In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Greenhouse and garden 17

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Pallet Pete, Jun 25, 2017.

  1. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    looming pretty good this year!

    Lots of pepper variety, tomato, peas, cucumber, zucchini, eggplant, onion, bush beans, bush pickle, strawberry and some other stuff I can't think of it all but it sure looks nice!

    IMG_1637.JPG IMG_1640.JPG IMG_1638.JPG IMG_1639.JPG IMG_1641.JPG IMG_1642.JPG
     
  2. Loon

    Loon

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    6,560
    Likes Received:
    37,138
    Location:
    North of the border
    A lot bigger than our stuff Pete.:yes:

    Was just informed she wants a compost bin, so guess I know what i'll be doing today.:picard::cheers:

    Do you guys use one?
     
  3. billb3

    billb3

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    10,513
    Likes Received:
    54,562
    Location:
    SE Mass

    I do. Tons of lawn clippings and Fall leaves. Along with kitchen vegetable scraps . Caught a raccoon in there last night snagging a free meal.
    Mine is a lazy compost pile - just a 25 foot length of fence stood up in a circle with stuff tossed in that doesn't get stirred up any where near enough.
    I have 6 of these circle right now with one of them having a potato plant growing in the exact same spot a potato plant grew last year. I guess I should have dug them up. LOL
     
    Thor, Chvymn99, fishingpol and 3 others like this.
  4. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    I have a nice rolling composted that was a gift. It has a lot in it but I haven't remember to buy the composting enzyme additive this year so it probably won't be ready for next year.

    We used to just pile it in a little pallet bun but the rodents got really bad...:confused:
     
    Thor, billb3, Jack Straw and 4 others like this.
  5. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Looks great Pete. I like the "u" shape to the beds to get around and weed.

    As far a composting. We have a stand alone and a rolling one made from a rain barrel. We mulch all the grass clippings back into the lawn.
    The first stage stand alone composter gets all the leaves and house vegetable and fruit scraps, coffee grounds, filters and napkins.

    The rolling composter get rotated every few days to introduce air in. I also have a thermometer to check that it is active. I put some finished compost on an area of the lawn that never seemed to thicken. After a few weeks, it looks great. The current batch is about due for a check up. It is amazing how much food waste is kept out of the waste stream.
     
    billb3 and Loon like this.
  6. Loon

    Loon

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    6,560
    Likes Received:
    37,138
    Location:
    North of the border
    Ended up running into town as this was gonna get thrown out at the plant.
    Few holes done and instant composter.:yes: No food stuff going in gang as we have way too many critters hanging around as it is.:salute:
    A little Thompsons WaterSeal and should be good for a few years.:thumbs:

    Loon Buddy and Emma.:cheers:

    [​IMG]
     
    Chvymn99, XXL, papadave and 1 other person like this.