I would consider low. I was carrying one of our kids up a steep section and I just did not feel safe, and the handrails were fence dowels that I could not get my hand around.
We went up there a couple of years back , but I cheated and took the tram. My son in Fraconia Notch, Cannon Mt.