I thought they might be the same species. Just different trees. Kind of like how you don't know you have birds eye maple until you open up the log.
You got me thinking with this grain that Ive picked up something that might be sycamore and not maple as well.
You would know if it was sycamore by the way it splits. It has interlocking grain like elm. It doesn't split, it tears. I agree with walt - quartersawn sycamore. Beautiful boards!
Nice eye! Of course, you have a few on your property. Spencer has some experience with sycamore too...
Um I have never split elm or sycamore unless I didnt know what I was splitting. But I have got some of these hardwood blocks from a pallet processing yard and they gave these free. Some of the blocks seem to have a different smell to it than oak. Im smelling new wood if that serves a purpose and seeing it too. The weight of it gives it away but i dont know what it really is. Its almost twisted but splits clean. Maybe I should post pics of it to see where it might go. Just dont ask for leaves or whatnot.