In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Noticing a difference already.

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by Gasifier, Feb 23, 2014.

  1. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    I ended up buying 40 bags of the Curran Softwood Pellets. I had heard they were good from some, many around here say it is more of a preference as to weather you buy the Hardwood, Softwood, or the blend. I have not tried the Hardwood yet. And probably won't from what I have seen.

    I am noticing a difference already burning the Curran Softwood Pellets. Burning cleaner for me than the blend, and the ash they leave is light and fluffy and easier to clean. I am currently mixing them in the hopper with the nasty, dirty burning Greene Supremes. I am doing about a 50/50 mix just to get rid of the Grinch Supremes. I have about 85 bags of pellets and that should get me through the rest of the year. I noticed a real big difference when I just dumped a bag of the softies in and they were going through the stove. But even with 50/50 mix things are better.

    Next year I will be sure to get nothing but good burning pellets stocked up. I like buying from a locally owned and operated manufacturer. And help with the jobs in the area. So I may go with the Curran Softies from now on. And a local stove store sells the Cubex(?) I think. They ran out already this year though. So I will try some of them next year as well.

    Of the ones I have burned this year it seems the Timber Heat were decent, the Curran Blend were decent, the Curran Softies seem to be burning better for me. Did I say the Grinch Supremes really are crap? I can't believe I made the mistake of buying a ton of them. After I already burned through 6 bags of them and didn't like them. :mad: But they were there and I was there and I needed pellets and they were cheap. :D Never again. :zip:
     
    gbreda, 343amc, imacman and 1 other person like this.
  2. imacman

    imacman

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    Messages:
    6,633
    Likes Received:
    27,529
    Location:
    Denver, NC
    A combo of Timber Heat for shoulder seasons, Curran softies for normal winter temps, and the Cubex (if you can get them) for the real cold would be a great stash, IMO.

    Excellent replacements for the Cubies would be Sets, Turmans, Hamer's, Barefoots.

    Replacements for the TH might be Presto-Logs, Stove Chow, Fireside Ultra.
     
  3. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    I never see any of those in the Ogdensburg, NY area. I am trying to not drive too far to get pellets. I live 4 miles from where I work, my wife is 4 miles from her work, and the places I am buying pellets are all under five miles from the house. I like not spending the extra money on the gas and wear and tear on the vehicles. I do, however, make it to Watertown, NY once every other month or so though. So I will have to remember to include that in my searches for pellets. See who sells what down there by making some phone calls before I go down. Maybe grab a ton, or a half a ton each time I go.
     
  4. imacman

    imacman

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    Messages:
    6,633
    Likes Received:
    27,529
    Location:
    Denver, NC
    I remember a dealer on the "other" forum that had a shop on the north shore of Oneida Lk. Can't remember the name though.
     
  5. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Thanks for the info. Putting the names of these pellets in my notes in phone so when I see pellets I will check this list to see if they are on it.
     
  6. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Ya. I rarely make it down that way. That is 2 hours from me.
     
  7. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    That's a good list that Pete put together for you Gas:)
     
  8. imacman

    imacman

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    Messages:
    6,633
    Likes Received:
    27,529
    Location:
    Denver, NC
    Thanks bud! It's what I'd use myself if I could find them all nearby. :D
     
  9. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    I'll never see the curran 's or cubex down here :(, but everything on that list has run thru my hopper all winners no dogs in that group:)
     
    DexterDay likes this.
  10. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Verified again this morning. The 50/50 mix of the Curran softwood and junk Grinch "Supreme" is burning much, much better. These bags will be enough to get me all he way through April. After these are gone I can't wait to burn only the good stuff. The Curran Softies seem to be really offsetting the other junk.

    So. How the Curran softies burn is apparently creating a hotter fire to help the "Supremes" burn more thoroughly? Is that what is happening?
     
  11. imacman

    imacman

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    Messages:
    6,633
    Likes Received:
    27,529
    Location:
    Denver, NC
    That, and probably the lower ash level is helping keep the burnpot cleaner.......hotter fire.
     
    Gasifier likes this.
  12. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    Sounds like you got a winner the Gas:thumbs:
     
    Gasifier likes this.
  13. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Yup. The difference in enjoying the pellet stove or not is a good pellet!
     
    gbreda and will711 like this.
  14. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    Just had to figure out what your stove and set up likes:) glad it's all coming together for ya man :thumbs: lets celebrate:whistle::drunk:
     
    gbreda likes this.
  15. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    The stove is still running strong with this mix. I have not cleaned it in four days. I will clean it tomorrow because I am working 12-14 hours today. The Ash is starting to pile up. Nice light fluffy Ash though. Normally I would have had to shut it down after two days and clean the burn pot out and go ahead and clean the rest of the stove. The Curran Softwood Pellets are making a big difference.