In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Gardening Gardening

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by mattjm1017, Jan 18, 2014.

1. fishingpol

fishingpol

Cabbage worms started on the broccoli leaves. :mad: I saw the damage and then had to really look for them. They ate quite a bit on multiple plants. I'll spray some preventative BT when the rain lets up.

20170618_054357.jpg

Pallet Pete, M2theB, Chvymn99 and 2 others like this.
  2. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Holy cow! your garden is bigger than most people's property! :yes:

3. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

I'm just fortunate to have the ability to utilize my neighbors garden plot, while allowing him to still grow a few stuff...

Shawn Curry, Pallet Pete and papadave like this.
  4. billb3

billb3

IMG_0560.JPG
    Took 30 days for that tomato to turn red, but it has finally done it.

5. fishingpol

fishingpol

Not to rush summer by, but does anyone plant for a fall garden? My son wants to expand the garden out and I'm thinking of fall vegetables.

I make lots of stews and soups in the winter, so I'm thinking onions, celery and root vegetables. I need to read up on this and figure when things need to be planted. I read starting them inside is better so the sun does not dry the seedlings out.

6. billb3

billb3

I find for Fall crop I have to have them started by August 1 st. Onions are out as they will winter over and bulb the next Summer. ( at least with long day onions which is what you need to grow in Ma ) They also tend to go to seed and whatever bulb they have gets soft. Kale, broccoli and cauliflower will withstand some of the cold. I put a little plastic cold frame over some cauliflower and broccoli one Winter and they stayed somewhat green and alive but the florets were tiny and horrible looking. Dunno if I'll try again to see if I have better luck. Lettuce likes the cold weather and just grows slower in the shorter days. Gone though with the first frost or two. Carrots will winter over and keep during a mild Winter or heavily mulched but they tend to rot in the Spring. But again they grow very little in the short days. Swiss chard, spinach and beets will do OK in the cooler weather. Gone with the first frost. If the seed packet says 50 days to harvest I add about 20% for shortening rather than expanding day length and dropping rather than rising temps. Which is why ( for here anyway) it seems August 1st is the cutoff for most of the cool weather vegetables.
    I was early getting the garden started this year and then messed up my leg and have had other more pressing things to deal with. so now I'm late getting direct seeded stuff in. Still plugging away at it though.

Did get some tomato clones started.
    The first 6:

IMG_0557.JPG
    Some in potting soil, some in plain water.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  7. fishingpol

fishingpol

Thank you for the info. Carrots, Swiss chard and spinach would fit the bill nicely.

Pallet Pete likes this.
  8. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

This morning doings.... watered the garden for another few days... IMG_1116.JPG IMG_1117.JPG IMG_1118.JPG

9. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    No veggies in my garden but everything else is blooming nicely. I had to put up a deer fence to keep the deer away from the roses.
    Here is the peonies. Fortunately the deer won't eat them.
    100_4066.JPG

Roses are doing great behind the fence.

100_4067.JPG

The deer won't eat lavender but it is still behind a fence. it is almost ready to bloom.

100_4068.JPG

10. Shawn Curry

Shawn Curry

Nice gardens everyone! :thumbs: Amy and I have really been enjoying ours - first time we've had a veggie garden. Just over a month in.

IMG_0864.JPG IMG_0871.JPG IMG_1295.JPG IMG_1298.JPG IMG_1300.JPG IMG_1302.JPG

Looks like we probably missed a heck of a sunset at the lake tonight...

IMG_1304.JPG

11. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Eric VW and Shawn Curry like this.
  12. Shawn Curry

Shawn Curry

Well that mailbox was atop one of the fence posts in my grandmothers prized flower garden, which unfortunately we had to dig up this year to correct some septic issues. We transplanted what we could and now that's where the veggie garden is. I pulled out the rest of the fence posts but that one wouldn't budge..

It's kinda sentimental to me anyway. The flag is always up, cause we're always sending our love to heaven. :)

13. fishingpol

fishingpol

Any critters getting in there Shawn? A woodchuck lopped off all my morning glories the other day.

:mad:

Eric VW and Mitch Newton like this.
  14. Shawn Curry

Shawn Curry

Surprisingly, no; at least not yet anyway. I think the fact that it's 5 feet from our sliding glass door where we always sit has helped. I have been planning to add a fence, when I can get around to it.

We had a chipmunk early on; I think he had been living in the one of the ground cover ivy plants that we removed. He nibbled on one of our hot peppers, but it's going to make it. We kept chasing him away and he hasn't been back.

Also my sister's dog caught this little guy:

IMG_0884.JPG

This morning, there was a deer in the yard and that one does worry me a bit. On the other hand, I do always like some meat with my salad... :rootintootin:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    KsKent, bocefus78, fishingpol and 2 others like this.
  15. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:hair: little gnats in my plants moved into the large ones I recently repotted, they are everywhere :doh: Must get control of my housekeeper watering them and or telling me they are bone dry, but that is a scary proposition :eek:

Eric VW likes this.
  16. billb3

billb3

I'm still watering with the hydrogen peroxide mix. I'm not even sure they are in the plant pots any more. Down to just one or two but those one or two are still annoying. It took several weeks even in the plant pot I put outside for signs of the little buggers being gone. That's our plan B, put all the plants outside to bake in the sun and if we lose a plant or two so be it. I think I'm gonna make my own potting soil from now on.

wildwest likes this.
  17. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I am going to keep at the H2O2, not willing to lose any plants at this point, but I have an awesome house keeper that likes to flood them...... One of the new plants is really bad, either she will take it home and live with the gnats or stop flooding it (new self watering pot). Ya, a bit annoyed with her.

Eric VW likes this.
  18. KsKent

KsKent

0701170844.jpg Garlic harvest this morning! We have now picked three bigger tomatoes, several cherry tomatoes, and one pepper this year. This year our garden doesn't amount to much as compared to some years. This garlic was planted last fall before the decision to scale the garden down was made.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  19. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Dang, I just picked the garlic scapes the other day, prolly another 4-6 till its ready to harvest

Attached Files:

20. savemoney

savemoney

Interesting story. The is some reason for a mailbox in a Garden. It is where you put your hand tools and gloves. Very handy for that.

papadave, KsKent and Shawn Curry like this.