In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Looking for new Couch/Loveseat/Sectional...

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Chvymn99, May 19, 2017.

1. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Ok... In the market for new furniture. :faint:... Ours is getting in need of replacement. I know what I want, but it appears that the two cats aren't in line with my ideal replacement. Is there any way to keep cats from attacking leather? All the fabric upholstery ones, I really haven't have as "comfortable" as say the leather or even the fake leather ones. Do you know of any good quality fabric ones that when you set in that you just kinda of melt away in?

2. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Yes!

3. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

We have something that looks like a microfiber or fake suede leather. It feels good at first, but quickly gets hot and sticky.
    Might as well get real leather.
    And stay away from the cheapo furniture stores. You really get what you pay for!! Ashley Furniture had a BIG going out of business sale here. Lasted for months. We were able to order in 2 couches for 265$ each. 70% off ! How can you go wrong? Right?... I got 2 of the biggest pieces of junk ever made!
    AND!!! they never went out of business!!!

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  4. Minnesota Marty

Minnesota Marty

Check out Costco for furniture. We bought some Pulaski recliners. They are great and of course well priced. These are leather but they have others. Check out online then check in the store.

5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yes, furniture is one of those "buy once, cry once" purchases...you get what you pay for by and large.
    I spent $750 on a large leather recliner 10-12 years ago...it has held up very well! The cheapy recliner before that...not so much
    As far as keeping cats off the furniture, yeah right! About the best thing I know of short of the declawing thing is this https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...WP5O5G&usg=AFQjCNHY79rkXpPW1Bb1HmDhtFaOfPFdAg
    We put them on a kitten that we were petsitting because he was shredding the place...put a stop to that! :yes:
    You have to put new ones on every 3-4 weeks, but it sure saves the house/furniture...and they can still have the pleasure of stretching their claws out (or whatever it is that they are doing) but with minimal/no damage

6. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Chvymn99 only thing I can say is make sure it sits high enough.. as I get older it's a PITA to get up out of a couch that my azz is a foot lower than my knees! I also am over 6 foot ... so I want a good 7 foot couch so I can stretch out on it! my wife wants to get rid of my comfortable England 7 footer cause it's a french country style and colors don't match new wall colors! I say paint walls different color.. she says NO! she was going to replace with 6 foot cheapo couch.. I said ahh no... we (she really) bought some microfiber couch covers for now .... until I give in and buy her what she wants...

7. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Hey Chvymn99 , I have seen memory foam in alot of things lately (shoes, bedding) and when I was still selling office furniture some of the $$ chairs were using some in the seat, and it was "Aaaaahhhhh"

Cat? I clipped the nails on our previous cat, never even needed to scratch if thats an option, this new indoor/outdoor cat, well, not sure I want to keep her nails short for her own protection outside and she does not appreciate clipping like the Siamese did. Anyway we shoo her off verbally when she tries it here, working ok, but we do have some puncture holes in the pleather recliner I bought a couple years ago.

Agreed, pleather gets hot, but our analine leather set did too.... Fake suede was trashed in 2 years.

I bought some awesome couch covers years ago, they are 2 piece, one part for the seat cushions and another part that covers the frame and goes under the cushions, never sags and look good:)

8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Furniture stores seem to go into the same basket as used car dealers. But we too have found it is usually best to not buy cheap stuff and it really does end up cheap but expensive in the long run.

9. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

and talking to them... :D....well....:faint:.... Yeah...:rofl: :lol:...

10. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

Buy Scotty Overkill's used furniture, I don't think it ever gets used!

11. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

12. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Well there suppose to be here tomorrow. :thumbs:... I ended up getting some leather ones. Already started trying to train the cats for trimming there claws... 1 cat not so bad the other one is named El Diablo for a reason.... let's just say she's two and I'm zero...:hair: ... but I'm going to put some heavyweights sheets or curtains to put on the back were they like to lay by the windows... we shall see...

13. papadave

papadave

14. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

bogieb & wildwest .... any advice on how to trim a cats nails that is anti social? :D

15. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Two people, one restrain and one clip. Restraining: I am right handed, left hand scruff him up high on his neck so when you pull backwards so his face and teeth are controlled. With right hand put front paws between fingers and pin his hips between your elbow and waist. That's how we did it at the humane society anyway. Alternatively, though it would be hard to get one paw at a time out, wrap him in a towel.

bogieb, Eric VW, brenndatomu and 2 others like this.
  16. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Also depending on the cat and how they feel about water, sometimes the sound of running water standing by a sink kinda gives them a deer in the headlights reaction and they don't struggle as much.

bogieb, Eric VW, brenndatomu and 2 others like this.
  17. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

I tried the towel method last weekend twice... she's white fur, and I couldn't hold her and see the white claws...:cool:... to clip. Even the other half has a heck of time trying to clip them... she's one of those if she says pet me that's fine, but other than than that don't...:loco: :crazy:

I'm probably more concerned about the other one since he's a bit younger and more rambunctious.... El Diablo is getting old and doesn't horse play as much...

18. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Towel method can work for some things but agreed, fishing out one paw at a time, with the other 3 limbs struggling and possible the mouth sounds pretty hard. If you push on her lil paw knuckles the whole nail gets exposed to you can get the sharp stuff off without quicking them (clot with cornstarch if you do and if it doesn't stop by itself). If El Diablo is still kitten-ish age that would be an advantage to tolerating clipping nails or possibly even liking it. PS, I use human "toenail clippers", they are easier for me to maneuver than dog/cat clippers. I'd help you if we were closer, sorry.

Eric VW and Chvymn99 like this.
  19. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Well I watch a few YouTube videos....:whistle:.... modified it a bit. I used a winter blanket on top of my table, allowing me more control of her. Covered her head, and got one paw done and she wasn't too pizzed afterwards either.... yea she's the cat that would sit on the cat tree in the corner wait for you to walk by and then swipe at you if she was in one of those moods, but most of the times she just does her own thing.....

20. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

There here.... :ups:....

Attached Files: