In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Trees planted

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Gark, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Gark

Gark

papadave's post (walnut saplings) got me to reminiscing on the trees we've planted on our 2 acres. This walnut, with 2 others, was planted from seed 20 years ago.
    IMG_0092.JPG
    Others from seed: 2-catalpas, 4-honeylocusts, 3-silver maples, 1-buckeye, 4-pin cherry trees. From potted trees: 1-Norwegian red, 1-white dogwood, 1-cedar, 6-pine/spruce, 1-pearapple, 1-apricot, 3-sugar maples, 1-magnolia, 1-redbud and about 4 black locusts which popped up on their own.
    Still battling the invading mulberry trees that want to pop up every other square inch on the property.
    I love trees.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  2. papadave

papadave

Hey Gark , we did this a few years ago too, but it was Oak and a few Blue Spruce. Two of the Spruce are finally doing pretty well, and only about 4 of the Oaks made it.
    I really need to do some thinning on this place.
    What kind of soil conditions do you have? We're on a lot of sand until about 3', then get into a little clay. Beyond that, no idea.

Eric VW and Gark like this.
  3. Gark

Gark

We have clayey soil but fortunately they left a good layer of topsoil on it all which helps get baby trees started I think. about 2 years after planting, they all started growing like crazy.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    brenndatomu, Eric VW and papadave like this.
  4. bushpilot

bushpilot

We can't get a mulberry to grow, send us some!

We have planted trees everywhere we have lived, usually fruit trees. Someone else usually is the one to benefit, but that's OK.

Gark, Eric VW, papadave and 2 others like this.
  5. Minnesota Marty

Minnesota Marty

bushpilot - Greg
    When we plant trees we do so with the understanding that we will rarely enjoy the full benefit of our labors. But, to me it is the perfect example of "pass it on".
    The other thing that I have come to the realization is that pruning a established tree is almost as good as planting a new tree. If you want a tree to grow, prune it. It will grow. Alot of people are sorry afraid of pruning a tree. I had an arborist tell me that the only thing you really need to know is don't prune in May and June in this part of the world. The Good Lord will take care of the rest.

Marty

Gark, Eric VW and papadave like this.
  6. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Magma.... then China.
    :whistle:
    :rofl: :lol: