In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Does anyone have experience with pallet forks

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Backwoods Savage, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Looking around I see all sort of prices. One of course can also find the forks that simply bolt onto the bucket.

The only one I've seen with bolt on forks did not work well but I think they were just a cheap set. Heavier ones would have worked better. Still, it appears these would be a bit more limited use and perhaps even difficult to see the forks with the bucket on. Also, would they possibly bend the bucket?

In my case we're talking about a Kubota 3301 tractor.

So, better to spend from $135-350 for bolt on or from $550-750 for quick attach forks?

Hammy, Eric VW, Woodsnwoods and 2 others like this.
  2. donm1

donm1

I have a Kubota MX4700 tractor with the LA 844 loader and went through the same decision making process a couple of years ago. I initially did a lot of reading about the clamp on forks which seem to work good for a lot of folks but I was still concerned about bending my bucket and I knew I wanted a stout backstop to keep logs and debris from rolling back onto the hood of the tractor. I really wanted the QA forks but my youngest daughter had just started college and funds were tight. I got lucky and a friend of mine who owns a construction company said he had an old set of 42 inch forks that he would give me. I ended up ordering a solid QA plate and fabricated the bracket to hold the forks along with a heavy duty backstop. I can see about 6 inches of the forks while seated. If I was to do it again, I would use a 2 piece QA adapter plate instead of the solid one so I could see more of the forks. I had almost enough scrap square tubing and flat bar but ended up having to buy some 1/2 inch bar for the forks to ride on. I would guess that I have about $175 in the rig which would have been about the cost of the clamp-on forks. Hope this helps.

Hammy, VOLKEVIN, Eric VW and 4 others like this.
  3. Marshel54

Marshel54

I got the tiller attachment for my Mini from Welcome to QuickAttach Attachments LLC You may want to check them out. They maybe cheaper than OEM. They had free shipping when I got my tiller.
    No experience with the bolt ons.

4. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Gasifier & thewoodlands ... :D Ring... Ring.... Hello?

I made a set of forks for mine. Its not quick attachment, but within 8 minutes I can be changed out. I think the individual attachment for the forks are going to give a better leverage point and the lifting weight are the main advantage.... :handshake:

Gasifier, Hammy, Thor and 3 others like this.
  5. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Dennis the big difference between a quick attach and bolt on Forks is the strength and the lift capacity of the forks bolt on Forks will end up denting your bucket but a 2 lb Sledge can straighten it back out ask me how I know.. plus with your age and physical strength those 42 inch bolt on Forks are not light

Hammy, Thor, Eric VW and 3 others like this.
  6. Butcher

Butcher

Do your self a real big favor and if you got the funds available, get the QA forks for your tractor and forget the bolt on ones. It might be an extra dollar spent but a life time of frustration not dealt with.

Hammy, Thor, VOLKEVIN and 6 others like this.
  7. Backwoods Savage

I'm surprised at how high their prices are and they don't have much for what I want.

8. Marshel54

Marshel54

Was just a thought. My Mini is a Leon Ram (Canadian made) No local dealers and not a lot available for it.

9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I've used some pretty decent HD clamp-on forks on the bucket of a Case 580 backhoe...they are rated at 5k # and are plenty stout...haven't really had any issues with 'em except you cannot see the forks...it takes 2 people to line things up unless want to get on/off a few times to line yourself up. The other thing is they cannot be used to push anything around at all...like if you want to spin a pallet just a bit to get lined up better...no, don't do it. Any side load at all just wrecks things...BTDT...
    I'd go QA...JMO...

10. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Go with the QA forks. You will not be able to see the forks attached to the the bucket.

11. Woodsnwoods

Woodsnwoods

Go with quick attach. You may damage your bucket. I found a set cheap online that I beat and they last forever.

Hammy, Eric VW and Backwoods Savage like this.
  12. Backwoods Savage

Ah ha. I may have found a set of quick attach for $475 which is a whole lot less than most want and they are only about 35 miles from us so we'll no doubt be going there to look.

Chvymn99, Hammy, Thor and 3 others like this.
  13. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

^^^^ is perfect right price and easy to use!! now are you going to start thinking about pallets for wood? imagine blower on back of tractor.. forks on front.. half a cord by door in 15 minutes... you are not getting younger and your beautiful young bride could do that....

Chvymn99, Hammy, Thor and 3 others like this.
  14. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

:yes:

Chvymn99, Hammy, Thor and 2 others like this.
  15. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

The clamp on forks probably cut your lifting ability in 1/2 because the load is so far out from the tractor. You want that load as close as possible, also have plenty of ballast. If your tractor struggles with a load on your forks you probably are causing mechanical problems. Pay for the QA forks and don't look back, they will always be worth good money! Good luck Dennis!

Chvymn99, Hammy, Thor and 5 others like this.
  16. Backwoods Savage

I highly doubt I'll be using pallets for stacking wood. Although I do have a few on hand so who knows. I may use them just so they won't just sit around and rot.

17. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

very good point

18. fuelrod

fuelrod

Never say never :whistle:... it's like putting wheels on your wood!
    DSCN3923.JPG

19. intheBigWoods

intheBigWoods

I just bought these, arrived today. Will post pics and info in a few days.

Titan 43" LW Clamp on Pallet Forks 1,500 lb Capacity w/ Stabilizer Bar

Here is a you tube also.

20. Timberlake0377

Timberlake0377

+1 on the Titan bolt on's. Work perfectly well for what I need which is moving pallets around or generators, air compressors, etc. Probably doesn't have the lifting capacity of dedicated QA forks, and the line of sight kind of sucks, but the price was right and if you go slow, you can get it lined up pretty easy. They're heavy, but manageable to move around with the 2x4 set in place as a backstop. Definitely recommend them for the price.